LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Hunter vs James

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Kendal Hunter makes a 100% recovery for the start of training camp as it is being reported he will, who should be the #2 running back behind Gore?

Should it be Hunter or Lamichael James.

I can not decide myself so when you respond please let me know why you think one way over another.

Also if one of them gets the #2 back carries does that realistically leave any playing time for the other?
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Hunter without a doubt. The guy is our future #1 imo after Gore retires imo, assuming the injury won't hinder him. Hands are solid, he's developing into a great pass protector, and he's explosive.
Originally posted by Disp:
Hunter without a doubt. The guy is our future #1 imo after Gore retires imo, assuming the injury won't hinder him. Hands are solid, he's developing into a great pass protector, and he's explosive.

he has amazing vision Imo...it seems like he gets every yard possible and some....can run inside and outside.

James was a rookie last year so his ceiling has not been set yet....learning from Hunter will only help him get better.

i hope we use both of them through out the season....they are insurance for each other, for us.

heck having Hunter, Kaep, James all in the back field at the same time could cause headaches for defenses....for key 3rd down situations. There is so much we can do there.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Mar 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM ]
try to trade gore for a #1 in 2014 ?
Hunter easily, I honestly think we would have won the superbowl with hunter.
Hunter has shown more power but LMJ was coming on strong. At this stage I'd lean toward Hunter as more a full time player. LMJ will have to solidify his position as a return man.
Hunter, and its not even close. If Hunter was healthy LMJ would not have even seen the field. I wonder how they will even use him in the coming season if Hunter is 100% healthy. Thats why the pick as such a head scratcher. Hunter can do everything LMJ can do on offense and he can do it better.
I would have to say Hunter easily,LMJ is no slouch though.
Thats the beauty of it,RB's get dinged up all the time its great to have depth there.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

He's to old for that high of a pick and I want him to retire a niner.
LMJ is more explosive.

Kendall is better between the tackles.

2a and 2b IMHO

i think theyll split them as the backups. very different runners. be good to keep defenses on their toes. hunter is a beast but LMJ was tearin it up towards the end of the year
Honestly I was really impressed with Hunter before he went down. I knew he was explosive and when I looked he was averaging over 5 yards/carry; that's awesome. any back over 5 is worth holding onto for sure.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

He's to old for that high of a pick and I want him to retire a niner.

I agree, no team is giving up a number 1 for Frank. IMO he means too much to the team and the fans, and doesn't deserve to be traded away like some bum..

On topic - I think Kendall should be the number 2, while LMJ handles KR/PR and spells Frank and Kendall at time. 9ers have a nice mix of RB's right now.
[ Edited by kemp_j on Mar 30, 2013 at 6:38 AM ]
Hunter doesn't put the ball on the ground.
I thought hunter when James first took over as well but honestly towards the end of the year and in the post season i felt like something clicked for James. I thought he was starting to show some signs of understanding the offense and becoming more patience as a runner. If this continued or continues i could see him being as good or better than Hunter. Any thoughts on that?

I think this is why I really started this thread because i do think currently if Hunter picks up where he left off he is the better back but i could see James if he continues to improve his patience is more explosive and could be the better back in the not to distant future.
Share 49ersWebzone