LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

If he stays out of trouble will the 49ers pay to keep Aldon Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Suh, $49 mil guaranteed. Brilliant...as for the rest of the team...let them eat cake. Sometimes you have to wonder about NFL teams and the not for long is said with good reason.
One question every good player has to ask is "do you want a max contract that can be voided when the team decides you're too expenive or renegotiated if team mates need to be paid...or do you want to be realistic and have a nice consistent long term deal?"
^^^^^
If Aldon plays out of his mind it will be up to him.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
It could become tricky, cap wise, if the 49ers franchise him, it would be around $11M or so to tag him, so he is a 49er for at least a few more seasons if no extension is reached. I would bet on the tag in 2016 over an extension if we don't have much cap room to accommidate his demands, whatever they may be. Not sure they will pay a 3-4 OLB $100M. The highest 3-4 OLB contract is Clay Matthews at like $60M total.

Here's the thing though the Claymaker's high in sacks is 13.5. Aldon's high in sacks is 19.5. His first season he had 14. I know Clay hasn't had the off the field stuff but Aldon is on a different level than Clay as far as a player. Plus Clay is always hurt. He's good to miss games every year you can count on it, last year was an anomaly. He also signed his deal, what 3 years ago? Suh broke open the vault this year mainly because the Dolphins are stupid. It's not just about Aldon here it's about what his agent thinks he could get him and if he has a big year his agent is going to want a massive deal. It's also important to remember Aldon will still only be 26 when he signs his new contract. How much of Clay's money and Suh's money guaranteed? Maybe we could get him for somewhere in the middle of those two deals.

Clay got $20.05M fully guaranteed. Where as Kap got less than $13M fully guaranteed. Thing is with Baalke as GM, he won't go higher on fully guaranteed on a Pass Rusher over what he gave his hopeful Franchise QB. And if you have seen 49er deals, they don't give out a big amoun of guarantees in a deal, most are if said player is on the roster on April 1st, take for example Torrey Smith, reported $22M gtd, well only $8.75M is fully gtd, where he has his 2016-2018 base salaries gtd on April 1 of those dates, 2016-2017 is fully, $2.25M of his 2018 is gtd on April 1 2018.

It could change if Baalke isn't GM in 2016, but the chances of that aren't likely. So while I think they could give Aldon $20M+ gtd, it would be in a smaller sized bonus, likely $10M, and then base guarantees each year for a few years. They certainly won't do a Suh type deal, where he got $49M fully guaranteed, with like a $25M base salary next year. Its just not the 49er way.

I can definitely see this. Big deal, but not so much guaranteed money and something that allows the 49ers to easily part ways if necessary.
At the end of the day Aldon Smith is a baalke guy. The FO had every chance and reason to let him go , but they didn't because you just can't find pass rushing talents like him and Baalke fully understand that.

Aldon Smith is a uniquely talented player that can change the course of a franchise, his skill set on the field is a cut above the rest. Basically you take the good with bad, if you can produce on the field at an all pro level we will do everything in are power to help you with all the bad things off the field you may have.

As far as the contract is concerned the will pay him fair market value and structure it much like Kap's contract is. I strongly believe they can afford both those types of contract because of they way they draft, work the FA market and rework other players contract in order to make cap space, basically they plan for the future in the event that they can't resign a FA to be that they want to keep.
IMO it depends on:

A). If he stays out of trouble and

B). How he plays. His numbers shrank when Justin wasn't in the lineup.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
IMO it depends on:

A). If he stays out of trouble and

B). How he plays. His numbers shrank when Justin wasn't in the lineup.

Agreed. If he plays fantastic and continues to be quiet off the field he will get a damn good deal. It may have some protection for the 49ers, but my guess is it would be viewed as a great deal as long as he performs.
Yes, but every other team will want to pay him also
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
One question every good player has to ask is "do you want a max contract that can be voided when the team decides you're too expenive or renegotiated if team mates need to be paid...or do you want to be realistic and have a nice consistent long term deal?"

Not only that, but do you want to give your team the ability to be competitive and sign other good players? When you take that much money, if the team isn't winning, you are an easy target to be cut/released. Granted, teams try to get everything they can out of players, but I do think a happy medium can be found between taking peanuts (by NFL standards) and the biggest possible contract that you can get.
He's a game changer. We need to keep him most of all out of all of our players.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 10, 2015 at 5:33 PM ]

This is a big, prove it year for Smith. Even if he keeps his nose clean, if he is performs like he did when he came back last year then it may be a tough decision.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
This is a big, prove it year for Smith. Even if he keeps his nose clean, if he is performs like he did when he came back last year then it may be a tough decision.

Agree. Id have no problem paying him if he can get back to the level he was at in 2012. 2014 Aldon will not do.
  • REB4
If a team is close to contending for a Super Bowl, they'll end up paying him double of whatever we offer as the missing piece. And there's at least a possibility this team is getting blown up if there's a change at at GM/HC if the 9ers fail to be an elite team again, so I doubt the 9ers pay him what he's worth even if he personally performs great & stays out of trouble.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Agree. Id have no problem paying him if he can get back to the level he was at in 2012. 2014 Aldon will not do.

That's another big thing, he needs to get back to 2012 form, when he was unstoppable. What he have like 19.5 sacks, if he gets back to that form, then I can see a $70M deal for Aldon.

I was wrong on Suh's numbers, I don't keep track anymore, he got $59M gtd fully, so I don't see Aldon getting that much fully guaranteed at signing, he could get in the 25-30M gtd with most being April 1 date guarantees, like with Kaepernick. He has $60M or so guaranteed in his deal if he is on the team all 7 years, he only got just under $13M fully gtd last year. I don't see Baalke, or the 49ers breaking from their stance on overpaying, or structuring differently. It's the one thing I admire about the front office, they don't overpay or go with 3 or more different structures.
I sure hope so. Elite pass russers are rare. If not it may be 25 years before they find the next one.That is the time between the drafting of Charles Haley and the drafting of Aldon. I don't know about you, but I can't name anyone in between them that fits that category (rental players don't count). B.Y. is the closest I that I can think of, but even him I'm not quite sure about.
Share 49ersWebzone