There are 227 users in the forums

Joe Montana Legacy Secured

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I saw the NFL Network Special "Top Ten Joe Montana Games".....

It was MAGICAL.

I'd love to see Top Ten Brady, Favre, Marino, Manning games for comparison sake....

Doubt it will be as good.

To me, that's the ultimate test.

Will Brady ever have a game like '89 49ers vs. Eagles or '93 Chiefs vs. Oilers playoffs? Come from behind wins against very violent defenses on the road after getting sacked A LOT.

Those two games right there (part of that top 10) are games that embody Montana magic beyond the standard fare of SB 23 and the like.

Will Brady ever have a PLAY like the 78 yard TD to Jerry Rice to beat the Giants in the Meadowlands with 42 seconds to play in '88?

Stats have a lot associated with them, but plays and games can be compartmentalized and compared more easily.

Someone once asked a few years ago "When you think of Brady's career highlights, what image do you see? That image of him putting his hands over his head after winning his first Super Bowl."

It's crazy but Brady doesn't have those defining moments like Montana to Taylor in SB23, SB 24, etc.

And I'm sure he does, but I can't recollect it easily....and I've watched a lot of football.

Just one game but you have to give the devil his due against Seattle. Down 10 points in the 4th playing against one of the best teams of all time and he wins it for them.

you talkin about the Super Bowl?

Who won it for them Patriots??.. Brady or Carroll??

Brady drove down the field and scored two touchdowns in the 4th quarter of the super bowl, against a historically great defense.
Daunte Culpepper > Tom Brady
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I saw the NFL Network Special "Top Ten Joe Montana Games".....

It was MAGICAL.

I'd love to see Top Ten Brady, Favre, Marino, Manning games for comparison sake....

Doubt it will be as good.

To me, that's the ultimate test.

Will Brady ever have a game like '89 49ers vs. Eagles or '93 Chiefs vs. Oilers playoffs? Come from behind wins against very violent defenses on the road after getting sacked A LOT.

Those two games right there (part of that top 10) are games that embody Montana magic beyond the standard fare of SB 23 and the like.

Will Brady ever have a PLAY like the 78 yard TD to Jerry Rice to beat the Giants in the Meadowlands with 42 seconds to play in '88?

Stats have a lot associated with them, but plays and games can be compartmentalized and compared more easily.

Someone once asked a few years ago "When you think of Brady's career highlights, what image do you see? That image of him putting his hands over his head after winning his first Super Bowl."

It's crazy but Brady doesn't have those defining moments like Montana to Taylor in SB23, SB 24, etc.

And I'm sure he does, but I can't recollect it easily....and I've watched a lot of football.

Just one game but you have to give the devil his due against Seattle. Down 10 points in the 4th playing against one of the best teams of all time and he wins it for them.

you talkin about the Super Bowl?

Who won it for them Patriots??.. Brady or Carroll??

Brady drove down the field and scored two touchdowns in the 4th quarter of the super bowl, against a historically great defense.
.. and IMO, just my opinion, had the Patriots lost to the Rams in OT, kicker missing the FG vs both the Eagles and the Panthers.. and Carroll giving the ball to the Beast Mode,...

.. then Brady's name would only be compared to JIM KELLY.
Tom Brady playoff records
Most wins
Most touchdowns
Most passing yards
Most completions
Most conference championships

He has as many rings as Montana. Brady is the best ever.

Brady is a terrific QB, certainly a better QB then Peyton Manning to whom he will most often be linked. If choosing between the two of them the nod will always go to Brady. Comparing QB's from different eras is a lot harder. I think Brady is the best QB of his generation and that Montana is the best QB of his generation. I would be happy to have either on my team. I think the thing that separates Joe from Tom though is that A) Montana never lost a Super Bowl while Brady has lost a couple B) Montana never threw a pick in a Super Bowl, which is something that Brady can't say and C) At the end of his career Joe went to a Chiefs team that wasn't nearly as talented as the teams he had in SF and took them to the AFC Championship game. Brady will probably play his whole career in New England where he has had the benefit of working with a pretty darn good head coach. And even though he has had some terrible receiving corps to work with through the years he has always managed to be effective. The other thing I would say about Brady is that if you can get to him in the pocket you can rattle him and affect his game. I don't recall Montana ever looking rattled when he played, which isn't to say he didn't have bad games but he never seemed to let that get to him, he was, after all, Joe Cool
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
but bottom line, you put those two guys side by side, in person, name or even by picture, it will be HARDER to pick Brady over Joe, than picking Joe over Brady..

TEST YOUR SELF.
but bottom line, you put those two guys side by side, in person, name or even by picture, it will be HARDER to pick Brady over Joe, than picking Joe over Brady..

TEST YOUR SELF.

Is it all the same team and coaches?
For anyone who watched Joe play in the 80's there is no doubt that joe is head and shoulders above Brady in toughness. The difference in the rules governing the protection of the QB is that much of a game changer. There was no protection for the QB. Joe would get smashed on a weekly basis. Joe was so good that one of the only ways to stop him was to knock him out of the game and boy, did opposing teams tee off on him. If Brady was back there, that statue of a QB would have been a shattered mess. No doubt about it.

On the other hand, put Joe in todays NFL and I can't imagine the records he would have put up. I wonder how much longer he could have played.
[ Edited by maximusdecimus on Jun 29, 2016 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Most wins
Most touchdowns
Most passing yards
Most completions

Brady is a terrific QB, certainly a better QB then Peyton Manning to whom he will most often be linked. If choosing between the two of them the nod will always go to Brady. Comparing QB's from different eras is a lot harder. I think Brady is the best QB of his generation and that Montana is the best QB of his generation. I would be happy to have either on my team. I think the thing that separates Joe from Tom though is that A) Montana never lost a Super Bowl while Brady has lost a couple B) Montana never threw a pick in a Super Bowl, which is something that Brady can't say and C) At the end of his career Joe went to a Chiefs team that wasn't nearly as talented as the teams he had in SF and took them to the AFC Championship game. Brady will probably play his whole career in New England where he has had the benefit of working with a pretty darn good head coach. And even though he has had some terrible receiving corps to work with through the years he has always managed to be effective. The other thing I would say about Brady is that if you can get to him in the pocket you can rattle him and affect his game. I don't recall Montana ever looking rattled when he played, which isn't to say he didn't have bad games but he never seemed to let that get to him, he was, after all, Joe Cool

One thing you forgot is that when Montana played QB's were not protected and could get hit!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

TEST YOUR SELF.

Is it all the same team and coaches?

how ever do you want it.. . how ever do you need it..

just vision the two and pick who you would rather have..

but in case you need it, here, you currently have JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS as your team right now.. and you need a QB...

WHO WOULD U RATHER HAVE.. JOE OR TOM..

but in case you need it, here, you currently have JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS as your team right now.. and you need a QB...

Out of those 2 I'll take Joe cause I have homerism and biast. But if I could take any QB I would take Dan Marino.

Most wins
Most touchdowns
Most passing yards
Most completions

You forgot some:

Most court appearances.
Most rules named after themselves.
Most penalties called against opponents defense because of crying to the refs.
Most games actually won by the kicker, than actual QB performance.
Most superbowls won by boneheaded decision of opponents coaching staff.
He most certainly should have one less ring than he does. Tuck rule ... LOL. Just a Rozelle screwing Al Davis job, that is all that was.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Most wins
Most touchdowns
Most passing yards
Most completions

You forgot some:

Most court appearances.
Most rules named after themselves.
Most penalties called against opponents defense because of crying to the refs.
Most games actually won by the kicker, than actual QB performance.
Most superbowls won by boneheaded decision of opponents coaching staff.
More SB's lost
More SBs won with the kicker actually winning the game
More games played where the QB can't get hit
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

Out of those 2 I'll take Joe cause I have homerism and biast. But if I could take any QB I would take Dan Marino.

U really think Dan Marino is the best of all time?

U really think Dan Marino is the best of all time?

Yes. I think championships are overvalued when ranking 1 player on a 53 man team sport. It's the most important position but playoffs is about the best team.
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Jun 30, 2016 at 5:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone