There are 167 users in the forums

Trade for Justin Blackmon

Shop 49ers game tickets

Trade for Justin Blackmon

He is expected to be reinstated for the upcoming 2015 season, we should know about his eligibility come time for the draft.

This is someone that I believe we can acquire for as low as a 6th rd pick.
Has huge upside, in my opinion would be the best WR on our team.

WR 1: Blackmon
WR 2: Boldin
WR 3: Johnson

Here is a game log from his short, but effective, 2013 season.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14907/justin-blackmon

Anyone who can have 5 catches for 136 yards and a TD, and then follow it up the next week with 14 catches for 190 yards, is no fluke.
He obviously has talent, talent that we are in need of. If he remains a head case we can cut him. Simple as that.
But if he performs, which I think is a high possibility, we would have gotten ourselves a steal.
He is only 25 years old.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by 4everFaithful on Feb 10, 2015 at 1:28 PM ]
i would take him
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yah Aldon needs somebody to party with now that Ray Mac is gone.
Why would jacksonville give up on him so fast?
Originally posted by valrod33:
Why would jacksonville give up on him so fast?

They might not be willing to, but we should attempt to pursue him. I would be willing to give up as high as a 5th rd pick. Maybe even a 4th. Though that is a bit risky, but it can pay off in the long run. Smaller of a risk than it was when we drafted Lattimore in the 4th. There is a good chance JAX will draft Cooper.
[ Edited by 4everFaithful on Feb 10, 2015 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i would take him

Agreed, to be honest I would love for us to pursue him and Gordon, but that's a story for another day.
After what has happened this offseason with Harbaugh being allowed to walk and "winning with class" the phrase of the month, why does anyone on this board think we would trade for a headcase like Blackmon or Josh Gordon? Read the signs, Zoners. Players like this are not on the Niners radar. I may be wrong, but it sure appears the front office isn't actively looking to go down the road of bad PR like we did the past two years.
Originally posted by susweel:
Yah Aldon needs somebody to party with now that Ray Mac is gone.

This guy has been removed from football for a year now, and we assume that he can join this team (learn a new playbook and offense)
Not to mention after that he would then have to beat out Stevie and Boldin on a team that doesn't run many 3 WR sets (we may be now, who knows)
AND EVEN THEN, he would still have to beat out Patton/a rookie we draft this year

All the while he has to stay completely sober and out of trouble?
Not worth it IMO
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
After what has happened this offseason with Harbaugh being allowed to walk and "winning with class" the phrase of the month, why does anyone on this board think we would trade for a headcase like Blackmon or Josh Gordon? Read the signs, Zoners. Players like this are not on the Niners radar. I may be wrong, but it sure appears the front office isn't actively looking to go down the road of bad PR like we did the past two years.

Agree, it's not going to happen. Management is putting a greater emphasis on "winning with class" and bringing in high character players. Blackmon and Gordon don't fit in that category at the moment.

I'd only take one of them as a 4th receiver, minimum salary. They have to earn their way back up. Committing any kind of cash or starting role to these kids is a recipe for disaster. They will let you down, get suspended, and leave your team hanging.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Agree, it's not going to happen. Management is putting a greater emphasis on "winning with class" and bringing in high character players. Blackmon and Gordon don't fit in that category at the moment.

I'd only take one of them as a 4th receiver, minimum salary. They have to earn their way back up. Committing any kind of cash or starting role to these kids is a recipe for disaster. They will let you down, get suspended, and leave your team hanging.

This is all you need to know. We have enough head cases already, no need for more. Just a distraction.
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Agreed, to be honest I would love for us to pursue him and Gordon, but that's a story for another day.

Not one, but two more head cases. Sounds like fun!
Whether you guys like to admit it or not, a lot of the best WRs this league has seen have been head cases, like TO, Moss,Dez, etc. But they help you win games and that's all that matters. All of you preaching about "winning with class" and all that b******t is the exact reason why we haven't had a true game changing #1 WR since Owens. If you want us to remain a mediocre offense with no passing game for the sake of "class" then so be it. Let's keep losing. But at least we''ll be classy...
It's not about winning with class. It's about players you can depend on. How could you possibly depend on a player who knows that one more infraction puts him out of the league for a year and then he goes ahead and does it anyway. That's just plain crazy.

I'm not arguing with you on the talent these guys have. They're obviously incredible receivers and I would be enthusiastic about them if I thought they were dependable, but I don't think they are. Besides, I think that for every head case, there are few equally talented receivers who aren't head cases. Look at the receivers in the NFL today. You can find lots of game-breaking guys who are dependable - Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Demaryius Thomas, Jordy Nelson, T.Y. Hilton, Jeremy Maclin, Randall Cobb, Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green - we can disagree on the relative talent of any of these guys, but I'd love to have any one of them in a Niner uniform and I don't think any of them are what you'd call head cases.
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Whether you guys like to admit it or not, a lot of the best WRs this league has seen have been head cases, like TO, Moss,Dez, etc. But they help you win games and that's all that matters. All of you preaching about "winning with class" and all that b******t is the exact reason why we haven't had a true game changing #1 WR since Owens. If you want us to remain a mediocre offense with no passing game for the sake of "class" then so be it. Let's keep losing. But at least we''ll be classy...

Agree top WRs tend to be head cases, and sometimes you need to take a chance on one. But Blackmon or Gordon is going too far. The difference with these guys is that they've gotten themselves suspended on numerous occasions, resulting in almost 2 years spent away from the game. TO, Moss, Dez, etc...NEVER got themselves in that kind of trouble with the league or with the law.

Blackmon and Gordon have issues that go beyond just being an a*****e. These guys have f**ked up personal lives, and it compromises their eligibility to play the game.
Share 49ersWebzone