LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

How many games will we win next season 2015-16?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
6 games. I think 2015 and 2016 are the rebuilding years. 2017 should be the year we come out strong.

wonder who our coach will be in 2017, Mangina?

LOL. Hope not. Hopefully, by then Jed York would have seen light and would finally try to do things by the book and not make stupid hiring just because he and his mummy like someone.

In other words, hopefully Mangina would be out and the front office would conduct a thorough search again. But, the problem is the 9ers have already lost soooooooooooo much credit after this offseason. In one fine swoop, from firing of Harbaugh to the hiring of Tomsula, Jed York has single-handedly turned the 9ers from what used to be perceived as one of the best organizations in the league to a complete joke. It might be really tough to bring in proper legit head coaches from this point on even if we finally wanted to. But, we won't have a choice, we will need to get back on track to doing things professionally again. After Tomsula, it will really have to be a big-named head coach, be it from the NFL or the college ranks.
The level of conspiracy theory grade insanity is getting way too high in here.
If they don't win at least 8, I have a feeling Kap will be restructiong his deal. Even though it's already tremendously team favorable. I'm hoping for 10. Time to see if Kap's struggles were on Roman/Harbaugh or on himself. Hopefully every minute he spent with Kurt Warner will help the niners to another playoff run!

On the bright side, for the way Baalke drafts we should be awesome in 3-4 years. Wait, I remember hearing that 3-4 years ago.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Berto1555:
If they don't win at least 8, I have a feeling Kap will be restructiong his deal. Even though it's already tremendously team favorable. I'm hoping for 10. Time to see if Kap's struggles were on Roman/Harbaugh or on himself. Hopefully every minute he spent with Kurt Warner will help the niners to another playoff run!

On the bright side, for the way Baalke drafts we should be awesome in 3-4 years. Wait, I remember hearing that 3-4 years ago.

Kap restructuring is not going to help his poor QB play. We will really need to draft another QB going forward. That is why I said it was stupid of Baalke not to draft any decent QBs last year and even this year.

As for Kurt, he won't be able to help Kap, in fact he will only make things worse cos what Kurt has been doing is no different to Harbaugh, both of them wanted to turn Kap into a pocket passer. I have said it before and I will say it again, Kap is no pocket passer, he will have to run if you want to get the best out of him. The problem is his best may still be very far from what the 9ers need in order to win the Super Bowl again.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Definitely worse than 8-8, 7-9 at best, but could be as bad as 4-12. Either way, we will be lucky to beat the Rams to stay off the bottom.

I'm getting the whole Dennis Erickson vibe all over again. 2003 49ers blew out Chicago in the first game then lost three in a row (5 of the next 8), finished 7-9.

Then the 2004 meltdown when the only 2 wins came in OT against Arizona both times 31-28

God i cringe thinking about that. We might as well have been 0-16.
Im going with what York said.
The season hedges on so many things, it's hard to say. It could be as little as 6 or 7, or perhaps 10 or 11. I feel like we SHOULD win at least 9, but if we can pull off some close ones we need, I'd say 10, which is probably what we need for a playoff berth.

So many factors that will impact the amount of games we win, including:
-Overall health of the team
-Level of improvement from Kaepernick
-Vernon returning to form
-Legitimate starters emerging at CB, not just "the least bad player" taking the positions.
-Bowman returning healthy -- us not selecting an ILB or signing a single one as an UDFA makes it appear this is the case.
-Patton and/or Ellington have developed into starter quality players to play the slot
-OC gets the play in quicker
-Tomsula manages the clock and challenges/timeouts better (sorry, but Harbaugh was not always so good with this)
-Team makes half-time adjustments better

I'm sure there's more, but those are some I can think of off the top of my head.
Rascal, did you miss in there somewhere that JH absolutely lost his team in 2014, that he knew no O and kept on a lame OC who knew no O, or maybe just did what JH told him, which offensively failed the last 18 mos? You really think that JT isn't going to be a better coach from the conservative no-O coach who guided a talent laden team with D only and tried to win that way? You really think the guys hadn't quit on JH, many realizing the guy was a fraud? Sure, a lot of wins, but hang that on the talent we acquired drafting in top 6-7 spots for 8-9 yrs. If you acknowledge those facts, this team HAS to be better than last yr. How good? No idea yet, but i bet 2 games better, at 10 Ws. Having a team quit on a coach is turning point in athletics, you don't see it often, but we saw it against Oakland last yr, and a couple others. The guys didn't want to play for harbaw...and frankly, i understand why.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Rascal, did you miss in there somewhere that JH absolutely lost his team in 2014, that he knew no O and kept on a lame OC who knew no O, or maybe just did what JH told him, which offensively failed the last 18 mos? You really think that JT isn't going to be a better coach from the conservative no-O coach who guided a talent laden team with D only and tried to win that way? You really think the guys hadn't quit on JH, many realizing the guy was a fraud? Sure, a lot of wins, but hang that on the talent we acquired drafting in top 6-7 spots for 8-9 yrs. If you acknowledge those facts, this team HAS to be better than last yr. How good? No idea yet, but i bet 2 games better, at 10 Ws. Having a team quit on a coach is turning point in athletics, you don't see it often, but we saw it against Oakland last yr, and a couple others. The guys didn't want to play for harbaw...and frankly, i understand why.

You are missing the point.

Let's just say Harbaugh did a lousy job in 2014 for the sake of discussion, fine, I don"t have a problem with that. The issue is if you want to fire Harbaugh then at least go out and hire a legit candidate for cry out loud!!

Tomsula is a massively under-qualified HC. In fact, he was the reason why we weren't able to put together a a decent coaching staff. Noone else that were any good and in demand wanted to join the 9ers anymore after Tomsula was hired, that is just a fact.

5-11 seems about right. There are no easy games on our schedule but just going by the level of QB play from our competitors, I say we have the best chance of beating Cleveland, Minnesota, and Chicago. We will probably split with the Rams. And I'm guessing we beat either NY Giants or Atlanta Falcons.

7-9 if we beat both Giants and Atlanta and split with Cardinals.

Anyone seeing more wins than that is being really, really optimistic. And I applaud that.
My prediction is that since we have the element of surprise this year, we might sneak up on teams and maybe even go 9-0 to start the season. And then the league will have enough film on the Geep Chryst budget offense and we finish the season on a 7 game losing streak and miss the playoffs.

Best case scenario : 9-7
Worst case scenario : 0-16
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I still have us at 8 & 8...

a few luck here and there, (like not fumbling the ball against the Rams inside 1 yard line last year) can get us to an ez 10-6 (Wild Card) season..

.. but, not being focus (again, vs the Rams 2nd time around last year) against the likes of the Bengals or even the young and suddenly athletic Vikings, can get us to a poor 6 & 10 season...
Considering Harbaugh and co won 13 games and clinched a NFC Championship game in their first season, Tomsula better get 10 wins with this roster or else I lose all faith in upper management, until the next Harbaugh comes along.... Yes, the defense was destined to be very good in 2011, but the offense this year is younger and more athletic...
Optimistically 12-4 to 10-6
Two swing games are @ PIT and @CHI. We win both, we're 12-4. If we lose both, we'll be 10-6. In the NFC West we have to be careful as 10-6 might not be enough to make the playoffs.

1. MIN - W (We're better than Minnesota, and our pass rush should fluster Bridgewater enough. AP will be back, but how great of game shape will he be in after that long layoff?)

2. @PIT - W/L (LaVeon Bell suspension really hurts them and if Ben tries to pass on us, our pass rush is going to feast. The key in this game is forcing Ben to drop back and pass a lot behind that line. Pittsburgh's defense is compromised and rebuilding and we should be able to outmaneuver them with our run game and skill positions.)

3. @AZ - L (I really want to predict a win here, but I was trying to give AZ respect. Arians has them playing tough at home, and if Palmer is healthy and they're seriously trying to establish the run, I could see a close loss.)

4. GB - W (GB still has weaknesses on defense that our personnel will exploit; we are just a bad tactical matchup for their defensive personnel. They won't be able to shut down our run game and if they commit the resources to try it, Kaepernick will pass all over them like in 2013)

5. @NYG - W (This could be a swing game too. Eli historically gives us fits, but with their OL being so compromised, I think our pass rush again makes the difference and force Eli to throw a lot of interceptions.)

6. BAL - L (I think this could be a win, and I hate the idea of losing to them again, but since we can't win them all, I think we may lose in a close one. Baltimore seems to match up with us well, and at least when Jim was coach, his brother seemed to figure him out. Maybe it'll be different with Tomsula at the helm.)

7. SEA - W (Revenge game. Kap played well in the second game in Seattle last year and threw no picks in Seattle. He managed the game better and we have a better overall run game with the commitment to keep running on them like you MUST do to beat them. Short week for both teams, but Seattle has to travel after playing the physical Panther defense. Seattle plays worse on the road, and people forget they actually played pretty sloppily on Thanksgiving last year - it's just that we played so badly it didn't matter. Tomsula won't repeat that this year. Slight edge to us. We win another 17-14 type of game.)

8. @STL - L (I still don't really buy the Rams with Foles, and their secondary is still very suspect, but they seem to give us fits and I'm going to pick the road game as the loss.)

9. ATL - W (Not strong enough on either the OL or DL. Our pass rush will be harassing Matty Ice into making enough mistakes to lose. Navorro Bowman Pick Six at Levis anyone?)

10. @SEA - L (I think this will be a close game overall as Kap will play well, but the home field advantage tips the game Seattle's way. The two teams are very evenly matched last year's overall meltdown notwithstanding. The hawks OL is oddly worse than it was last year, and as long as we can control Lynch, which is doable but not easy, we have a shot. I say this is one of those games we fail to control Lynch and lose.)

11. AZ - W (We continue to beat AZ at home. By this point, the Cards are possibly starting Stanton, and our pass rush makes it hard for him to go deep, and we win a tough battle.)

12. @CHI - W/L (Chicago's defense still looks compromised, but Fangio/Donatell are quality coaches. There's a revenge factor for them. But they have Jay Cutler and we can count on him to blow it. No more Brandon Marshall, so their passing attack should be weaker. Its in the winter so the weather will be cold, if not possibly snowing. Swing game)

13. @CLE - W (Cleveland has no real QB threat to us, and barring a flat game from our squad, we should win in a bruising old AFC North style running game/defensive slugfest.)

14. CIN - W (Andy Dalton will cave under our pass rush. Our big concern will be playing good ball control and carefully on offense to avoid turnovers to their defense.)

15. @DET - W (Detroit and Stafford are paper tigers. I just don't buy them. Their DL is now compromised, and we should expect to run all over them, and have Stafford throw a few picks. This could be a blow out win.)

16. STL - W (The rams put up a fight, but at this point SF is battling for the division or a top wild card and so they don't let up. 49ers win.)

Full disclosure: I'm a bit of a 49ers homer, but I see good things ahead for us IF Jim Tomsula is a good to very good coach and has hired a staff that works cohesively and with good schemes that fit our talent. For the purposes of this post, I'm assuming this to be true. I realize it could be false.
[ Edited by Adusoron on May 8, 2015 at 12:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone