There are 189 users in the forums

Way Too Early 53-man Roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fan49:
i cant be the only one to see a few catches by carrier and say, wait who was that and how did he get that...

I'm right there with ya
MOVED TO APPROPRIATE THREAD
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on May 13, 2015 at 9:16 AM ]
couple things which probably have already been talked about.

1: Bush is making more money than Hunter who's coming off two serious injuries...I think with the drafting Davis the writing is on the wall for Hunter.
2: Carrier just got a extension, I don't see Bell contributing much (maybe in the red-zone) this year...don't think he will be active game days though.
3. To think that Patton will get cut in favor of a UDFA is kinda silly...Patton is cheap, young, and has experience on the team..I think they have 5-6 WRs active and the UDFA better love ST if they want to be on the team.
4. I think you need to move Pears up the list, he is has over a million in salary this year, he will be active on game days.
5. Agreed Harold needs to pack on some LBs, but Skuta was rolling around at 250 last year
6.Wilhoite is our starting strong-side LBer..period. Hicks was a reach in the 3rd IMO,Kendricks went before us in the 2nd and is pretty small to be a 3-down LB. Tartt is almost the same size as him.
7. Ward is our nickle CB, DJ IMO should be a starting outside CB, wright was down right awful but Baalke has been able to take lemons and turn them into lemonade ...also don't count out Reaser kid has some ability when healthy.

training camp should be crazy...a lot of new faces and young players trying to finally get some snaps
^^^ Agreed on all 7 of your points (see above), although I think Hunter sticks around while still not making the active 46 in favor of Bush.

Hope it's okay that I'm piggybacking on your post 9erslifer and treating this as a 53 projection thread for all (if not just let me know and I'll delete and put in a different thread).
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
A couple issues, they just gave Carrier a 2yr extension, and a $400K bonus.

I doubt Bush, who got a 1yr $2.5M deal, is inactive over Hunter or even Davis.

Bellore, who was signed for ST purposes, makes this team, as he has $305K in LTBE incentives, which is always an indication that that player makes the roster.

Dahl I think, and fear makes the roster, as he has a high guarantee in his base salary, had they intended to let him go, theyb would have been better off cutting him before they redid his deal, and saved $1.7M, now it;s only $650K saved.

I would personally drop Celek for Carrier, drop a OL for Bellore, I think Wheeler has a better shot at making the roster at ILB due to a $1M cap hit.
Yeah, I know. But looking at the roster we have now that would mean we go with only 8 OL (I CANNOT see us only carrying 8 OL), cut people like Reaser and go with maybe 5 CB's. I admit I forgot about Bellore. And that would mean that Moody, and perhaps Skov, have slim chances of making it. I disagree about Celek for Carrier, but they both haven't really wowed me though. I see you about Dahl. But with Tartt, a much better talent, I just cannot see how he stays.

Well we've gone with 8 healthy OL before, and 8 Total, we went 9 last year only due to Marcus Martin's injury, as he was the 9th OL on the roster. So it's possible.

When I compare Carrier vs Celek, Carrie has $400K gtd, where Celek has $25K gtd, so it shows that they see more in Carrier than Celek.

I can see Dahl cut, but he has gtd money so it may make it more difficult.
Money being the only reason Dahl might occupy a roster spot for yet another season? (But then, this is a strong roster overall.) I mean, if they see more in Carrier over Celek I can't where, the money be damned. But like I said, neither has really wowed me. I'd look to replace both. But from my eye Celek is better than Carrier.
We tend to have about 2-3 Special teams picks on the roster so....

Dahl will probably stay at the expense of McCray because of money and special teams, I see Bellore over Moody and I think Skov might bring more special teams value as well.

Beyond that..definitely Carrier over Celek and not just because of money...I really don't know what anyone sees in Celek...they certainly were not seeing it on the field though.
Fixed a few things. I was reminded about Bellore yesterday so I fixed that. But it really don't change my opinion about our ILB situation. And how do we make Skov fit on the 53, or even 46? You think we go with 5 CB's? 3 ILB? 7 OL? Doubtful! And conceded the Celek vs. Carrier. However, as I stated in my fix neither has wowed me. And apparently they haven't really impressed the coaching staff or FO. We just drafted two at that position, and I refuse to think that was just "BPA". Somebody somewhere wasn't thrilled at the what we have.

Skov is my bubble guy/ dark horse...if we do go thin somewhere I could see him sneaking onto the roster. For example we could surprise and keep only 3 TE's...then I could see Skov making it for the special teams value and backup ILB utility.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
^^^ Agreed on all 7 of your points (see above), although I think Hunter sticks around while still not making the active 46 in favor of Bush.

Hope it's okay that I'm piggybacking on your post 9erslifer and treating this as a 53 projection thread for all (if not just let me know and I'll delete and put in a different thread).

yeah I'm all for competition at RB, if Hunter is back 100% (was a top COP back when healthy) then it would be hard to cut him...Davis or Hunter won't make the 53 man roster though. Davis is actually a very good pass blocker and is a 3 down back and is much bigger than Hunter.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182289-post-draft-man-depth-chart/

Dahl I think, and fear makes the roster, as he has a high guarantee in his base salary, had they intended to let him go, theyb would have been better off cutting him before they redid his deal, and saved $1.7M, now it;s only $650K saved.

To be fair they also redid Dahl's deal before they drafted Tartt, who (if Baalke is to be believed) may have been a pure value pick who they weren't accounting for when the redid Dahl's deal.

So, after the addition of Tartt they're now saving less money than they would have otherwise if they hadn't touched Dahl's contract, but they're still saving money by cutting him.

Of course this is all a little complicated by all of us (I'd guess) just really wanting Dahl to be off the team.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Oops. I'll delete out my post and put it over there.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
couple things which probably have already been talked about.

1: Bush is making more money than Hunter who's coming off two serious injuries...I think with the drafting Davis the writing is on the wall for Hunter.
2: Carrier just got a extension, I don't see Bell contributing much (maybe in the red-zone) this year...don't think he will be active game days though.
3. To think that Patton will get cut in favor of a UDFA is kinda silly...Patton is cheap, young, and has experience on the team..I think they have 5-6 WRs active and the UDFA better love ST if they want to be on the team.
4. I think you need to move Pears up the list, he is has over a million in salary this year, he will be active on game days.
5. Agreed Harold needs to pack on some LBs, but Skuta was rolling around at 250 last year
6.Wilhoite is our starting strong-side LBer..period. Hicks was a reach in the 3rd IMO,Kendricks went before us in the 2nd and is pretty small to be a 3-down LB. Tartt is almost the same size as him.
7. Ward is our nickle CB, DJ IMO should be a starting outside CB, wright was down right awful but Baalke has been able to take lemons and turn them into lemonade ...also don't count out Reaser kid has some ability when healthy.

training camp should be crazy...a lot of new faces and young players trying to finally get some snaps

yeah Reaser has some serious skills and his bloodline is of Sean Taylor...Yes I agree pretty much with your points, think Wright better pan out in training camp,don`t want him taking up a roster spot for someone who can be useful to us.

why is Lemonier a goner when we have Aldon for 1 year left and Brooks getting in trouble?

I thought I saw somewhere that they are getting rid of the 46 and letting all 53 dress on gameday
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

I thought I saw somewhere that they are getting rid of the 46 and letting all 53 dress on gameday

I Believe that would be for thursday night games, as there are way too many deals with per game roster bonuses tied to the 46 man roster on gamedays to get rid of the 46 man rule.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Oops. I'll delete out my post and put it over there.

No worries at all!
^^^^ There has been talk about expanding to more than 46 (it used to be 45), but that's just talk at this point, as far as I know.

The logic behind it is that having the full 53 active on game days would give a competitive # of bodies advantage to teams that aren't struggling with injury, so only allowing 46 to play makes sure that both teams have the same number of players available to actually play in the game.
Share 49ersWebzone