LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

The 49ers may have a run stopping dime defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Like most here, I was scratching my head when the 49ers drafted a safety, DB Jaquiski Tartt, in the 2nd round. On most boards he was rated at least a round lower, so it seems like the 49ers really wanted him. So how does he fit? Let's look at our existing safeties:

Bethea - older player, but a Pro Bowler, and likely with the team for several more years
Reid - 1st rounder 2 years ago that has also been to the Pro Bowl
Ward - 1st rounder last year that plays as our nickel back

So to crack our nickel defense, Tartt would need to supplant one of the 3 above players. That would indicate that Baalke does not believe in one of those 3 players, and is trying to correct a draft mistake in the past 2 years. Personally, I don't think any of those players has played poorly enough that we need to draft their replacement.

But what if Tartt was drafted for a dime defense? Normally, dime defense is only trotted out when there is no concern about the opposing offense running the ball, as 6 defensive backs do not make good run stoppers. However, if 4 of those DB are safeties, maybe the run defense isn't that bad. Imagine facing New Orleans or Green Bay, and on first down trotting out a dime defense? You shut down their high powered QB, and the game hinges on how well the team can run the ball.

Also, with 4 safeties in the game, you can choose to blitz one of the safeties to generate pash rush. The 49ers also have plenty of DL, so in theory, even without Aldon or Lynch on the field, the 49ers could have an effective pash rush without either on the field.
Nice sentiment, but there is no way to rationalize that Tartt was anything but a serious reach.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I am just trying to understand the rationale. As far as I can tell, there really are 2 strategies for drafting a safety in the 2nd round:
1. One of the 3 starting safeties is believed to be leaving the team in the next year.
2. The 49ers plan to run the dime defense a lot more.

The biggest negative I can see in investing in the dime defense is that it won't help us beat Seattle. Seattle's threat isn't their pass game, it is their running game. I can't see us using a dime defense against them.
Tartt mostly covered the slot in college. That to me says one thing, Ward will have to watch his back.
Tartt can also play in the nickel as well. We can sub out Wilhoite and use Tartt to play in the box and cover the big TE's as well. I think he will get a lot of playing time this year. I'd say he ends up playing 50% of our defensive snaps. I think Baalke is trying to stay ahead of the curve with teams playing so many 3 WR sets and being able to have someone to cover big athletic TE's (Jimmy Graham) and not sacrifice in run defense. Tartt is perfect for playing against Seattle. He can help, key word being help cus I doubt a rookie will shut him down, cover Graham and he can play the run if Wilson tries the read option
Originally posted by fryet:
Like most here, I was scratching my head when the 49ers drafted a safety, DB Jaquiski Tartt, in the 2nd round. On most boards he was rated at least a round lower, so it seems like the 49ers really wanted him. So how does he fit? Let's look at our existing safeties:

Bethea - older player, but a Pro Bowler, and likely with the team for several more years
Reid - 1st rounder 2 years ago that has also been to the Pro Bowl
Ward - 1st rounder last year that plays as our nickel back

So to crack our nickel defense, Tartt would need to supplant one of the 3 above players. That would indicate that Baalke does not believe in one of those 3 players, and is trying to correct a draft mistake in the past 2 years. Personally, I don't think any of those players has played poorly enough that we need to draft their replacement.

But what if Tartt was drafted for a dime defense? Normally, dime defense is only trotted out when there is no concern about the opposing offense running the ball, as 6 defensive backs do not make good run stoppers. However, if 4 of those DB are safeties, maybe the run defense isn't that bad. Imagine facing New Orleans or Green Bay, and on first down trotting out a dime defense? You shut down their high powered QB, and the game hinges on how well the team can run the ball.

Also, with 4 safeties in the game, you can choose to blitz one of the safeties to generate pash rush. The 49ers also have plenty of DL, so in theory, even without Aldon or Lynch on the field, the 49ers could have an effective pash rush without either on the field.

Not quite accurate...Ward plays the slot CB. For Tartt to come in on (big) dime/nickel sets, he'd replace either Bowman or Wilhoite in the middle of the field. Ward would still be on the field in the slot. We'll go to this set a ton (60% of the time) b/c it's become a passing league...lots of 3 and 4 WR sets.
Tartt will play as a Nickel LB, not the slot. He'll be our coverage LB his rookie season. Both Tartt and Ward will be on the field together. So goes with Bethea and Reid. All 4 will play together. So no, it's not a wasted pick, it's a defensive concept pick. They want size and coverage ability for the defensive set they will be in the most.
I am just trying to understand the rationale. As far as I can tell, there really are 2 strategies for drafting a safety in the 2nd round:
1. One of the 3 starting safeties is believed to be leaving the team in the next year.
2. The 49ers plan to run the dime defense a lot more.

The biggest negative I can see in investing in the dime defense is that it won't help us beat Seattle. Seattle's threat isn't their pass game, it is their running game. I can't see us using a dime defense against them.

We've been invested in the dime defense for years...b/c we have too. That said, we only use this set when teams go to 3-4 WR sets. And when we do that, we'll bring the heat with Lynch/Harold/Aldon outside and now, inside, with Dockett and Carradine.

On base downs (and running downs), we'll still have our base formations designed to stop the run (Dial - Dorsey - AA) with Brooks & Aldon outside.
Originally posted by daragon:
Tartt will play as a Nickel LB, not the slot. He'll be our coverage LB his rookie season. Both Tartt and Ward will be on the field together. So goes with Bethea and Reid. All 4 will play together. So no, it's not a wasted pick, it's a defensive concept pick. They want size and coverage ability for the defensive set they will be in the most.

Perfectly stated!
Originally posted by NCommand:

Perfectly stated!

Thank you.

• fryet
  • Veteran

Perfectly stated!

Is there a difference between having a DB play as LB in a Nickel and a Dime defense? Just curious.
[ Edited by fryet on May 4, 2015 at 7:45 AM ]
This may be what the dime/nickel package will look like:

----------- (SAM) Eli Harold (Rushing) ----------- (DT) Darnell Dockett (Rushing) ----------- (DT) Arik Armstead (2-gapping) ----------- (WILL) Aldon Smith (Rushing)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- (MIKE) Navarro Bowman --------------- (Robber) Jaquiski Tartt -------------------------------------------------

(LCB) Tramaine Brock -------------------- (SS) Antoine Bethea ------------------ (FS) Eric Reid ----------------- (Slot) Jimmie Ward ---------------- (RCB) Dontae Johnson

Notes:
AA - will defend against the run, collapse the pocket and take on 2 OL as needed to free up Aldon.
Tank - you can add more interior pass rush by replacing AA with Tank
Johnson - you can play jam-press up at the LOS

Perfectly stated!

Is there a difference between having a DB play as LB in a Nickel and a Dime defense? Just curious.

Not really...the personnel grouping may be the same just that the "assignments" within that personnel grouping may be different.
Has Baalke mentioned Tartt playing Nickel LB? Just curious. I've heard that thrown out a lot, and I'm curious if it's just pure speculation or if they've hinted at it.
*********Dockett**Tank or J.Smith****
****Lynch*******Bowman*********A.Smith
D.Johnson************************Brock***

********Ward**************Tartt*******

*****Betha*********************Reid

I think this defensive alignment would be pretty formidable against the Run or Pass.
Share 49ersWebzone