Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
*********Dockett**Tank or J.Smith****
****Lynch*******Bowman*********A.Smith
D.Johnson************************Brock***

********Ward**************Tartt*******

*****Betha*********************Reid

I think this defensive alignment would be pretty formidable against the Run or Pass.

That's really the beauty of all our defensive picks...it allows us so much flexibility without giving up anything in terms of skill sets. Even Wilhoite isn't the worst coverage ILB

This seems about right to me - Tartt needs to play close to the box. Someone on here said Ward is a thumper - I beg to differ. Ward is a good and fearless tackler, but doesn't really thump - Reid did, but now he has to be smart about his head, lol, so he is off the big hit game now.

The challenge for defenses now isn't so much the tradition 3-4 WR set, it is that with the modern TE (Graham) the offense can have a "base O" in the huddle and shift into a 4 receiver mode (even 5 receivers with the right RB) easily. So Base Defenses are finding it harder and harder to match up. Therefore, like tradition RBs, the traditional ILB is finding themselves on the sideline a lot.

What does that mean for team roster structure going forward? 2 gap DL for a 3-4 alignment become critical; taller, longer, faster OLB become critical to set the edge on a run and not just for pressure, but also for blocking passing lanes and playing zone. The ILB become hybred payers - maybe 1 thumper to take on guards on early run downs, but otherwise fast guys to shoot run gaps, play sideline to sideline, and cover.

Hmmm - Arik, Bowman, Tartt, Harold, Aldon, Lynch, Tank, Dial, etc - they all start to make sense.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
hahahah... I think I mentioned it before...

.. it is called the HORNED FROGS' 4-2-5 Leap!!
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
*********Dockett**Tank or J.Smith****
****Lynch*******Bowman*********A.Smith
D.Johnson************************Brock***

********Ward**************Tartt*******

*****Betha*********************Reid

I think this defensive alignment would be pretty formidable against the Run or Pass.

That's really the beauty of all our defensive picks...it allows us so much flexibility without giving up anything in terms of skill sets. Even Wilhoite isn't the worst coverage ILB
this defense would also be good for a zone scheme with Bowman as a spy. Send Lynch,Aldon,Dockett and Tank after the QB. Have Ward and Tarrt watch the sort and intermediate routes with Betha and Reid covering the deep stuff.
Bingo. Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. We basically DID draft an ILB...and a future starting SS too. Wilhoite and Bowman will still cover the base downs (or running down) and when teams are in obvious passing situations OR go to 3-4 WR sets, Wilhoite leaves the field and Tartt will come in.

I think people are forgetting that Wilhoite played safety in college.
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Bingo. Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. We basically DID draft an ILB...and a future starting SS too. Wilhoite and Bowman will still cover the base downs (or running down) and when teams are in obvious passing situations OR go to 3-4 WR sets, Wilhoite leaves the field and Tartt will come in.

I think people are forgetting that Wilhoite played safety in college.

Forget? Heck...I didn't even know that. LOL
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Why does NFL countdown or CBS Sports know more about our draft than Trent? That always bugs the hell out of me. When you look at the thots above the pick makes a lot of sense. Actually it makes a lot of sense for the JIMMY grahams out there. I don't know if it works, but we sure needed to do something different from last yr.
I referenced those sites specifically because they had a 2nd-3rd round grade on Tartt. I was saying that in a complimentary way, because it dismisses the notion that Tartt was "a reach". My point was that, on the contrary, there were sites out there that had him graded that high.

But anyway, generally I agree with what you're saying. Who cares what these sites ranked these players? There are guys with mid-round grades that go undrafted every year. Dres Anderson, for example, was pegged as high as a third round pick by some analysts, and we got him as a UDFA!
isn't tartt's weakness against the pass? he's considered great against the run

so how exactly does he help supplant willis's role in the big nickel?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I have a request. Can we please keep this thread focused on having 4 safeties on the field, and not whether drafting Tartt is a good idea? We have plenty of other threads to say that Baalke made a mistake in this draft. I would like to keep this thread focused on whether the 4 safety on the field approach will be effective, and if we think that is actually the direction that we are moving.
ward isn't a safety, people need to stop calling him that. he's our nickel cb, they plan to keep him in that role
Originally posted by iLL49er:
ward isn't a safety, people need to stop calling him that. he's our nickel cb, they plan to keep him in that role

Yup...slot CB. He's still learning the FS role but it's looking more and more like he's going to be a permanent fixture there and insurance for Reid (smart).

Share 49ersWebzone