LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Joe Montana Legacy Secured

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by WINiner:
The fact that coool Joe never relied on his kicker to win the game for any of his SB's had already decided the debate in my mind.

He just counted on a Cowboys defender to drop an Int right before the catch
and counted on a Cincy defender to drop an Int on the drive in the SB
lolz
Joe Cool was awesome but he also had some luck in there too

and the 49ers cheated the system too

You could play that game all day. If the seahags coaching staff didnt have a brainfart and forgot they had lynch this wouldn't even be a discussion
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Brady is a statue..he would get killed in the 80's..

Yeah, I wonder how guys like Phil Simms, Jim Everett, Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino would've done in the 80's.
Originally posted by teylo31:
You could play that game all day. If the seahags coaching staff didnt have a brainfart and forgot they had lynch this wouldn't even be a discussion
Or if David Tyree hadn't made one of the flukiest catches in NFL history, Brady has 5. It goes both ways.
Originally posted by WINiner:
The fact that coool Joe never relied on his kicker to win the game for any of his SB's had already decided the debate in my mind.

Yes!!! Enough said game over!!!! Anybody who watched Joe play and say he has been surpassed by Brady is wrong. Joe had a way of making it just look so simple when he was on the field. He made it look easier than anybody else I have seen. People want to point to stats but unfortunately Joe was jerked around a lot by Walsh and was on the bench on and off for parts of a few seasons. He took massive hits and suffered some injuries that took some time from the middle and end of his career. He also was on the bench in the middle of the 3rd quarter because we would be winning by so much. Brady is up 20 in the late 3rd and has to stay in the game and continue to throw otherwise they blow a lead. Joe was just the best and he and Jerry were the greatest to watch when they were in a zone because it looked easy. Like Jordan in basketball and Bonds in baseball. I could care less about flat balls. Who cares? Joe didn't just barely get by he put up wins and numbers in the SB with zero turnovers. I wish I could properly explain what it was like watching him play but I can't. Only real 49ers fans know what I'm talking about. I grew up with Joe as my childhood QB and you really knew what you had and how good he was when someone else took over and it just looked like playing QB was a lot harder for them.
Really Joe Montana would've been no better than Akili Smith or Quincy Carter without Walsh and all of the HOF players surrounding him.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Really Joe Montana would've been no better than Akili Smith or Quincy Carter without Walsh and all of the HOF players surrounding him.

man what the....
[ Edited by 91til on May 12, 2015 at 11:35 AM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by crake49:
Honestly, and I'm putting aside my Niner fan homer attitude on this, I'm not sure Tom Brady would have lasted two seasons in the 80's.
As far as I know, Brady has never missed a start in his entire career, with the exception of missing the 2008 season after tearing his ACL/MCL. You're telling me with a straight face that you think he goes from borderline ironman to "lasting two seasons in the 80's"? Spare me.

I agree. The only reason Marino never got killed is he had the fastest release in history.

Some people just can't resist being an (insert word here).
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Yeah, I wonder how guys like Phil Simms, Jim Everett, Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino would've done in the 80's.

Simms played on the same team as Lawrence Taylor - that helped. But he still only played 9 games in '87, 4 in '91 and 4 in '92.

Everett wasn't a statue at all - when he first started, people were saying he would be the "next Joe Montana."

Kelly was one of the first to do consistent no-huddle - that system was bang, bang, get the ball out fast.

Marino had the quickest release in NFL history.

I don't even know why anyone around here would try to argue that the NFL wasn't harder physically on QB's in the 80's than it is today. Come on. Were you even watching? Even the mobile QB's took tremendous beatings. Does Joe Theisman ring a bell?
ESPN Debate

Written in 2012, quick and succinct comparison of both and their ranks in their respective eras.

Montana is obviously better, but the 4-0 > 4-2 argument to use in favor of Montana is stupid. Technically, it means Brady won more conference championships and an equal amount of super bowls
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:

Some people just can't resist being an (insert word here).

Akili has more passing yards, more TDs, less interceptions, better completion pct., better QB rating, thats a fact. He also played with worse talent and coaches in the NFL, also a fact.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Really Joe Montana would've been no better than Akili Smith or Quincy Carter without Walsh and all of the HOF players surrounding him.s
some things are not worth answering. even when he was old and broken down, he could still get it done and against the niners and a bunch of hall of famers i may add
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Montana is obviously better, but the 4-0 > 4-2 argument to use in favor of Montana is stupid. Technically, it means Brady won more conference championships and an equal amount of super bowls

No. It means Montana has a perfect record in Super Bowls and Brady doesn't. You can't beat perfection. Yes, Brady won more Conference championships. That's another issue. And if you want to go there, you need to consider Montana's conference. Do you really think Brady's American conference in the 2000's was as tough as Montana's National conference in the 80's?
Originally posted by cciowa:
Really Joe Montana would've been no better than Akili Smith or Quincy Carter without Walsh and all of the HOF players surrounding him.s
some things are not worth answering. even when he was old and broken down, he could still get it done and against the niners and a bunch of hall of famers i may add
Yea but Montana went to the Chiefs and threw to HOFers Willie Davis and JJ Birden
Share 49ersWebzone