Joe Montana Legacy Secured

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by teylo31:
Originally posted by WINiner:
The fact that coool Joe never relied on his kicker to win the game for any of his SB's had already decided the debate in my mind.

He just counted on a Cowboys defender to drop an Int right before the catch
and counted on a Cincy defender to drop an Int on the drive in the SB
lolz
Joe Cool was awesome but he also had some luck in there too

and the 49ers cheated the system too

You could play that game all day. If the seahags coaching staff didnt have a brainfart and forgot they had lynch this wouldn't even be a discussion

It's why I feel the argument is stupid. Montana is better based on his stats.

You play to win the Super Bowl, who cares how many yards or Int or Touchdowns it takes just Win baby.

No one ever talks about Terry Bradshaw, dude won 4 super bowls in 6 years. But but but his teams D was the reason. lol he still had to perform and not screw up and lose the game for em.

Montana
Brady
Bradshaw

all tied for 1st place all time

Troy Aikman 2nd all time
Dude had to go through the 49ers to win those super bowls, those NFCCG were some of the best all time

imo
There's no way that I could put Bradshaw tied for first place with Montana and Brady. Saying "he still had to perform and not screw up" isn't a good enough reason, to me.

Honestly I would put, in no particular order
Montana
Brady
Rodgers
Moon
Kelly
Marino
Young
Aikman
Thiesman(sp)
Peyton
Favre

All of these guys ahead of Bradshaw

but why? based on what?

Take Jim Kelly his stats have him ranked #84 all time no SB wins

Bradshaw is #71 and has 4-0 in SB

Joe Montana's stats rank him #110 all time

People say Joe Montana is the GOAT based on him winning 4 SB not his stats

Then say Bradshaw isn't even a top 10 QB because of his stats

lol it's so dumb
Bradshaw was very underwhelming in his SB appearances except for the 78 SB against the Cowpatties, Bradshaw showed up durning that game. His last SB against the Lambs and his first 2 SB's he wasn't the reason they won lol
[ Edited by Jesu80ncleats on May 13, 2015 at 7:16 AM ]
The fact that coool Joe never relied on his kicker to win the game for any of his SB's had already decided the debate in my mind.

lolz

You could play that game all day. If the seahags coaching staff didnt have a brainfart and forgot they had lynch this wouldn't even be a discussion

You play to win the Super Bowl, who cares how many yards or Int or Touchdowns it takes just Win baby.

No one ever talks about Terry Bradshaw, dude won 4 super bowls in 6 years. But but but his teams D was the reason. lol he still had to perform and not screw up and lose the game for em.

Montana
Brady
Bradshaw

Troy Aikman 2nd all time
Dude had to go through the 49ers to win those super bowls, those NFCCG were some of the best all time

imo
There's no way that I could put Bradshaw tied for first place with Montana and Brady. Saying "he still had to perform and not screw up" isn't a good enough reason, to me.

Montana
Brady
Rodgers
Moon
Kelly
Marino
Young
Aikman
Thiesman(sp)
Peyton
Favre

but why? based on what?

lol it's so dumb

Based on if I had to pick one QB to win a game, I'd take any of those guys over Bradshaw.

Well that's silly, Theismann isn't winning anything with that leg of his

lol.....im talking about when they were in their prime, not today
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

lolz

Montana
Brady
Bradshaw

Troy Aikman 2nd all time

imo

Montana
Brady
Rodgers
Moon
Kelly
Marino
Young
Aikman
Thiesman(sp)
Peyton
Favre

but why? based on what?

lol it's so dumb

Based on if I had to pick one QB to win a game, I'd take any of those guys over Bradshaw.

Well that's silly, Theismann isn't winning anything with that leg of his

lol.....im talking about when they were in their prime, not today

oh ok lol

I was jk by the way
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
along with being a homer,,, i think for me, it boils down to a question posed by a now unknown poster many pages ago. who would you pick to go on one winning drive in the super bowl with everything on the line for you.. based upon the fact he NEVER made a mistake in any super bowl he ever played in it has to be joe. that is perfection and to me , when he was in his prime, he was perfection
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
6 Super Bowls > 4 Super Bowls.

Brady is better.

Dont be butthurt just because the 49ers beat your Chargers in the SB.

that was a whuppin from the opening seconds
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by cciowa:
along with being a homer,,, i think for me, it boils down to a question posed by a now unknown poster many pages ago. who would you pick to go on one winning drive in the super bowl with everything on the line for you.. based upon the fact he NEVER made a mistake in any super bowl he ever played in it has to be joe. that is perfection and to me , when he was in his prime, he was perfection

just because that Cincy DB dropped the INT

Joe got lucky a few times.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

he made his own luck, sure he had weapons but he put this team or those teams on his back multiple times in big games and he won every time he was on the biggest stage. many of us also know and will never be convinced otherwise that had he stayed we would have won more super bowls.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
6 Super Bowls > 4 Super Bowls.

Brady is better.

Dont be butthurt just because the 49ers beat your Chargers in the SB.

that was a whuppin from the opening seconds

According to San Diego's logic, Jim Kelly (4 Superbowls) = Joe Montana (4 Superbowls).

Because apparently winning superbowls is simply a luxury -- getting there is what counts. Try again
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

he made his own luck, sure he had weapons but he put this team or those teams on his back multiple times in big games and he won every time he was on the biggest stage. many of us also know and will never be convinced otherwise that had he stayed we would have won more super bowls.

could easily have 6 SB if not for being hosed on some calls in NFCCG's
but why? based on what?

lol it's so dumb

Which stats have Montana at #110 all time? He's #13 all time in yardage. He's #4 all time in playoff yardage, one spot above John Elway. He's #11 all time in TD passes and #2 all time in playoff TD passes.

What "stats" have you dug up that put Joe Montana at #110 at anything. I'd really like to know.

Originally posted by crake49:
but why? based on what?

lol it's so dumb

Which stats have Montana at #110 all time? He's #13 all time in yardage. He's #4 all time in playoff yardage, one spot above John Elway. He's #11 all time in TD passes and #2 all time in playoff TD passes.

What "stats" have you dug up that put Joe Montana at #110 at anything. I'd really like to know.
another SC exaggeration ?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Bradshaw was very underwhelming in his SB appearances except for the 78 SB against the Cowpatties, Bradshaw showed up durning that game. His last SB against the Lambs and his first 2 SB's he wasn't the reason they won lol

he was so dumb he could not spell cat if you spotted him the c and the t . old school guys will get that one
So cold, that was a LB, not a DB, and it hit him right between the numbers. I know because my dad and I were sitting right on the 30 yd line. Had it have been a DB, game would have been over. LB was so surprised, he never got his hands and arms to even start closing around ball, which fell straight to ground. Joe, he didn't even blink, and he just kept moving down the field. Cool, man ,cool. As I recall,ball was intended for John Taylor.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:

he was so dumb he could not spell cat if you spotted him the c and the t . old school guys will get that one
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
So cold, that was a LB, not a DB, and it hit him right between the numbers. I know because my dad and I were sitting right on the 30 yd line. Had it have been a DB, game would have been over. LB was so surprised, he never got his hands and arms to even start closing around ball, which fell straight to ground. Joe, he didn't even blink, and he just kept moving down the field. Cool, man ,cool. As I recall,ball was intended for John Taylor.

it was NOT a LB... it was their starting CB #24 - Lewis Billups... your young memory does not serve you well.. but that's ok...

up to this point, Solomon Wilcox (another Cincy DB) then, believed that the dropped INT was the difference of the game...

the guy (Billups) who was doing all the talking all week saying how slow Jerry Rice is, and will never beat any of their DBs in a race.. It was he he dropped that Joe Montana woulda been INT... then he got burned on the very next play..

His partner on the opposite side (Eric Thomas) also said that Jerry Rice was not in Eddie Brown's class...

Lewis Billups (RIP) got into trouble later on his career, even threatening NBA's Rex Chapman and his sister that Billups used to date.
Share 49ersWebzone