LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 202 users in the forums

Joe Montana Legacy Secured

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Maybe?

Willis never finished below 2 in rankings for ilb besides 2014.

Thats a not a maybe.

Thats why he will be missed
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
If you watched any of these guys , then you don't need to ask

Willis over Norton hell yeah, And Newberry was mean nasty blocker. Dean or Haley is hard do to Haley was traded to Dallas
Problem with newberry dean is they spent so little time with us. So cant really put them on list.
Now R. Moss is sticking up for Brady
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Montana was more clutch and the game was different back then with heavy emphasis on running the ball and defenses allowed to KO QBs and bump & run coverage. Brady is a legend No Doubt but Joe Montana with today's rules would average 50 TDs a year and probably have 7 or 8 SB victories. The NFL wants more offense for more interest with Fantasy Football brings in Billions in revenue Yearly. That wasn't available during the 70's and 80's when Montana was at his peak.

Well Said
Happy birthday Joe.
Originally posted by English:
Happy birthday Joe.

Joe Money......his '89 season and Steve's '94 are IMO the finest seasons ever by a QB. The numbers are ridiculous.
Originally posted by verb1der:
The fact that Tom Brady is even being compared to the great Joe Montana should already tell you that these two are equal. They'll both be HOF'ers, with a lot of rings.

Only people in 49er homers and Patriot homers would argue otherwise.

#harshreality

/thread

No it's not being a homer it's knowing football and being able to add everything up. I watched Montana playing with zero HOF players on the offensive side of the ball during his first two title runs. He completely obliterated Dan Marino stat wise in his second SB. You know Marino statistically one of the top 3 QBs of all time. The fact that his own peers who know more about football than you or I call him the best of all time at the QB position. I've heard Elway, Marino, Cris Carter, Rodgers, Brady and numerous other coaches and players call him the best QB of all time.

It's funny because people who try to discredit Rice point to the fact he had Montana throwing him the football. Then you have people who try to say Montana was great because he got to throw to Rice. Lol. The fact is they played together for a very short time. The rules make a huge difference and Montana had his back, hand, sternum and ribs broken which caused him to miss some time. No doubt had he gotten that time back he would have won at least 2 more SBs. An old and broken down Montana took a Chiefs team with below average offensive talent to an AFC title game and lit it up in the playoffs. He also took apart the eventual SB champions that year in the 49ers.

It was stated here before but I will state it again Montana never had a kicker win him a game because he got his team in the end zone in crunch time. That's a mic dropper alone. How about the fact Joe won with guys like Bill Ring, Lenville Elliott, Reynaldo Neiamiah and Mike Wilson. Oh yeah real star studded cast. Brady is awesome but he's not as good as Joe and Brady himself has said that so why do some of you say different if the man you're defending agrees with Joe being the greatest? We can also talk about Brady's inflated stats because of the different eras and the fact Joe would be pulled midway through the 3rd quarter because the 49ers would be blowing out the competition. Brady stays in games during blowouts and continues to pass. What would Joe's stats look like if he had done that?

Joe won SB rings on the 49ers then went to a different system as an old broken down QB and beat the 49ers and Young in his prime, Elway, Warren Moon in the playoffs in the Astrodome and the Steelers. He put up numbers with crap offensive talent and single handedly turned the Chiefs into a SB contender. Maybe there wasn't parity like there is now but the good teams were a lot tougher in Joe's era and the football was a lot better. How about the fact Joe kept a HOF QB on the bench for years. Why do you think that was? Possibly because Joe was better. For those of you who like to compare stats compare Joe's first SB win with Brady's first SB win against the Rams. Joe's worst supporting cast in a SB and he is statistically superior to Brady when comparing the two. How many times have we heard if you had the game on the line with 2:00 minutes left what QB would you choose? Give me Montana over Brady or anyone else for that matter anytime. He made it look easy with mediocre talent and just made it look flat out magical with Jerry. Had they played together like Marvin and Peyton they would hold every major pass catching record in the book. The fact that they only played together a few years and they are still on the top 10 list of QB WR duos is crazy. I don't think people realize that.

Finally lets forget about stats and rings and just trust our eyes for a minute. I've seen a lot of great players but it's the special ones that make the game look easy and that's what Joe did so well. Joe didn't just win, he wasn't just the best but he made watching football awesome. He was so entertaining I didn't miss a snap. I would love watching him play in the preseason. Hands down we are the luckiest fans in the NFL because we got to watch the two greatest players in football history in Rice and Montana. Debate if you want but IMO and anyone that knows football it's not a debate if you had to choose one QB to start a frachise or win a SB Joe is the one you got to have.
^ not about to read that wall of text but I got what you were saying early on and I'm not buying it.

Joe Montana was a great player who had ice in his veins but we can't just forget things because we're 49er fans. The fact that he was in a perfect system on offense and had a terrific defense certainly helped him achieve a lot of he did.

It's also incredibly difficult to compare different eras. The rules certainly favor QBs now but Joe didn't exactly have to face a lot of 300 lb defenders who ran a 40 under 5 seconds or 250 lbs who ran in the mid 4 range.

There's nothing wrong with saying Tom Brady is right up there with Joe Montana. Especially because Brady grew up as a 49ers fan. We all know how disappointed he was not to be drafted by us, no reason to hold it against him and pretend what he's doing isn't equally impressive as what Joe did back in his day.

You want to talk about lack of big name players in Joe's first two SB wins. How many players can you name on Brady's first 2 SB wins on offense?

I understand as 49er fans we want to say our QB was the greatest ever and given his performances on the biggest stage of the came you can still make those claims but an argument can certainly be made that Brady is right up there as 1B and if he wins another SB ring I don't have a problem putting him #1.

What Brady did last year at age 38 with a beat up OL was incredible so that eye test you're talking about at the end most certainly isn't an issue with him and the fact that essentially he was a missed xp away from tying up that game in Denver in the playoffs despite getting crushed speaks volumes.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by WINiner:
The fact that coool Joe never relied on his kicker to win the game for any of his SB's had already decided the debate in my mind.

Guess you missed the Super Bowl at the Pontiac Silverdome where the 49ers only scored 2 FG in the 2nd half and won because of an amazing goal line stand and 2 FG's.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
No doubt that Brady is the BEST in this era, but he couldn't be as good as he is now, had he played in the 80s and mid 90s.. where QBs was allowed to get HIT!!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
No doubt that Brady is the BEST in this era, but he couldn't be as good as he is now, had he played in the 80s and mid 90s.. where QBs was allowed to get HIT!!!

I agree. Its hard to compare QBs in different eras. The NFL changes so much.

Montana is the king of the 80s

Elway/Favre in the 90s

Brady in the 00s

etc
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Footballs alone were not even allowed to be touched... the league will bring in brand new footballs during playoffs and the Super Bowl and the team and its QBs had to deal with then on game time..

They weren't allowed to get rid of the wax for Xs and Os or whatevet that is to separate footballs from the QBs and the Punters and/or for Kickoffs..

Plus, if you remember the Bengals (Vontaze) hit on the Steelers WR in the playoffs this year, back in the days, that was legal.. even WRs then had to earn their status of being "pass catchers"...
I saw the NFL Network Special "Top Ten Joe Montana Games".....

It was MAGICAL.

I'd love to see Top Ten Brady, Favre, Marino, Manning games for comparison sake....

Doubt it will be as good.

To me, that's the ultimate test.

Will Brady ever have a game like '89 49ers vs. Eagles or '93 Chiefs vs. Oilers playoffs? Come from behind wins against very violent defenses on the road after getting sacked A LOT.

Those two games right there (part of that top 10) are games that embody Montana magic beyond the standard fare of SB 23 and the like.

Will Brady ever have a PLAY like the 78 yard TD to Jerry Rice to beat the Giants in the Meadowlands with 42 seconds to play in '88?

Stats have a lot associated with them, but plays and games can be compartmentalized and compared more easily.

Someone once asked a few years ago "When you think of Brady's career highlights, what image do you see? That image of him putting his hands over his head after winning his first Super Bowl."

It's crazy but Brady doesn't have those defining moments like Montana to Taylor in SB23, SB 24, etc.

And I'm sure he does, but I can't recollect it easily....and I've watched a lot of football.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jun 22, 2016 at 5:17 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
BEST BET YET,

in Brady's early years, I'm sure Billichick would have pulled the trigger if he had a chance to trade him to an upcoming once in a lifetime player like JOHN ELWAY.

.. but NOT EVEN Bill Walsh was able to pull the trigger on giving up Joe Montana for a rookie John Elway..
Share 49ersWebzone