LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

OL Trenton Brown, Future Hall Of Fame Right Tackle

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pizza1:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Synergy takes time. Right now we have a foundation, some walls up, part of the roof and some interior up. Some nice pieces.

It's not a house yet. But you can see it's going to be in a couple years.

Vision. Do you have it?

not saying there arent players that can be built on. just that we have some land and maybe a nice sized tp. still working on the blue print before construction can really begin

Haha. Yeah. This core is super young. You might be right. All the nails have been bought, cement, siding, etc. Maybe need to hire anotherforeman and a couple supervisors.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Boone is gone for sure. At least that's my opinion. His performance has been OK and his hold out an extra b******t and our team not winning that much and not willing to offer him a lot will be the reason he leaves. The sad thing is the replacement at left guard might be Martin. I'm really hoping that Anthony Davis can play left guard or right guard and Tiller could play the other guard position. While brown stays at right tackle because Davis wasn't that good at pass protection and I think Brown will be better.That way we have two good right tackles and we would just need a good free agent guard for depth or to start

Agree. Tiller is already at LG. So it'll be Staley - Tiller - Kilgore - Thomas/Martin - Davis. It might get really interesting if Davis comes back.

That's not ok with me. Tiller Has not shown enough to go into next year as a proven commodity and MM is awful. Who knows what Thomas can bring to rhe table but that is essentially 2 holes at the G position. Not ok at all.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 2, 2016 at 8:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Boone is gone for sure. At least that's my opinion. His performance has been OK and his hold out an extra b******t and our team not winning that much and not willing to offer him a lot will be the reason he leaves. The sad thing is the replacement at left guard might be Martin. I'm really hoping that Anthony Davis can play left guard or right guard and Tiller could play the other guard position. While brown stays at right tackle because Davis wasn't that good at pass protection and I think Brown will be better.That way we have two good right tackles and we would just need a good free agent guard for depth or to start

Agree. Tiller is already at LG. So it'll be Staley - Tiller - Kilgore - Thomas/Martin - Davis. It might get really interesting if Davis comes back.

That's not ok with me. Tiller Has not shown enough to go into next year as a proven commodity and MM is awful. Who knows what Thomas can bring to rhe table but that is essentially 2 holes at the G position. Not ok at all.

I'd look for 2-3 quality linemen in the draft, 2nd and 3rd round. A couple of those guys need to be backups.
I think one stud LG and a veteran Center for insurance will do wonders for this team. Osemele, Incognito, and Brooks could bring some continuity to the left side.

We'd just be filling the RG spot with Tiller leading the way. The young guys will get time to continue developing
[ Edited by strickac on Jan 3, 2016 at 4:42 AM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Tiller is a rising stud though. I watched him closely last game next to Staley and Kilgore and he was helping to open up massive holes. Already ranked #22 among all NFL G's. Good PP too. He was just stuck next to Martin and Pears for a while.

I do like your approach though. Act as if you have nothing there. MD thinks the T spot is very deep with 6 expecting to go in the first round. Grab another top tier T and G, pick up a veteran C, etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 3, 2016 at 7:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
If Tiller ends up panning out long term, that sure will be a nice GET on our part. Ideally if we can roll into next year with what you just posted NCommand, that wouldn't be to bad, especially having Brown+Silberman+the loser of Thomas/Martin.

Yeah, as a unit, with Boone in there for Pears, this is a young rising OL unit just to start. It might actually be one of the tops in the NFL right now...using PFF grades, of course (8, 40, 28, 22, 18).

The more time goes by for Kilgore, the better I expect him to get.

Add another veteran, continue to develop Tiller, Btown, Silberman, Thomas and Martin (G only), and throw in a top tier rookie C/G and T.

We'll probably shut it down in the second half again do watch these guys closely in the first half. This will be another REALLY good front 7 we're facing.
I still stick with the best OT for our first rd pick, and mack/pouncy for C in FA, and buy another starting OG in FA. That would give us:

Staley /OG FA/ Pouncy-Mack C FA/ tiller/ brown( or AD if he comes back). That gives us no Pears, no martin, no devey. Have a really nice set of backup rotational guys that way....AD(or brown), Thomas, silberman....and no, no martin.

Alternative would be to move up and get a second rd 1 pick for a starting OG. We still need to get FA or rd 1 or high rd 2 a starting DT AND starting OLB passrusher. I guess you BPA it, but again would swap all picks except #1 and #2 for a second rd 1 pick and a second rd 2 pick...and then call it a draft. After that sign best 15-20 UDFA Qbs and simultaneously the best QB coach in the business (sounds like Payton) to try all 20 of those suckers out....hoping one or maybe two might be gems, but realizing low probability of getting one.

Out of draft and FA, we have to have the best OT, starting DT, starting OG, starting C(FA), and starting starting OLB passrusher (FA if a von miller type available, and draft if not).
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 3, 2016 at 11:20 AM ]
Can't wait to see what the future brings for this young guy, he's a monster.

https://vine.co/v/ibE5tIi9UPU
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:

Jesus. And yes, that's Kilgore getting shoved back 5 yards.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I still stick with the best OT for our first rd pick, and mack/pouncy for C in FA, and buy another starting OG in FA. That would give us:

Staley /OG FA/ Pouncy-Mack C FA/ tiller/ brown( or AD if he comes back). That gives us no Pears, no martin, no devey. Have a really nice set of backup rotational guys that way....AD(or brown), Thomas, silberman....and no, no martin.

Alternative would be to move up and get a second rd 1 pick for a starting OG. We still need to get FA or rd 1 or high rd 2 a starting DT AND starting OLB passrusher. I guess you BPA it, but again would swap all picks except #1 and #2 for a second rd 1 pick and a second rd 2 pick...and then call it a draft. After that sign best 15-20 UDFA Qbs and simultaneously the best QB coach in the business (sounds like Payton) to try all 20 of those suckers out....hoping one or maybe two might be gems, but realizing low probability of getting one.

Out of draft and FA, we have to have the best OT, starting DT, starting OG, starting C(FA), and starting starting OLB passrusher (FA if a von miller type available, and draft if not).
I just don't see Baalke shelling out be money for a C or OG. Its just not his MO.

The fact that Brown sat on the bench as long as he did this year really ticks me off.

All the more reason I want Anthony Davis to stay retired (or possibly move to RG). If he stays retired, use that money & a few bucks more on Alshon Jeffery.

I'm not the least bit excited about Kilgore coming back. Never liked him at all. At least Marcus Martin has the excuse that he's an infant in NFL terms (he was the youngest player in the league last year). Kilgore's ok, but I'd rather see what someone else can do at C.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
The fact that Brown sat on the bench as long as he did this year really ticks me off.

It's maddening and it just shows how inept that staff was. We have no clue about Brandon Thomas either because he never got a chance.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

I just don't see Baalke shelling out be money for a C or OG. Its just not his MO.

From what Jed said about the amount of cap room we have, I do expect Baalke to shell out some money for some of the top FAs out there.

The key will be who Baalke gets for HC. If it is Payton or Jackson, I believe guys like Schwartz (OT Cle) or Mack will come. If it is a second line guy, then the prospects don't look so good. A lot of the better FAs already have plenty of money. They want to play for a winner, and have said as much.
Share 49ersWebzone