LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

2nd round head scratchers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Baalke is a former safety
Baalke is a year ahead of us. 2 TE's - well because Davis and McDonald are probably gone after this year. No CB well last year he was ahead of us and took Johnson, Acker, Reaser and then signs Wright this year. ILB is a little puzzling but I assume they didn't like anyone or they think Wheeler/Bishop/Moody/Skov should lead to 1 decent #3 ILB or who knows maybe Brooks plays ILB?

The OT they could move to guard which is easier to play since there is less space. He has kilgore traits, mean streak.. a lot stronger than he looks. It's a middle 6th not a big deal. 11th ranked punter is misleading because he has wicked hang time. A small percentage of his punts were returned and he only had 2 touchbacks. Plus he can kick off which Dawson can't do anymore, half of his don't make the goal line.

Most of the people complaining hardly study the draft more than 1 hour. So all you guys want is the big named players and if you dont get them the guy will be a bust. Plus we have no idea where teams were thinking of taking these guys. Like Rapport reported teams were trying to trade up for Tartt in the 2nd yet most of us would have said he was a round or 2 early. Reid a few years back at 18 we thought late 1st well it comes other teams were ready to take him in the 20 range. Jenkins (although didnt work out) people thought 2-3 well the rams were ready to take him a few picks later.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
.. another head scratcher to me is that.. What's with the South Carolina Gamecock players getting drated by us year after year???

this entire draft, not only it is a very much of a head scratcher... IT DID NOT IMPROVE OUR TEAM!!!!!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Mays was really a Singletary Pick.
2) James was BPA...didn't work out.
3) Hyde was taken to play THIS year...which he will. Baalke drafts for future need, not immediate need.
3) Read the above for Tartt.
Marvin sometimes you have to Wonder about some of these Posters on this forum,and question their Forward thinking and Football IQ,it seems like there is quite a bit of instant gratification type guys on here,which leads to a narrow view of the bigger picture and the Future make up of this team, here`s a true saying" those who fail to plan for the future ,plan to fail the future.
Originally posted by 9moon:
.. another head scratcher to me is that.. What's with the South Carolina Gamecock players getting drated by us year after year???

this entire draft, not only it is a very much of a head scratcher... IT DID NOT IMPROVE OUR TEAM!!!!!

That's ridiculous. You don't know anything about what these guys will do. It's like you started following football this year.

Drafting is not an exact science. Say we fast forward two years and Amrstead turns out to be a Richard Seymour type player, Tartt turns into a Kam Chancellor, Harold puts up 10+ sacks a season, Smelter turns into a faster Anquan Boldin and Pinion becomes an all pro punter?

Would you still be saying the team wasn't improved? Not every draft gives you instant gratification. The team is still pretty talented and clearly the front office doesnt' believe our needs at ILB or CB are as drastic as the fans believe.

It's like clock work around here - draft doesn't include the well known names and suddenly the sky is falling.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Actually, I expect Tartt to be the best player from this year's draft..

and let me ask you, are you happy with this draft?
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Baalke is a year ahead of us. 2 TE's - well because Davis and McDonald are probably gone after this year. No CB well last year he was ahead of us and took Johnson, Acker, Reaser and then signs Wright this year. ILB is a little puzzling but I assume they didn't like anyone or they think Wheeler/Bishop/Moody/Skov should lead to 1 decent #3 ILB or who knows maybe Brooks plays ILB?

The OT they could move to guard which is easier to play since there is less space. He has kilgore traits, mean streak.. a lot stronger than he looks. It's a middle 6th not a big deal. 11th ranked punter is misleading because he has wicked hang time. A small percentage of his punts were returned and he only had 2 touchbacks. Plus he can kick off which Dawson can't do anymore, half of his don't make the goal line.

Most of the people complaining hardly study the draft more than 1 hour. So all you guys want is the big named players and if you dont get them the guy will be a bust. Plus we have no idea where teams were thinking of taking these guys. Like Rapport reported teams were trying to trade up for Tartt in the 2nd yet most of us would have said he was a round or 2 early. Reid a few years back at 18 we thought late 1st well it comes other teams were ready to take him in the 20 range. Jenkins (although didnt work out) people thought 2-3 well the rams were ready to take him a few picks later.

Nice teaching,don`t it feel like you have teach some of these Guys who are whinning about the draft picks like teaching Kindergarten,its like they don`t see the big picture,speaking of scratchin heads,Hell they have me scratching my head as to why they don`t see the future of these picks
Originally posted by genus49:

That's ridiculous. You don't know anything about what these guys will do. It's like you started following football this year.

Drafting is not an exact science. Say we fast forward two years and Amrstead turns out to be a Richard Seymour type player, Tartt turns into a Kam Chancellor, Harold puts up 10+ sacks a season, Smelter turns into a faster Anquan Boldin and Pinion becomes an all pro punter?

Would you still be saying the team wasn't improved? Not every draft gives you instant gratification. The team is still pretty talented and clearly the front office doesnt' believe our needs at ILB or CB are as drastic as the fans believe.

It's like clock work around here - draft doesn't include the well known names and suddenly the sky is falling.

thank GOD for guys like you genus49 who have Football Knowledge and Not instant-gratification desire.
Originally posted by genus49:

thank GOD for guys like you genus49 who have Football Knowledge and Not instant-gratification desire.

HELL YES
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bNOv-v7xZY

players are well coached on offense and well versed on NFL standards,they know what to look for already coming out of a Pro-Set in college it gives them step ahead of other guys.
[ Edited by jrouter4949 on May 4, 2015 at 12:15 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
oh, that's right.. the Fun n Gun offense in South Carolina...

that was really a sucessfuly offense with the OL' Coach and his Redskins' tenure..

It makes no difference whether I am or not.

I've been ecstatic over certain drafts only to see those players flake out and offer nothing of value to us. I've questioned some draft picks and have been happy to be wrong.

This is not a type of draft to get excited about because odds are the only guy who has a chance of starting is actually the punter. Still as I alluded to above saying the team isn't beter is stupid and when we look back on this class in say 5 years it may be much more exciting.

I remember being thrilled when we traded down and still got Rashaun Woods who looked super NFL ready. We all know how that went down.
I remember questioning the signing of Justin Smith a 4-3 DE who was too small to play 3-4 DE and too big to play 3-4 OLB....We all know how that went down.

It's ok to play favorites and have personal opinions, we all have them but nobody on this forum and nobody in history has been perfect in player evaluations. So why bother foaming at the mouth and getting so upset before these guys can prove you right or wrong?
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Nice teaching,don`t it feel like you have teach some of these Guys who are whinning about the draft picks like teaching Kindergarten,its like they don`t see the big picture,speaking of scratchin heads,Hell they have me scratching my head as to why they don`t see the future of these picks
oh, that's right.. the Fun n Gun offense in South Carolina...

that was really a sucessfuly offense with the OL' Coach and his Redskins' tenure..
so what are saying? these players are`nt worth drafting?because they come from the SAME school? oh lets not do that it makes us look BAD,drafting multiple players from the same school weakens our team, and the sky will fall if we do that
Originally posted by VoiceofReason:
Long time reader but first time poster. I usually give Trent B. the benefit of the doubt when it comes to decisions on who the 49ers keep or don't keep, sign or don't sign. But there is very specific area that he has always confused me...2nd round picks!!! This isn't crying over spilled milk because I never liked or understood several of his 2nd round picks. Trent drafted Taylor Mays, LaMichael James, Carlos Hyde and now Tartt in the 2nd round. I didn't like any of the picks when they were made. Don't get me wrong, I like Carlos Hyde and have high hopes for him this year. But when we drafted him I thought there were more pressing needs than a RB. The other three picks just infuriated me and in my opinion were wasted picks from the start. How do you build a winning team when you keep wasting second round picks? Does anyone else feel the same way?

I think they went to 3 straight NFC title games and one superbowl after they drafted Mays and James so I guess that is winning in my book even though they were not on the team but it didn't kill them. The Hyde pick was kinda of like this years draft where you draft for the future and not now. I think Hyde will work out just fine.
Share 49ersWebzone