101 - Steve Wallace TAuburn
102 - Kevin f*gan DEMiami (Fla.)
131 - Pat Miller LBFlorida
162 - Don Griffin DBMiddle Tennessee State
203 - Jim Popp --Vanderbilt
240 - Tony Cherry RBOregon
267 - Elliston Stinson --Rice
270 - Harold Hallman --Auburn

Whoa slow down there. This draft may prove to be great and still never come close to 86. I mean a HOF in the 4th and countless other contributors. Here's hoping this one pans out though.
  • Sosa
Originally posted by REB4:
Originally posted by crake49:
I can't lay Taylor Mays on Baalke. I've read a number of accounts of that draft that said Baalke was mainly interested in Kam Chancellor, but Singletary was adamant that he wanted Mays.

Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Singletary was yelling in the war room. Looked belligerent, as he often did. Baalke gave in, which I'm sure he always regretted.

Let's not start making excuses for him. He wants to claim all the success here, then ALL the blame lays on him too. There's no Scot M. influence like there was in 2010, no Singletary or Harbaugh to blame on this one. This is ALL on him now. And the pattern on overreaches continues. Unfortunately for Tomsula (and the fans), he'll get fired before Baalke does.

Yea you can't just lay every bit of blame for Taylor Mays at Singletarys feet, then give all the praise to Baalke for Davis and Iupati when all reports said Singletary was the one that wanted the linemen for his run game.
Originally posted by SoCold:
This just proves my point.

Instead of taking the highest ranked player at the spot (Watt) Trent took a bigger need player that wasn't ranked as high (Aldon)

He didn't do that this year. He took a player he had rated higher (in his mind) over a bigger team need with 2 of the top 3 ranked CB's sitting there.
Once more:
we were looking for a 34-OLB, not for a 34-DE. Although, JJ Watt and Aldon Smith were mentioned by the CBS in the same table (DE), one could determine that they are not projected to play the same position in a 34-defense given their weight for example (Aldon at 265 against JJ at 290).
Therefore, there was no "he has taken the lower-ranked player" according to your point, Aldon vs. JJ, at all. If you want to argue about the "taking the lower-ranked player" issue based on the Aldon-Smith-Pick, you should take Robert Quinn into your account but you have to drop JJ Watt out of consideration, imho.

why has Baalke used this approach? Because he seems to pick the NEED-based bpa. Back then, our d-line wasn't a need by any means.

BTW, Baalke has stated that he was afraid of losing Tarrt. Why? Because the safety-class is very thin this year (as it is almost every year) whereas you got plenty of choice at CB.
On top of that, Tarrt seemed to be ranked higher than some ppl realize (indeed, the real need-based BPA could have been a CB. But, perhaps he was the leader by a small margin instead of a whole round or so. Therefore they decided to pick Tarrt instead based on reasons a lot of ppl have already mentioned).
  • evil
  • Veteran
Let's not start making excuses for him. He wants to claim all the success here, then ALL the blame lays on him too. There's no Scot M. influence like there was in 2010, no Singletary or Harbaugh to blame on this one. This is ALL on him now. And the pattern on overreaches continues. Unfortunately for Tomsula (and the fans), he'll get fired before Baalke does.

If Baalke is taking the BPA on his board or a player who he and his staff have graded out as a value when they are on the clock is it still a reach or overreach ? What makes a selection he made a reach/overreach ? Are you basing this off of your own rankings, or those from an analyst you like/respect or from some internet draft site or perhaps the consensus of what analysts/draft sites are saying ?
[ Edited by KRS-1 on May 11, 2015 at 12:30 PM ]
I can't lay Taylor Mays on Baalke. I've read a number of accounts of that draft that said Baalke was mainly interested in Kam Chancellor, but Singletary was adamant that he wanted Mays.

To point out that Singletary lobbied hard to draft Taylor Mays instead of Kam Chancellor is not "making excuses" for Trent Baalke. It's just stating a fact.

You're the one saying Baalke wants to claim all the success - I think you just made that up. I've never seen ANY indication from Baalke that he demands all credit for the draft. If you've seen a quote or anything to verify that, let's see it. All I've heard him say publicly is that the draft is a group effort including his people, team scouts and coaches with some input from players at times.

And what is this "pattern of over-reaching?" Aldon Smith? He was rated two spots higher than JJ Watt. Crabtree? He was the consensus best receiver in the draft that year. Eric Reid? At least four draft scouting organizations had him as the best safety in the draft. I'll give you AJ Jenkins, but the jury is still out on Ward and Carlos Hyde. I don't see this pattern you're talking about at all.

Singletary was yelling in the war room. Looked belligerent, as he often did. Baalke gave in, which I'm sure he always regretted.

stop wasting our time please. If you don't want to discuss an issue based on objective information, then leave the thread. If you hate Baalke, just admit it.
However, it makes a HUGE difference if a coach wanted a certain player really hard whereas the GM had his eyes on a different prospect. As I've already stated:
a GM cannot ignore the wisher of the coaching staff all day long. Of course, the GM should try to convince him to forget about the prospect but it does not work every time like that.
Originally posted by communist:

stop wasting our time please. If you don't want to discuss an issue based on objective information, then leave the thread. If you hate Baalke, just admit it.
However, it makes a HUGE difference if a coach wanted a certain player really hard whereas the GM had his eyes on a different prospect. As I've already stated:
a GM cannot ignore the wisher of the coaching staff all day long. Of course, the GM should try to convince him to forget about the prospect but it does not work every time like that.

agreed communist ...but in Baalke's defense, there were many reports that Singletary wasn't taking no for an answer in regards to drafting Taylor Mays, it was May's or bust for Singletary, who was reported to have thrown a hissy fit and was convinced that Mays was the right pick??
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
agreed communist ...but in Baalke's defense, there were many reports that Singletary wasn't taking no for an answer in regards to drafting Taylor Mays, it was May's or bust for Singletary, who was reported to have thrown a hissy fit and was convinced that Mays was the right pick??
are you indeed asking me whether it was the case?
Originally posted by SoCold:
^did not read

but the entire draft was a head scratcher

drafting the 11th ranked punter

drafting the 47th ranked OT

drafting two TE's and not drafting an ILB or CB

Yup. It was the worst draft I've ever experienced as a Niners fan.
Originally posted by KingSol:
Yup. It was the worst draft I've ever experienced as a Niners fan.

How does anyone know that when nobody has even taken the field yet?

• 9moon
  • Veteran
It's normal to grade the draft based on paper...

I gave this draft a C, just because I feel that we ignored the ILB position.. the fear of not having Willis, the retirement of Borland, and the fact that we don't even know if Bowman can get back to his form prior to injury..

Our corners are not proven, and it would have been nice to draft a player that we all knew off.

.. and really, if you look at each players that we drafted, just focus on them, it's so very true that they weren't meant to help us this year.. . but then again, why would we draft players for the future, can Baalke really see the future of these guys... what if we keep all these draft picks and by the time they bloom (in the future), are we gonna re-sign each and everyone of them??

that's the part that did not make any sense..

we have the RBs, the OLBS and we drafted good players at the position.

we have a good punter, and drafted one to challenge here..

the OL that we have, we have the dept, and yet, we took 2 more guys...
Share 49ersWebzone