LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

What is your ideal Front 7 Rotation?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by NCommand:
There are about 300 different combinations we can run now...soooo...ALL OF THEM!

Exactly.
With this new depth, & that's given Justin Smith comes back the rotation combinations are endless. This will be fun for the coaches. We have a lot of bodies at spots and we could still sign some more FA's you never know.

This! We need to be like water and flow with the situation. Run heavy vs. Pass heavy teams. 3rd and short vs. 3rd and long. Midseason vs. Playoffs. We need to have answers for everything!

I want to see ..
If Cowboy comes back we will have a lot of depth to keep our front 7 fresh

Tank - Dorsey- Cowboy
Lynch -Bowman - Wilhoite -Smith

Dockett- Williams- Armstead
Lynch- Bowman- Brooks - Smith

Just think of all the combinations we could use
Justin will be the Perfect mentor for AA.

I really hope he comes back.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
My ideal rotations:

Base 3-4

RDE -- Justin Smith / Tank Carradine
NT -- Glenn Dorsey / Ian Williams
LDE -- Quinton Dial(Surprise!) / Arik Armstead

ROLB -- Aldon Smith
ILB -- NaVorro Bowman
ILB -- Michael Wilhoite
LOLB -- Ahmad Brooks

Nickel Defense

RDE -- Aldon Smith
DT -- Justin Smith/Tank Carradine
DT -- Darnell Dockett/Arik Armstead
LDE -- Aaron Lynch

LB -- NaVorro Bowman
LB -- Michael Wilhoite (Sub-in Jaquiski Tartt when we go Dime defense)

Comments: Quinton Dial is a surprise starter for me. He looked very stout against the run, which is something I want from that spot. Armstead is the future and will rotate in at times, but right now we start the 3rd year vet. Cowboy continues to get the majority of snaps, but Carradine will rotate in to keep him fresh.

I have Dockett strictly as an interior pass-rusher in Nickel defense. I know we paid him quite a bit of money to come here and is likely to win a starting position, but I'm a little worried about his run defense. He has consistently graded out very negatively against the run per PFF. Not sure if that's due to him, or the scheme in AZ. Possibly both, but I would prefer him as an interior pass-rusher. Just let him shoot the gaps and attack the QB. We play more Nickel than Base anyways. He's still practically a "starter".

I'm hoping we experiment with a little more Dime packages this year. This is where Jaquiski Tartt will factor in, especially against Seattle. I think he was picked with them in mind specifically to counter their addition of Jimmy Graham. Seattle loves their 11 personnel, and it gets even more dangerous with Graham, who is basically a giant WR. We need a hybrid LB/S like Tartt to cover Graham, but also be a factor against the run. Seattle loves to spread defenses thin and pound the rock with Lynch from 11 personnel. I expect to see plenty of Dime defense against Seattle to counter this.

That's exactly what SEA likes to do. In the past, the 49ers have stayed in their base defense to counter SEA's 11 grouping out of fear of the run (in non obvious passing downs). The 49ers lived with the risk of having a safety in coverage on one of the WRs. I'm still hesitant about putting Tartt in as LB to counter SEA though. He might be able to cover Graham better than Bow/Wilhoite, but I doubt he is a better run defender in the box than Wilhoite. The argument to this, is that Graham is a weak run blocker so perhaps it's okay to have a weaker box run defender in the lineup (Tartt).

Sofa, I'm taking your rotation and tweaking it a little because I see it very similar to you. I don't think Dial starting will be a surprise. I think Dockett starting would be the surprise because Dial is a better run defender, and to save Dockett for pass rushing downs. I have TJE beating out Armstead, at least to start the season. Of course, these are all pre pre-season predictions.

Base 3-4
LDE -- Quinton Dial/ TJE

ROLB -- Aldon Smith
ILB -- NaVorro Bowman
ILB -- Michael Wilhoite
LOLB -- Ahmad Brooks

Nickel Defense

RDE -- Aldon Smith
DT -- Darnell Dockett/TJE
LDE -- Aaron Lynch

LB -- NaVorro Bowman
LB -- Michael Wilhoite

Looks solid, thl

Agree on Dial. He will open the year as a starter, Dockett will come in on passing downs. Would not be surprised to see TJE get in the rotation over Armstead. He's been solid and has the technique down. We have great depth on the d-line, so there is no pressure to rush Armstead a long. But I'd love to see him on the field sooner rather than later.

You make a good point with the matchup against Seattle. We don't want to go too small in the box where it prevents us from from stopping Lynch and their ground game. Graham is going to be a key player, but first order of business is to contain Lynch. I'm curious to see what groupings Seattle throws at us, and how we defend it. They could go 3 WR and Graham, OR 2 WR, Graham, and an in-line TE.

You mentioned we used to stick with Base defense in fear of their ground game. I could see us now going to Nickel, with Tartt as the slot CB in place of Ward. That could be what Baalke was referring to when he said Tartt allows us to do certain things that couldn't be done with Ward, and vice versa. One of them plays the slot depending on the matchup.

We'll see how it all plays out, but I'm really excited about the versatility we have this year. I think we can matchup with anybody.
ray rattio @ nose
Killion and Timmy K @ DT
Both Matts coming off the edge
both Cohns to man the middle since they clearly have rock heads

Boom = Super Bowl or bust
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
ray rattio @ nose
Killion and Timmy K @ DT
Both Matts coming off the edge
both Cohns to man the middle since they clearly have rock heads

Boom = Super Bowl or bust

Well done. You're only missing the "F" from the KKFC haters. And Florio calls all the plays and then rips himself after the game, leaks information about his next game plan and then tells the FO to eff off...no wait...just kidding, I love you...no...eff off!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Dorsey - Ian - Justin

Lynch - Brooks - Bowman - Aldon

I like Dorsey inside rotating with Ian, Docket on the outside, with Tank and Arik Rotating so that they can all out.
my front 7 would rotate
Originally posted by thl408:
My ideal rotations:

Base 3-4

LDE -- Quinton Dial(Surprise!) / Arik Armstead

ROLB -- Aldon Smith
ILB -- NaVorro Bowman
ILB -- Michael Wilhoite
LOLB -- Ahmad Brooks

Nickel Defense

RDE -- Aldon Smith
DT -- Darnell Dockett/Arik Armstead
LDE -- Aaron Lynch

LB -- NaVorro Bowman
LB -- Michael Wilhoite (Sub-in Jaquiski Tartt when we go Dime defense)

Comments: Quinton Dial is a surprise starter for me. He looked very stout against the run, which is something I want from that spot. Armstead is the future and will rotate in at times, but right now we start the 3rd year vet. Cowboy continues to get the majority of snaps, but Carradine will rotate in to keep him fresh.

I have Dockett strictly as an interior pass-rusher in Nickel defense. I know we paid him quite a bit of money to come here and is likely to win a starting position, but I'm a little worried about his run defense. He has consistently graded out very negatively against the run per PFF. Not sure if that's due to him, or the scheme in AZ. Possibly both, but I would prefer him as an interior pass-rusher. Just let him shoot the gaps and attack the QB. We play more Nickel than Base anyways. He's still practically a "starter".

I'm hoping we experiment with a little more Dime packages this year. This is where Jaquiski Tartt will factor in, especially against Seattle. I think he was picked with them in mind specifically to counter their addition of Jimmy Graham. Seattle loves their 11 personnel, and it gets even more dangerous with Graham, who is basically a giant WR. We need a hybrid LB/S like Tartt to cover Graham, but also be a factor against the run. Seattle loves to spread defenses thin and pound the rock with Lynch from 11 personnel. I expect to see plenty of Dime defense against Seattle to counter this.

That's exactly what SEA likes to do. In the past, the 49ers have stayed in their base defense to counter SEA's 11 grouping out of fear of the run (in non obvious passing downs). The 49ers lived with the risk of having a safety in coverage on one of the WRs. I'm still hesitant about putting Tartt in as LB to counter SEA though. He might be able to cover Graham better than Bow/Wilhoite, but I doubt he is a better run defender in the box than Wilhoite. The argument to this, is that Graham is a weak run blocker so perhaps it's okay to have a weaker box run defender in the lineup (Tartt).

Sofa, I'm taking your rotation and tweaking it a little because I see it very similar to you. I don't think Dial starting will be a surprise. I think Dockett starting would be the surprise because Dial is a better run defender, and to save Dockett for pass rushing downs. I have TJE beating out Armstead, at least to start the season. Of course, these are all pre pre-season predictions.

Base 3-4
LDE -- Quinton Dial/ TJE

ROLB -- Aldon Smith
ILB -- NaVorro Bowman
ILB -- Michael Wilhoite
LOLB -- Ahmad Brooks

Nickel Defense

RDE -- Aldon Smith
DT -- Darnell Dockett/TJE
LDE -- Aaron Lynch

LB -- NaVorro Bowman
LB -- Michael Wilhoite

Looks solid, thl

Agree on Dial. He will open the year as a starter, Dockett will come in on passing downs. Would not be surprised to see TJE get in the rotation over Armstead. He's been solid and has the technique down. We have great depth on the d-line, so there is no pressure to rush Armstead a long. But I'd love to see him on the field sooner rather than later.

You make a good point with the matchup against Seattle. We don't want to go too small in the box where it prevents us from from stopping Lynch and their ground game. Graham is going to be a key player, but first order of business is to contain Lynch. I'm curious to see what groupings Seattle throws at us, and how we defend it. They could go 3 WR and Graham, OR 2 WR, Graham, and an in-line TE.

You mentioned we used to stick with Base defense in fear of their ground game. I could see us now going to Nickel, with Tartt as the slot CB in place of Ward. That could be what Baalke was referring to when he said Tartt allows us to do certain things that couldn't be done with Ward, and vice versa. One of them plays the slot depending on the matchup.

We'll see how it all plays out, but I'm really excited about the versatility we have this year. I think we can matchup with anybody.

Best posts of the day! Well done guys. Dial is a BADASS. He is going to have a monster year thanks to all those snaps he got at NT last year at 6'6". Learning that leverage (now automatic) and going back to his natural position of LDE? He's going to dominant. Don't be surprised if Brooks/Lynch's sack totals go up this year. Dial is a VERY hard worker and very driven.

The good thing about the DIME packages is that those are typically passing downs used to counter multiple WR sets. And, at least from the highlight, the way Tartt tracks, squares and blows players up, I'm not too worried about his ability to ability to tackle a RB on a delayed draw or screen pass. It's a great point though. Will he be able to pay off blocks better than Wilhoite?

That base defense you have thl...with Justin...is stout! If Dorsey is back to form, that is one hell of a run-stuffing unit. The front 4 of the nickel isn't even fair. 4 proven pass rushes alone plus you still have Carradine (excellent inside rusher) and Harold...and Brooks.

Playing Seattle, if you get Armstead in there as well, Wilson won't be able to see over all those tall trees running at him (AA, Dial, Dockett, Lynch, Tank, etc.). The shortest guy we have is our two NT's at 6'1." Screw it...just put in the 6'8" 380 pound Trenton Brown at NT!! Doooo it!
Originally posted by Kuya:
Aldon Bowman Brooks Lynch
Harold Wilhoite Wilhoite Harold

Smith Williams Dockett
Tank Dorsey Armstead

(Top rows are starters, the row beneath them is the depth)

I like that front 7 rotation actually. I assume 5 of the 6 DL are active on game days, as we usually only dress 5 DL, and since Dorsey can play End and NT we would be fine. Now if Justin retires, then Armstead might get thrown to the wolves so to speak early on.

I think Bellore is active on game days as our ST Ace.

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol Ahmad Brooks sucks as a pure pass rushing OLB. What makes you think hes going to be able to move inside with real responsibilities and stay disciplined?

Our BEST front 7 would be Dockett, Justin Smith, Williams, and Dorsey up front, and Aldon, Lynch, and Bowman at LB.

Ultimately, were going to run more plays out of our base 3-4, so while I think hes average, I would still prefer Wilhoite be on the field at ILB than Brooks.

lol

Brooks has real responsibilities over on that edge you know.. he isn't in the game because he ran rush the passer, that's gravy. he's in the game because he sets the edge and stays at home. ever wonder why teams don't even try and run reverses or bootlegs on us at all to either side? him and aldon is why

Originally posted by NCommand:
Best posts of the day! Well done guys. Dial is a BADASS. He is going to have a monster year thanks to all those snaps he got at NT last year at 6'6". Learning that leverage (now automatic) and going back to his natural position of LDE? He's going to dominant. Don't be surprised if Brooks/Lynch's sack totals go up this year. Dial is a VERY hard worker and very driven.

The good thing about the DIME packages is that those are typically passing downs used to counter multiple WR sets. And, at least from the highlight, the way Tartt tracks, squares and blows players up, I'm not too worried about his ability to ability to tackle a RB on a delayed draw or screen pass. It's a great point though. Will he be able to pay off blocks better than Wilhoite?

That base defense you have thl...with Justin...is stout! If Dorsey is back to form, that is one hell of a run-stuffing unit. The front 4 of the nickel isn't even fair. 4 proven pass rushes alone plus you still have Carradine (excellent inside rusher) and Harold...and Brooks.

Playing Seattle, if you get Armstead in there as well, Wilson won't be able to see over all those tall trees running at him (AA, Dial, Dockett, Lynch, Tank, etc.). The shortest guy we have is our two NT's at 6'1." Screw it...just put in the 6'8" 380 pound Trenton Brown at NT!! Doooo it!

Yesss! Our perhaps another mammoth of a man smashing up the middle.... do I really need to say it? Yes.

OKOYEEEEE!!!
RDE - Justin Smith/ Tank /. TJE
NT - Ian/Drosey
LDE- Dial/Dockett/Armstead

Rolb- Aldon/Harold
Jack- Wilhoite
Mike- Bo'
Lolb- Lynch/ Brooks

Nickel
Rde- Aldon
Dt- Cowboy
Dt- Tank
Lde- Lynch

LB- Bowman
Lb- WIlhoite
Originally posted by Kuya:
Aldon Bowman Brooks Lynch
Harold Wilhoite Wilhoite Harold

Smith Williams Dockett
Tank Dorsey Armstead

(Top rows are starters, the row beneath them is the depth)

Williams over Dorsey? No way if Dorsey is healthy. He was a beast in our defense before he got hurt.
  • thl408
Wow TJE sucked hard according to PFF. The reason I thought he'd get playing time is because Tomsula mentioned him twice during one of his first interviews after being named HC and praised TJE. I think he's okay in a rotational role. He is the last guy on the depth chart will have to hold off Armstead and Ramsey for an active roster spot. Thanks for posting those charts.
Share 49ersWebzone