LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Baalke's Ties To South Carolina

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by REB4:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
I'm not getting it... Your fuming because he has connections? Or is it because he missed on a pick? You do realize 32 teams passed up on Alshon right? Every single team had a chance to pick him up and it didn't happen until 13 picks into the second round. s**t happens. Baalkes not the first or the last to miss on a first round pick. Not to mention it was an extremely late first. You must be a pretty dramatic person to be "fuming" over this.

Microsoft meeting protocol: "Do not voice your complaint until you've firmly found a potential solution."

These SuicidePosters are GREAT at b***hing about everything but have zero counter-solution.
Ok Let's talk about solutions smart guy:
1) Cut the Secret Squirrel act & stop taking secret inside information from former NFL failures like Spurrier.
2) Baalke goes to Tony Soprano's shrink & figures out how to get over his weird fetish for "long arms, big hands and surgically repaired knees." It's affecting the team & is NOT a scientific way to choose draft picks.
3) Take Baalke to the team doctor and have him remove some of his massive vanity, over inflated ego & transplant it to his unusually small nut sack so he WILL NEVER EVER AGAIN destroy a team on the verge of a Super Bowl just because he feels "threatened".

There's no need for a "counter-solution" because the solution you fanboys have presented isn't a solution at all.

Easy there Morrocco Mole.

As for big hands and long arms there is a reason these things are measured at "THE NFL COMBINE". Longer arms can help a receiver outfight you for the ball or an O-Lineman to keep a defender from getting in to his body ect ect. Big hands make it easier to catch the ball, easier to handle the ball or even to make tackles. Remember Seattle's small hands QB Dave Krieg who had a huge fumbling problem? Every GM takes these attributes and others in to account when evaluating talent. Baalke is not the only 1 nor is he locked in to it. Borland had short arms and was considered too slow to do well in coverage but Baalke used an early 3rd rd pick on him because he was a baller. P.S. Odell Beckham Jr has huge hands. Think that might help when he makes those great catches?

As for his love for surgically repaired knees come on. When you routinely draft at the back end you have to figure out ways to get more value from the picks you have or you fall behind the up and coming teams drafting way ahead of you. One way is to be patient and trade picks away for future picks a round earlier and Baalke does this often. By waiting a year to select you move up a round and get more value.

Another way is to take a chance on a player who has dropped several rounds due to an injury concern. You can sometimes end up with a player who would have been a 2nd rounder with a 4th round pick ect ect. If you can get one 2nd round talent by spending four 4th rounders then it was worth it. Look at the draft value chart if you don't believe me. Anything more than that is bonus time. Teams are so hell bent on winning right now that they pass on trading for future picks or chancing a pick on an injured player but these are smart strategy's to incorporate for long term success.

As for your point 3. I won't venture a guess as to how you know the size of Baalke's nutsack. I will say you would be better off trying to make logical arguments rather than just venting anger.

I'm not getting it... Your fuming because he has connections? Or is it because he missed on a pick? You do realize 32 teams passed up on Alshon right? Every single team had a chance to pick him up and it didn't happen until 13 picks into the second round. s**t happens. Baalkes not the first or the last to miss on a first round pick. Not to mention it was an extremely late first. You must be a pretty dramatic person to be "fuming" over this.

Microsoft meeting protocol: "Do not voice your complaint until you've firmly found a potential solution."

These SuicidePosters are GREAT at b***hing about everything but have zero counter-solution.
1) Cut the Secret Squirrel act & stop taking secret inside information from former NFL failures like Spurrier.
2) Baalke goes to Tony Soprano's shrink & figures out how to get over his weird fetish for "long arms, big hands and surgically repaired knees." It's affecting the team & is NOT a scientific way to choose draft picks.
3) Take Baalke to the team doctor and have him remove some of his massive vanity, over inflated ego & transplant it to his unusually small nut sack so he WILL NEVER EVER AGAIN destroy a team on the verge of a Super Bowl just because he feels "threatened".

There's no need for a "counter-solution" because the solution you fanboys have presented isn't a solution at all.

As for big hands and long arms there is a reason these things are measured at "THE NFL COMBINE". Longer arms can help a receiver outfight you for the ball or an O-Lineman to keep a defender from getting in to his body ect ect. Big hands make it easier to catch the ball, easier to handle the ball or even to make tackles. Remember Seattle's small hands QB Dave Krieg who had a huge fumbling problem? Every GM takes these attributes and others in to account when evaluating talent. Baalke is not the only 1 nor is he locked in to it. Borland had short arms and was considered too slow to do well in coverage but Baalke used an early 3rd rd pick on him because he was a baller. P.S. Odell Beckham Jr has huge hands. Think that might help when he makes those great catches?

As for his love for surgically repaired knees come on. When you routinely draft at the back end you have to figure out ways to get more value from the picks you have or you fall behind the up and coming teams drafting way ahead of you. One way is to be patient and trade picks away for future picks a round earlier and Baalke does this often. By waiting a year to select you move up a round and get more value.

Another way is to take a chance on a player who has dropped several rounds due to an injury concern. You can sometimes end up with a player who would have been a 2nd rounder with a 4th round pick ect ect. If you can get one 2nd round talent by spending four 4th rounders then it was worth it. Look at the draft value chart if you don't believe me. Anything more than that is bonus time. Teams are so hell bent on winning right now that they pass on trading for future picks or chancing a pick on an injured player but these are smart strategy's to incorporate for long term success.

As for your point 3. I won't venture a guess as to how you know the size of Baalke's nutsack. I will say you would be better off trying to make logical arguments rather than just venting anger.

Wonderful post. By virtue of being a winning team (besides the 8-8 season) the last few years the Niners have not been in a position to draft upper echelon talent. I'm of the opinion that outside the top 5 picks or so, you're really looking at a crap shoot. Baalke does as good a job as any GM, and perhaps a much better job, of acquiring talent and getting value for his picks. And who cares if he has ties to South Carolina? Doesn't Belichick have some pretty strong ties to Florida?

As for the "verge of a Super Bowl" comment. That's honestly a load of crap. Winning a Super Bowl takes not only a talented team but quite a bit of luck as well. I think Seattle could easily argue they have had the most talented roster the last 2-3 seasons. They have 1 Super Bowl to show for that. In addition, I don't think New England was nearly as talented a team as Seattle last year and they still won the Super Bowl. Go ahead and blame Carrol for the most horrendous call I can remember. But let's not forget Seattle was damn lucky to even be in the Super Bowl after they completely melted down for most of the Green Bay game. No team is guaranteed a Super Bowl on talent alone. And after watching the Niners offense last season, I can see why a GM would have been fed up with the on field results given the talent level (Defense was a top 5 unit despite a rash of injuries while the offense continued to mire in mediocrity despite the best on paper squad the Niners had under Harbaugh's entire tenure).

Baalke's job is to assemble talent. He's largely done that outside a few missteps which every GM has. It's really on the coaching staff to get the most out of their players. Let's hope that Tomsula is able to do just that, because Harbaugh/Roman seemed to have difficulty working in their young talent.
[ Edited by JoeBart324 on May 9, 2015 at 11:17 AM ]
Well as a Carolina alum and season ticket holder and a 30 year fan of the niners I love the player pipeline!

Nothing like watching them play in college and then getting to root for them as pro's. Cooper would be an awesome pickup next year but I think everybody will want to draft him.

FYI to one poster, SC is a SEC school not big ten.
Originally posted by JoeBart324:

Wonderful post. By virtue of being a winning team (besides the 8-8 season) the last few years the Niners have not been in a position to draft upper echelon talent. I'm of the opinion that outside the top 5 picks or so, you're really looking at a crap shoot. Baalke does as good a job as any GM, and perhaps a much better job, of acquiring talent and getting value for his picks. And who cares if he has ties to South Carolina? Doesn't Belichick have some pretty strong ties to Florida?

As for the "verge of a Super Bowl" comment. That's honestly a load of crap. Winning a Super Bowl takes not only a talented team but quite a bit of luck as well. I think Seattle could easily argue they have had the most talented roster the last 2-3 seasons. They have 1 Super Bowl to show for that. In addition, I don't think New England was nearly as talented a team as Seattle last year and they still won the Super Bowl. Go ahead and blame Carrol for the most horrendous call I can remember. But let's not forget Seattle was damn lucky to even be in the Super Bowl after they completely melted down for most of the Green Bay game. No team is guaranteed a Super Bowl on talent alone. And after watching the Niners offense last season, I can see why a GM would have been fed up with the on field results given the talent level (Defense was a top 5 unit despite a rash of injuries while the offense continued to mire in mediocrity despite the best on paper squad the Niners had under Harbaugh's entire tenure).

Baalke's job is to assemble talent. He's largely done that outside a few missteps which every GM has. It's really on the coaching staff to get the most out of their players. Let's hope that Tomsula is able to do just that, because Harbaugh/Roman seemed to have difficulty working in their young talent.

I am always surprised by the way most people dismiss the luck factor in winning Superbowls. Bill Walsh believed you can't build a champioship team, you can build a team that can compete for a championship. He likened it to climbing a mountain and if you build a good enough team you start at the summit every year but a lot of things have to go right to make it to the top and win it all. Injuries, bad calls, unlucky bounces ect ect all play a hand in it. We won our 1st Superbowl (#16) with an injury free roster. We had all the same starters in the Superbowl as we had on opening day plus we added Fred Dean via trade so we had an extra starter. That team had no depth at all. If we suffered any injuries we were sunk so that was pretty darnn lucky. The next won we won was in Walsh's 6th year because it took time to build depth. If we don't win that 1st one Walsh may not have been around for his 6th season and we might not have won any.

Tom Brady has 4. One was a gift from Seattle and one came on the heels of the Tuck rule or he doesn't even go the the bowl that year and the Tuck rule was so bogus they removed it. Talk about luck.

Pitsburgh got one gifted them after the immaculate reception. The redskins had a trip to the superbowl handed them vs us by the officials.

I am of the opinion that Harbaugh did a great job coaching the 49ers. Not perfect but great. If Kyle Williams doesn't misplay a couple of punts we go to the Superbowl his 1st year and I believe we win that one. We get to the bowl his 2nd year and Both Aldon and Justin Smith are playing badly hurt and can't get any rush. Flacco has a field day and we lose a close game. If the Smith's are healthy we win that game and have 2 rings. We lost the championship game in his 3rd year because Kap blew it and threw the pick in seattle. As for last year the offense struggled more than defense but offense needs more timing and cohesion. Both our Centers went down, Boone's hold out, Davis hurt most of the season at RT, Vernon Davis getting hurt early and then never playing good again the rest of the season and he was the only deep threat we had, all our other TE's got hurt - we were down to our 6th string guy 3 of which didn't make the opening day roster. All that and add Kap still has trouble reading defenses and finding the open guy. With just a little bit of luck Harbaugh has a ring or two and is 2nd only to Walsh in the eyes of the fans but we have been snakebit the last 4 years. Look at this offseason. We lose RayMac going into it and then Willis retires a few years earlier than expected and Borland retires after 1? We went from overstocked to having a hole in our D. Bad luck.

As for his offense I understand it. It wasn't perfect but I get it. Year one was conservative. We had a shellshocked QB in smith who had never had a good season and he wanted to take the pressure off him and put it on the defense. Smart. It would have won a Superbowl if Kyle williams didn't screw it up. The offense did well his 2nd year but the Smith's veing injured killed us in the bowl. The 3rd year saw a slide a bit because Kap wasn't as effective. We still didn't have many weapons( and Crabtree missed most of the year) and Kap hadn't become adept yet and teams were catching on. Still we were knocking on the door to the Superbowl when Kap threw the pick to end the season. In the 4th season we finally had weapons and Kap should be ready to use them so Harbaugh opened up the offense and it was a disaster. All the injuries and holdouts didn't help. Kap held the ball too long and took to many sacks and still had trouble finding the open man plus teams were ready for his read option runs. The fans who were clammoring for years to open up the offense now wanted it shut down and returned to our conservative run the ball and play D style we had before.

Harbaugh did a great job and with a little luck he has a ring or two and is the hero who turned it all around for us. That being said we were snakebit and didn't get the ring(s). He clashed with the front office and that sealed his fate. Maybe another HC can get Kap to grow more as a QB and be able to consistantly run an offense. Runs and broken plays are great IF they are in addition to you running the offense well and not the BULK of your offense. It could go the other way so we shall see. On paper there is as much talent on this team if not more than we have had the last 4 years so we will see what the new coaches can do with it.
^^MC9BEAT--agree with most of your post, maybe all of it. Luck does play a role but some people are luck magnates while others are not. Montana was a magnate as he was so calm and kept his team mates focused and calm. That may include luck but it is also attitude and intelligent football bringing about more luck...or capitalizing on luck.

Harbaugh's offense was build to play alongside a dominant defense and very good special teams. Without those they couldn't score easily enough to win many playoff games. When they ran up against the Baltimore D things were neutralized...but they still came close! Of course, it wasn't the offenses fault that the Smiths were injured.

Edit: As far as having a conduit to knowledgable college coaches...can't believe anyone would think this is a bad thing! Spurrier is a very good college coach and has played in the NFL. The idea that someone has the temerity to think they know more...oh, wait...this is the zone...never mind! LOL!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 9, 2015 at 2:19 PM ]
  • Sosa
I am always surprised by the way most people dismiss the luck factor in winning Superbowls. Bill Walsh believed you can't build a champioship team, you can build a team that can compete for a championship. He likened it to climbing a mountain and if you build a good enough team you start at the summit every year but a lot of things have to go right to make it to the top and win it all. Injuries, bad calls, unlucky bounces ect ect all play a hand in it. We won our 1st Superbowl (#16) with an injury free roster. We had all the same starters in the Superbowl as we had on opening day plus we added Fred Dean via trade so we had an extra starter. That team had no depth at all. If we suffered any injuries we were sunk so that was pretty darnn lucky. The next won we won was in Walsh's 6th year because it took time to build depth. If we don't win that 1st one Walsh may not have been around for his 6th season and we might not have won any.

Tom Brady has 4. One was a gift from Seattle and one came on the heels of the Tuck rule or he doesn't even go the the bowl that year and the Tuck rule was so bogus they removed it. Talk about luck.

Pitsburgh got one gifted them after the immaculate reception. The redskins had a trip to the superbowl handed them vs us by the officials.

I am of the opinion that Harbaugh did a great job coaching the 49ers. Not perfect but great. If Kyle Williams doesn't misplay a couple of punts we go to the Superbowl his 1st year and I believe we win that one. We get to the bowl his 2nd year and Both Aldon and Justin Smith are playing badly hurt and can't get any rush. Flacco has a field day and we lose a close game. If the Smith's are healthy we win that game and have 2 rings. We lost the championship game in his 3rd year because Kap blew it and threw the pick in seattle. As for last year the offense struggled more than defense but offense needs more timing and cohesion. Both our Centers went down, Boone's hold out, Davis hurt most of the season at RT, Vernon Davis getting hurt early and then never playing good again the rest of the season and he was the only deep threat we had, all our other TE's got hurt - we were down to our 6th string guy 3 of which didn't make the opening day roster. All that and add Kap still has trouble reading defenses and finding the open guy. With just a little bit of luck Harbaugh has a ring or two and is 2nd only to Walsh in the eyes of the fans but we have been snakebit the last 4 years. Look at this offseason. We lose RayMac going into it and then Willis retires a few years earlier than expected and Borland retires after 1? We went from overstocked to having a hole in our D. Bad luck.

As for his offense I understand it. It wasn't perfect but I get it. Year one was conservative. We had a shellshocked QB in smith who had never had a good season and he wanted to take the pressure off him and put it on the defense. Smart. It would have won a Superbowl if Kyle williams didn't screw it up. The offense did well his 2nd year but the Smith's veing injured killed us in the bowl. The 3rd year saw a slide a bit because Kap wasn't as effective. We still didn't have many weapons( and Crabtree missed most of the year) and Kap hadn't become adept yet and teams were catching on. Still we were knocking on the door to the Superbowl when Kap threw the pick to end the season. In the 4th season we finally had weapons and Kap should be ready to use them so Harbaugh opened up the offense and it was a disaster. All the injuries and holdouts didn't help. Kap held the ball too long and took to many sacks and still had trouble finding the open man plus teams were ready for his read option runs. The fans who were clammoring for years to open up the offense now wanted it shut down and returned to our conservative run the ball and play D style we had before.

Harbaugh did a great job and with a little luck he has a ring or two and is the hero who turned it all around for us. That being said we were snakebit and didn't get the ring(s). He clashed with the front office and that sealed his fate. Maybe another HC can get Kap to grow more as a QB and be able to consistantly run an offense. Runs and broken plays are great IF they are in addition to you running the offense well and not the BULK of your offense. It could go the other way so we shall see. On paper there is as much talent on this team if not more than we have had the last 4 years so we will see what the new coaches can do with it.

That's where JH went wrong. He puts Kap in and our offense takes a step forward, unfortunately our defense took about 5 steps backwards during the NE game that season, and never recouped.

We go into the offseason and, from my evaluation, Harbaugh tweaked things. Forget short passing, if the deep play isn't there, use your legs. Where Harbaugh didn't tweak things is where the whole league had caught up. The running game. All those shifts and running plays from the 70s/80s weren't fooling anybody anymore. It seemed like him and Roman were geniuses, but they were just running plays that hadnt been seen in many years.

Just as those plays had been studied and stopped before, it happened again. What JH was running wasn't a shock to the league anymore and our run game got stuffed.

The o line fell apart and it's no wonder why. They didnt lose their abilities to run block out of nowhere, teams just knew what was up. An easy one was if Millers lined up in the back field, whatever hole he blocks in is where the plays going. So easy.

And this coming from a PRO JH fan. My dream scenario was get rid of Baalke, keep JH, find a new OC and get a new offensive scheme. Sadly, it was either JHs offense or no offense and now we're stuck with Baalke.
Originally posted by Sosa:

That's where JH went wrong. He puts Kap in and our offense takes a step forward, unfortunately our defense took about 5 steps backwards during the NE game that season, and never recouped.

We go into the offseason and, from my evaluation, Harbaugh tweaked things. Forget short passing, if the deep play isn't there, use your legs. Where Harbaugh didn't tweak things is where the whole league had caught up. The running game. All those shifts and running plays from the 70s/80s weren't fooling anybody anymore. It seemed like him and Roman were geniuses, but they were just running plays that hadnt been seen in many years.

Just as those plays had been studied and stopped before, it happened again. What JH was running wasn't a shock to the league anymore and our run game got stuffed.

The o line fell apart and it's no wonder why. They didnt lose their abilities to run block out of nowhere, teams just knew what was up. An easy one was if Millers lined up in the back field, whatever hole he blocks in is where the plays going. So easy.

And this coming from a PRO JH fan. My dream scenario was get rid of Baalke, keep JH, find a new OC and get a new offensive scheme. Sadly, it was either JHs offense or no offense and now we're stuck with Baalke.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
^^MC9BEAT--agree with most of your post, maybe all of it. Luck does play a role but some people are luck magnates while others are not. Montana was a magnate as he was so calm and kept his team mates focused and calm. That may include luck but it is also attitude and intelligent football bringing about more luck...or capitalizing on luck.

Harbaugh's offense was build to play alongside a dominant defense and very good special teams. Without those they couldn't score easily enough to win many playoff games. When they ran up against the Baltimore D things were neutralized...but they still came close! Of course, it wasn't the offenses fault that the Smiths were injured.

Edit: As far as having a conduit to knowledgable college coaches...can't believe anyone would think this is a bad thing! Spurrier is a very good college coach and has played in the NFL. The idea that someone has the temerity to think they know more...oh, wait...this is the zone...never mind! LOL!

Montana was awesome. The GOAT. Still, a few injuries and we don't win Superbowl 16 and Eddie D might not be patient enough to let Walsh stay around for 6 years to begin the dynasty.
Originally posted by Sosa:

Teams always catch up to what everyone is doing. It really boils down to execution. Our offense just didn't execute that well and there is no way to know how much of it was play calling and how much of it was limitations from the QB position. How many plays would have worked if Kap had gone to a different receiver or had checked out of the play called and into a better one? What could we have accomplished last year with a real vertical threat at WR, Vernon Davis playing all year at a high level and Kap being able to read defenses and find the open man quickly?

Harbaugh was far from perfect but what coach is? There isn't a single NFL coach that I see as being dominant right now. The most highly regaurded coaches are the ones that just happen to gave HOF caliber QB's running their offenses. There is plenty of criticism to go around even with the winningest coaches in the NFL. Look at that bonehead up in Seattle that gave away a Superbowl win. Not only did the moron not hand the ball to beast mode when he had 3 cracks at it from the one but if you are going to call a pass don't you at least have to go play action and fake it to beast mode? Instead Lynch immediately ran out in to the flat signaling to the entire defense it was a pass, the ball was picked and everyone rejoiced - except the seachickens of course.

I recorded the post game show on my cable box and it starts with the seachickens at the 5 yard line so anytime I want I am 1 play away from watching the meltdown and Sherman and Carrol's agaony. I tune it in about once a week just for a quick pick me up.Harbaugh was far from perfect but he did about as good a job as anyone has a right to hope for and with a little luck we would have gotten a ring or two with him. The football gods were not on our side.

1.what are you talking about lol? Spurrier has produced some very good NFL players in his day.
2.Yeah long arms and big hands are bad in the game of football you do realize that he drafts those ACL prospects because it's great value and he already has good players in place. They don't lose a year off their cheap rookie contract either. The player gets to rehab correctly and learn the mental aspects of the game for a year. We might as well include Brandon Thomas and Millard into the 2015 draft class as well. Bad teams have to draft day one starters...good teams draft BPA and can allow them to develop because they already have talent.
3.Every GM has a inflated ego they have to because they're running a team, man. You don't think Belichick,Newsome, or Walsh were/are a little vain? Last I checked Baalke wasn't calling those horrible plays last year and I don't think he was responsible for 10 starters on the IR either. I do know we still went 8-8 with a lot of those "backups" and rookie players which he DID bring in.

Sometimes I hate calling myself a 49er fan because people clump me in with fans like you who complain and b**ch about EVERTHING.

Your last sentence makes zero sense....people that are on board with Baalke don't feel there's needs to be a different solution, let him do his job and CONTINUE to bring in talent thru the draft and FA.

What is your counter-solution? fire baalke and hire who?? Do you hate all the players on the roster that Baalke brought in?Bowman,Davis,Iupati,Kap,Smith,Culliver,Borland,Lynch,Boone,Brock,Boldin,Smith,Hyde,Reid, Bethea etc are all bad players? Are you upset at him for not drafting your "draft crush" I just don't get what your complaining about? We haven't even seen players from the past two drafts take on bigger roles yet because of old vets and bloated contracts.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 9, 2015 at 4:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Well as a Carolina alum and season ticket holder and a 30 year fan of the niners I love the player pipeline!

Nothing like watching them play in college and then getting to root for them as pro's. Cooper would be an awesome pickup next year but I think everybody will want to draft him.

this, we got like 4 SC players on the team this year

Montana was awesome. The GOAT. Still, a few injuries and we don't win Superbowl 16 and Eddie D might not be patient enough to let Walsh stay around for 6 years to begin the dynasty.

True with any team...but great team can deal with a few injuries and still win. Last year it was amazing that the 9ers won 8 games and played as well as they did, but I believe that can be chaulked up to character...one of the things Harbaugh instilled, but was also important to Nolan and Singletary. So I do give Harbaugh credit for elevating the team to an elite status.

But the offense just never jelled during JH's tenure. Came close but just couldn't put it all together. And I don't blame one guy or area...Baalke failed to find a good speed WR, Roman and Harbaugh stubbornly insisted on their stodgy power run game (though with the OL they had it might have been impossible to do anything else), CK regressed or just didn't catch on to the pocket game, the OL didn't establish a consistent pocket...lots of blame to go around.

Getting back to SC...Spurrier has been turning out good teams in the college ranks for years. I'm really happy we have that relationship.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

True with any team...but great team can deal with a few injuries and still win. Last year it was amazing that the 9ers won 8 games and played as well as they did, but I believe that can be chaulked up to character...one of the things Harbaugh instilled, but was also important to Nolan and Singletary. So I do give Harbaugh credit for elevating the team to an elite status.

But the offense just never jelled during JH's tenure. Came close but just couldn't put it all together. And I don't blame one guy or area...Baalke failed to find a good speed WR, Roman and Harbaugh stubbornly insisted on their stodgy power run game (though with the OL they had it might have been impossible to do anything else), CK regressed or just didn't catch on to the pocket game, the OL didn't establish a consistent pocket...lots of blame to go around.

Getting back to SC...Spurrier has been turning out good teams in the college ranks for years. I'm really happy we have that relationship.

The year we won Superbowl 16 we had really good or great starters but there was no free agency and it was Walsh's 3rd year. We had no depth at all. I mean none. There would be huge drop offs from the starter to a back up. Huge. We drafted 3/4ths of our starting secondary that season, 3 rookies and a waiver wire free safety Hicks. Their back ups really sucked. We won the Superbowl and then didn't even challenge the next 2 seasons because we had no depth.

As for a connection to SC. I would exploit any connection I had to any program in college. To get extra information that the HC or staff is giving you take advantage of it. The more you know the better off you are. You may get the inside scoop on a sleeper who has great potential but didn't put up big numbers due to some other factor.
Whos this Buster Anderson dude TE? Is his arm broken or why does he wear a Brace? Is he any good Hopefully?
The year we won Superbowl 16 we had really good or great starters but there was no free agency and it was Walsh's 3rd year. We had no depth at all. I mean none. There would be huge drop offs from the starter to a back up. Huge. We drafted 3/4ths of our starting secondary that season, 3 rookies and a waiver wire free safety Hicks. Their back ups really sucked. We won the Superbowl and then didn't even challenge the next 2 seasons because we had no depth.

As for a connection to SC. I would exploit any connection I had to any program in college. To get extra information that the HC or staff is giving you take advantage of it. The more you know the better off you are. You may get the inside scoop on a sleeper who has great potential but didn't put up big numbers due to some other factor.

1981 was an amazing year! There had been so many near misses during the 70's that 81 just seemed like it would be another. But talk about catching lightening in a bottle!

But I can't think of too many teams that could overcome significant injuries and still win a super bowl. With the salary cap I would argue that only Baalke's method of drafting for the future has allowed the team to have a decent core of backups. But even now the team couldn't overcome injuries to the Smiths in the super bowl...almost.

Walsh and Montana will forever have my gratitude for leading the 9ers to the promise land. Others certanly were important but those two were head and shoulders ahead of the rest of the league.
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Shorteous, with your ties to the Gamecocks and following them like you do, what's your take on Busta Anderson and Mike Davis? Anderson seems pretty athletic for a guy that big...and, looks like he can definitely catch the ball. Does he block well for a TE?
Share 49ersWebzone