There are 204 users in the forums

Way Too Early 53-man Roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok, I know it's way too early, and I know my prediction will probably change a bit once camp starts and we've seen a few pre-season games. But I just couldn't resist the fun of it. As always the italicized will not make the 46 gameday. Anyone else not named is cut or otherwise released. And always keep in mind that we cannot keep everyone. There will be some surprising, painful cuts.

QB – 2
C. Kaep
B. Gabbert
I truly wish we can find a guy to upgrade that #2 spot. If Kaep go down we are truly f**ked. I have NO faith that Crappert can go at least 500 if Kaep is out for a few games.

RB – 4
C. Hyde
K. Hunter
M. Davis
R. Bush
This backfield is crowded, but all four bring something little different of what we need. We have a combo of speed, power running, blocking, and catching. And with any combo of either two of these backs in the pro-set look the defense really won't be able to key on anyone or anything. Davis has the ability to separate in the open field and has pretty good hands, plus he's very good on short yardage downs. If he betters his blocking technique (as his willingness to block isn't in question) Bush may have a hard time dressing on game days, especially against NFC West teams.

FB – 1
Trey Millard
Not really much to see here. Hard to see how Bruce Miller stays on the roster given his legal troubles. But I admit I don't have the latest so feel free to correct me here. I'm kind of excited to see what we have in Millard. He's more of a true FB for sure.

TE – 4
V. Davis
V. McDonald
D. Carrier
B. Bell
*Rory "Busta" Anderson (UFI)

Here's where some of the fun begins. Of the TE's on the roster currently only two are real locks in my mind – Davis and Bell, and Bell will probably not make the 46. Given Busta's injury issues, Trent will more than likely stash him away neatly on the UFI or some other injury list that won't count him on the roster. I would not be surprised to see McDonald supplanted by Bell. Imma concede Carrier over Celek only because, IMHO, neither has particularly wowed me. And I don't think they've wowed the coaching staff or FO all that much either. We just drafted two at that position (one a QB convert for crying out loud), and nobody will convince me that that was simply a "BPA" thing either. I wasn't the only one unimpressed with the TE position. So in my mind I won't be surprised to see both axed. After all, Busta could see the field in 2015, he only missed two games in 2014 due to a torn triceps.

WR – 5
A. Boldin
T. Smith
E. Ellington
J. Simpson/Rookie
Q. Patton/Rookie
*D. Smelter (UFI)

Of the 9 undrafted rookies the FO brought in 5 were WR's, plus a drafted one (likely won't play in 2015 due to ACL tear). This is the clearest sign yet that the FO seeks to seriously upgrade the spots behind Smith and Boldin. This tells me that one, or perhaps two, of this group – more than likely Patton and perhaps Simpson – gets cut. Personally, I think Patton has a tall task at making this roster if any of these undrafted guys show any promise. And considering that Trent has resorted to throwing numbers at the problem it's hard for me to imagine that at least one of the five won't impress. Of that group I think have the best chance of breaking through: Issac Blakeney, DeAndrew White, and Dres Anderson.

OL – 8
J. Staley
A. Boone
M. Martin
B. Thomas
A. Davis
D. Kilgore
E. Pears
T. Brown

In that order. I think it's a big gamble to go with only 8 OL. But a conceded point. And we cannot keep everyone. Hopefully Silberman gets to the PS. Pears and Brown will likely compete to dress on gamedays. This is a very flexible OL depth chart. If there's an injury at an OT spot look for Boone (and maybe Thomas) to swing over and Kilgore or Pears to OG, giving Brown and Silberman time to development.

DE/DT – 4
D. Dockett
T. Carradine/A. Armstead
A. Armstead/ T. Carradine
Q. Dial/T. Jerrod-Eddie

I fully expect Cowboy to retire. (If not this will be edited.) Whatever the case I expect Ramsey to be cut. I just cannot see how he'll fit on this roster. Also, there will be a battle between TJE and Q. Dial, and this year one will be out. Cannot keep them both unless Trent has an excuse to stash one on one of the injury list. If Cowboy stays we could keep 5 here, or both Dial and TJE gets cut. I may be the only one with this opinion but I see Tank no better than a really good rotational guy. That's why I think that Armstead will start, maybe not day one, but by week 4 or so. He's a far better talent than Tank. If Cowboy stays that will give the 49ers the rare luxury to take our time with him. But again, I expect the Cowboy to hang it up. I see Dial playing more on nickel downs, nothing outside of the 3 tech. unless we need him to. The Lawrence Okoye project could be over; but he has one more season of practice squad eligibility left, so who knows.

NT – 2
Ian Williams
Glenn Dorsey

Nothing much to see, I see no changes made here.

OLB – 4
A. Smith
A. Brooks
A. Lynch
E. Harold

Lemonier is a goner for sure. Just no other way to put it. Expect to see him get a lot of playing time in the pre-season games. I think Jimmie T. & Co. are gonna give him a chance to audition himself for other teams. Harold is gonna have to put on at least 15lbs. There's no way on earth he can get away with playing OLB in the 49ers 3-4 scheme at 247lbs. But from a rotational standpoint that is really a scary lineup for QB's. Our "NASCAR" package is just gonna be unreal.

ILB – 4
N. Bowman
D. Bishop
M. Wilhoite
P. Wheeler/S. Skov

This is one position that's caused me a lot of real heartburn and headache. Behind Bowman (who's coming of serious knee injury) I am not excited at all. Frankly, I'd feel a little better if Brooks were to move back inside, but I doubt that'll happen. I think history will prove it to be a real Baalke mistake we didn't take an ILB – like Paul Dawson (who played ILB at TCU) or Jordan Hicks in the 3rd, or even Eric Kendricks in the 2nd – when he had a clear opportunity. I know he's atop the leagues GM's but to not even address the teams most obvious needs (ILB, CB) wasn't his best of moves here. You cannot loose that much production in Willis and Borland in one offseason and come away thinking you DON'T have a major need at the ILB position, then not at least address the position somewhere in the draft to boot, yet expect success. This tells me that they are making a serious gamble that Bowman will return to form. And for me this is a serious mistake. At best you draft a guy, and if Bowman indeed returns to form you – again – have two book-ins at a vital position with two very good backups to call on in an injury pinch. At worst, if Bowman cannot return to form you at least have a really good young guy you can count on if/when teams scheme against Bowman's drop-off (because Bowman at 80% s still far better than Bishop, Wilhoite, and Wheeler/Skov). If the ILB proves to be the weak spot on the defense that costs this team look no further than one Trent Baalke.

CB – 6
T. Brock
S. Wright/D. Johnson
D. Johnson/S. Wright
J. Ward
C. Cook
K. Acker

Gonna see some real battles here. Right now I only see one true lock as a starting job. Ward will get another chance to prove he was worth a 1st round pick, but he's gonna have some competition from Johnson and Cook. I'm not at all excited about Wright. 5'11", 182lbs, and his career stats is something to be desired for a 5 year vet. I'd like to see D. Johnson win this #2 spot. I liked what I saw from him last season.

S – 4
E. Reid
A. Bethea
J. Tartt
L.J. McCray

Daul finally gets cut. No conceding here. Somewhere talent has to win over money. I'll just have to be wrong here.

P – 1
B. Pinion

Hard to believe that we drafted a camp leg, so good bye Andy Lee. This guy can also kick field goals too, so I think Phil Dawson should be on notice.

K – 1
P. Dawson

LS – 1
K. Nelson

ST – 2

N. Bellore
K. Reaser

Thoughts.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on May 13, 2015 at 7:26 AM ]
A couple issues, they just gave Carrier a 2yr extension, and a $400K bonus.

I doubt Bush, who got a 1yr $2.5M deal, is inactive over Hunter or even Davis.

Bellore, who was signed for ST purposes, makes this team, as he has $305K in LTBE incentives, which is always an indication that that player makes the roster.

Dahl I think, and fear makes the roster, as he has a high guarantee in his base salary, had they intended to let him go, theyb would have been better off cutting him before they redid his deal, and saved $1.7M, now it;s only $650K saved.

I would personally drop Celek for Carrier, drop a OL for Bellore, I think Wheeler has a better shot at making the roster at ILB due to a $1M cap hit.
One more thing, Pears will dress on game days, if he is actually on the roster, as he has a $1M LTBE for play time, so they expect him to either start or dress every game.
Our olb's though. Other qb's will be like
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Bellore, who was signed for ST purposes, makes this team, as he has $305K in LTBE incentives, which is always an indication that that player makes the roster.

Dahl I think, and fear makes the roster, as he has a high guarantee in his base salary, had they intended to let him go, theyb would have been better off cutting him before they redid his deal, and saved $1.7M, now it;s only $650K saved.

I would personally drop Celek for Carrier, drop a OL for Bellore, I think Wheeler has a better shot at making the roster at ILB due to a $1M cap hit.
Yeah, I know. But looking at the roster we have now that would mean we go with only 8 OL (I CANNOT see us only carrying 8 OL), cut people like Reaser and go with maybe 5 CB's. I admit I forgot about Bellore. And that would mean that Moody, and perhaps Skov, have slim chances of making it. I disagree about Celek for Carrier, but they both haven't really wowed me though. I see you about Dahl. But with Tartt, a much better talent, I just cannot see how he stays.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on May 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Yeah, I know. But looking at the roster we have now that would mean we go with only 8 OL (I CANNOT see us only carrying 8 OL), cut people like Reaser and go with maybe 5 CB's. I admit I forgot about Bellore. And that would mean that Moody, and perhaps Skov, have slim chances of making it. I disagree about Celek for Carrier, but they both haven't really wowed me though. I see you about Dahl. But with Tartt, a much better talent, I just cannot see how he stays.

Well we've gone with 8 healthy OL before, and 8 Total, we went 9 last year only due to Marcus Martin's injury, as he was the 9th OL on the roster. So it's possible.

When I compare Carrier vs Celek, Carrie has $400K gtd, where Celek has $25K gtd, so it shows that they see more in Carrier than Celek.

I can see Dahl cut, but he has gtd money so it may make it more difficult.

Well we've gone with 8 healthy OL before, and 8 Total, we went 9 last year only due to Marcus Martin's injury, as he was the 9th OL on the roster. So it's possible.

When I compare Carrier vs Celek, Carrie has $400K gtd, where Celek has $25K gtd, so it shows that they see more in Carrier than Celek.

Money being the only reason Dahl might occupy a roster spot for yet another season? (But then, this is a strong roster overall.) I mean, if they see more in Carrier over Celek I can't where, the money be damned. But like I said, neither has really wowed me. I'd look to replace both. But from my eye Celek is better than Carrier.
Always amazing AB how when you bring $$ into the equation how much simpler it gets as to who stays, who goes.
McDonald performed pretty well as a blocker last season, and I still think they give him a shot in the passing game this season.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
bar none carrier was our best te last year. dude caught everything, even when is was a terrible throw. i wished we saw more of him last season

• fan49
  • Veteran
Money being the only reason Dahl might occupy a roster spot for yet another season? (But then, this is a strong roster overall.) I mean, if they see more in Carrier over Celek I can't where, the money be damned. But like I said, neither has really wowed me. I'd look to replace both. But from my eye Celek is better than Carrier.

what eye?? lol carrier caught the ball when he was thrown to. and made catches mcdonald and celek couldnt dream of catching.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
i cant be the only one to see a few catches by carrier and say, wait who was that and how did he get that...

We tend to have about 2-3 Special teams picks on the roster so....

Dahl will probably stay at the expense of McCray because of money and special teams, I see Bellore over Moody and I think Skov might bring more special teams value as well.

Beyond that..definitely Carrier over Celek and not just because of money...I really don't know what anyone sees in Celek...they certainly were not seeing it on the field though.

Agreed on the OL. When all are healthy 8 has been the typical number for OL on our roster. I could see us keeping 9 if one of the rooks shows a ton of promise but isn't quite ready for prime time and we don't want to risk exposing him to waivers. Otherwise I think 8 is likely.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

We tend to have about 2-3 Special teams picks on the roster so....

Dahl will probably stay at the expense of McCray because of money and special teams, I see Bellore over Moody and I think Skov might bring more special teams value as well.

Beyond that..definitely Carrier over Celek and not just because of money...I really don't know what anyone sees in Celek...they certainly were not seeing it on the field though.
Fixed a few things. I was reminded about Bellore yesterday so I fixed that. But it really don't change my opinion about our ILB situation. And how do we make Skov fit on the 53, or even 46? You think we go with 5 CB's? 3 ILB? 7 OL? Doubtful! And conceded the Celek vs. Carrier. However, as I stated in my fix neither has wowed me. And apparently they haven't really impressed the coaching staff or FO. We just drafted two at that position, and I refuse to think that was just "BPA". Somebody somewhere wasn't thrilled at the what we have.
Share 49ersWebzone