LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

OL Trenton Brown, Future Hall Of Fame Right Tackle

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Can't wait to see what the future brings for this young guy, he's a monster.

https://vine.co/v/ibE5tIi9UPU

Jesus. And yes, that's Kilgore getting shoved back 5 yards.

Kilgore did not have a good game. Of course he was dealing with Aaron Donald a lot of the time.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

All the more reason I want Anthony Davis to stay retired (or possibly move to RG). If he stays retired, use that money & a few bucks more on Alshon Jeffery.

Money is not an issue. We can have AD and Jeffrey, assuming he wants to come here.

I would like a healthy AD back. He moves the needle on the NEED issue.
Originally posted by dj43:
Money is not an issue. We can have AD and Jeffrey, assuming he wants to come here.

Money is always an issue. Whatever money they're not spending on Davis they can spend on someone else. If the team has a RT for next to nothing, there's really no reason to even have Davis on the team other than if he'd be willing to play guard. I'd prefer he played left guard next to Staley, but that's just me. But to bring him back & sit Brown on the bench would be a waste of 3 more years of the best value in football (a 7th rounder or UDFA starting).
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jan 4, 2016 at 10:33 PM ]

Money is always an issue. Whatever money they're not spending on Davis they can spend on someone else. If the team has a RT for next to nothing, there's really no reason to even have Davis on the team other than if he'd be willing to play guard. I'd prefer he played left guard next to Staley, but that's just me. But to bring him back & sit Brown on the bench would be a waste of 3 more years of the best value in football (a 7th rounder or UDFA starting).

For insurance. Trent brown was a 7th round pikc due to his weight. there is no guarentee he doesnt come in at 400 pounds next year. We shouldnt be handing a position to ANYONE. We have a ton of money, and oline was our weakest postion, the best 5 should play and AD can push him trent that much farther and vice versa.

Being thin at a psotion and not having enough competition or depth is what screwwed us on the oline.
[ Edited by philosoraptor on Jan 5, 2016 at 12:04 PM ]
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

For insurance. Trent brown was a 7th round pikc due to his weight. there is no guarentee he doesnt come in at 400 pounds next year. We shouldnt be handing a position to ANYONE. We have a ton of money, and oline was our weakest postion, the best 5 should play and AD can push him trent that much farther and vice versa.

Being thin at a psotion and not having enough competition or depth is what screwwed us on the oline.

This is EXACTLY how Trent needs to approach it...constant eye on "upgrades."

There's nothing preventing the team from drafting another tackle (or sign a cheaper one in FA). Whatever salary Davis isn't taking up can be deferred to another position.

Of course you don't hand the position to anyone, if you have a starter, you have to treat him as such until he proves otherwise. Davis not coming back would help the team IMO.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for philosoraptor.

There's nothing preventing the team from drafting another tackle (or sign a cheaper one in FA). Whatever salary Davis isn't taking up can be deferred to another position.

Of course you don't hand the position to anyone, if you have a starter, you have to treat him as such until he proves otherwise. Davis not coming back would help the team IMO.
So we take a tackle top 10 to compete with brown to start? I dont like that idea to be honest. Especially since we already have davis,a guy who was a top tier RT at one point(who hasnt even hit his prime,only 26), and brown an RT with elite tangibles. Why dont we take that pick and go after a qb, or an elite skill postion talent, or an elite front seven talent. Unless you mean econd or third round, but there is no guarentee we get someone polished enough to get a spot immediately.

To be honest Id rather have brown and AD compete for the tackle spot with the loser playing guard, and go after a C in free agency. Tiller I think earned a chance to start with Brandon Thomas, martin pushing for the spot.
So we take a tackle top 10 to compete with brown to start?

It doesn't have to be the top 10. What I'm saying is that Brown has shown enough to give me confidence to stick him at RT as the starter. Davis needs to play guard or stay retired IMO (and I'm hoping it's staying retired because I think the money will be better spent elsewhere).

Kilgore did not have a good game. Of course he was dealing with Aaron Donald a lot of the time.

Its tuff coming back from a broken leg. Its hard to train and takes a while to get over that stiffness. I.Williams was the same way when he broke his leg, he looked like a scrub and now he is one of the best nose tackles in the league.

He will be ready to go next season.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Its tuff coming back from a broken leg. Its hard to train and takes a while to get over that stiffness. I.Williams was the same way when he broke his leg, he looked like a scrub and now he is one of the best nose tackles in the league.

He will be ready to go next season.

I have little doubt...strength has always been his only real issue. But it is a real issue.

So we take a tackle top 10 to compete with brown to start?

It doesn't have to be the top 10. What I'm saying is that Brown has shown enough to give me confidence to stick him at RT as the starter. Davis needs to play guard or stay retired IMO (and I'm hoping it's staying retired because I think the money will be better spent elsewhere).

How is the money better spent else where? Our issue is offensive line, and guess what, anthony davis was really good not to long ago, even performed decently when he played in 2013.

Brown has never performed at the level AD has. We have nearly 40 million in cap space, and his cap hit is 5 million next year, not much for a potential bookend. So we are just going to hand the role to either a rookie, or a 7th round pick who has played like three games? Sounds like a roll of the dice and a lot of hope, maybe its a homerun, maybe you end up with the same right tackle play the last two years, or mediocrity. AD is healthy now(unlike 2013, and 2014), would be stupid not to see what a former probowl level player at RIGHT TACKLE(who isnt even 27) can do. Why should he play guard, a position he has never played at? I just think the logic is silly and more predicated on people being upset that he retired due to concussions.

So for a player we dont need to acquire through free agency, need to trade for, or spend a pick on, we potentially acquire a potentially really good player(if he returns to form) at a position of need at a manageable cap number. Yeah lets just not utilize that opportunity because we have a 7th rounder, with a weight issue, from last year who played 3 games . not saying i dont like trent brown, the upside is there, but Im not about putting all my eggs in one basket.

PS: why do you bold every players name? kind of weird.
[ Edited by philosoraptor on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM ]
How is the money better spent else where?

Alshon Jeffery.

Go balls out & sign Muhamad Wilkerson (not my first choice, but Davis staying retired would make that move make a lot more sense).

The falcons might cut Andy Levitre for cap reasons; I'd rather have a proven guard than convert Davis in hopes he can play guard.

There will be plenty of options on which the Niners can spend Davis' would-be salary. They shouldn't keep Brown or Davis on the bench; that's a waste of talent.

...Oh, and I bold the names because it makes 'em easier to scan for content IMO.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:46 PM ]
How is the money better spent else where?

Alshon Jeffery.

Go balls out & sign Muhamad Wilkerson (not my first choice, but Davis staying retired would make that move make a lot more sense).

The falcons might cut Andy Levitre for cap reasons; I'd rather have a proven guard than convert Davis in hopes he can play guard.

There will be plenty of options on which the Niners can spend Davis' would-be salary. They shouldn't keep Brown or Davis on the bench; that's a waste of talent.

lol you realize they have 40 million in cap space including kap's salary, bethea, brooks, etc.? its not like ad(5 million) would stop them from making moves. even if wilkerson, for example, costs 15 million or 16 million, they would still have a ton of cap space. You could have AD and other players. So what you would rather over pay for one of the top guards, which will surely cost 8 million and above.

andy levitre? you mean the guard bad enough to be traded during the season? so you would rather trade a player who is younger, played at a higher level, for a guy who is about to be thirty and hasnt played well in multiple seasons? . Brown can play guard if he cant beat out ad, which i honestly dont think he can, and thats NOT a bad thing its about the best player at the best positions. trent can play inside depending on the scheme. Im not sure what your obsession with cutting AD, or playing him at guard instead of welcoming him back. Its catching a break if anything.
lol you realize they have 40 million in cap space including kap's salary, bethea, brooks, etc.? its not like ad(5 million) would stop them from making moves. even if wilkerson, for example, costs 15 million or 16 million, they would still have a ton of cap space.

So you just waste cap space on players who wouldn't help the team in the long run? Is that it?

Think 2018, not 2016. The Niners aren't a SB contender, and they won't be any time soon. The more they can front-load contracts now, the less they have to defer to future caps.
Oakland , all trent has to do to buy mack or pouncey at C, is take a look at any of the games this yr and concentrate on C. It didn't exist. It was horrid. Awful. Stinky. And worse it got kap hurt and should have gotten blaine hurt, but he knows how to unload the ball quicker than kap. So bet money on seeing a pouncey or mack at C. God knows we need one. Also which ever QB we had , our C frequently bowled him over from getting bent over by the NT or MLB.. Center was the worst , but OT was right there. AD to me is a big nothing, and even if he comes back, how good is he, taking off a yr....can he still block? If so he would make a helluve rotational OT, or OG, but if he started, thatn that means trent didn't get the C, OT and OG we needed. Look, we don't just need starters, altho we certainly do. We need good rotational guys who also can come in and start in an injury. This yr we were short 3 of out 5 starting OL guys. The ones we had were disgraceful.

Nobody wins wth anOL like that. Nobody. Not Bill Walsh, not tom brady, nor Payton. Fix it or enjoy another yr of fecklessness...even without Jt.
Share 49ersWebzone