LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't believe in Wilhoite as a legit starter.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm not sold on Wilhoite by any means as far as being the long term answer at ILB but I do think he's serviceable next to a great player like Bow.
He's serviceable until a long term option is found.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
i just worry we'll sign him to a contract that might not give us incentive to replace him...a contract that keeps him around even if he isn't playing consistent.

kind of like the situation we put ouselves in with Colt McCoy...and did the same dumb s**t with Blame Gabbert.

i don't hate the guy, and I appreciate that he came through for us last year when we needed someone to step in....but that is where I think he would be useful....to step in. that being said..hopefully he seases this opportunity and doesn't look back.

When have we ever made bad business deals. Our contracts are easily voided to where we can move on from players. Even with Kap
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Peyton ripped Wilhoite and Borland apart.

Once Harbaugh saw that he quit right there.

Peyton also benefitted from not having to deal with the Aldon Smith his brother had to deal with two weeks later
Wilhoite is good enough for now. We've had enough turnover already.
lets see how he plays this season with the mind set of being a starting inside linebacker
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mr_P:
it is what it is. ill continue to root for him and hope he continues improving with bowman by his side.

Well I guess I like him a bit more now..lookalike he will put the work in.let's see him bust out this year
Let's put it this way. Borland was better than every ILB in this draft and Wilhoite beat him out for the starting job at the beginning of the season. Borland wouldn't even have got on the field if Willis didn't go down.
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
ur not the only one, i see him as average at best. that's not gonna cut it in our division. i really hope Bowman moves to ILB, because i have more faith in a fat bowman at ILB than Wilhoite.
Isn't Phillip weever competing for wilhoites spot?

Originally posted by fister30:
Isn't Phillip weever competing for wilhoites spot?

He was horrible in Miami playing ILB I believe. I'm not counting on him or Bishop to play much.

I really wish we went ILB in rd 3 instead of Harold, Dawson was there, we could have had him. I love the Harold pick though, But we needed an ILB badly.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
He was horrible in Miami playing ILB I believe. I'm not counting on him or Bishop to play much.

I really wish we went ILB in rd 3 instead of Harold, Dawson was there, we could have had him. I love the Harold pick though, But we needed an ILB badly.

Well you heard Trent say we followed the board and Harold was clearly a rd two prospect on our board while Dawson likely wasn't on our board so we went with Harold. In keeping with what we've done we've essentially future proofed Brook's exit if and when it occurs
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Wihoite is a backup called upon to start. We'll be looking for a replacement as early as next year.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Yup. I'm also not sure why we didn't draft an ILB. or even sign one of the UD ILB...
just because you are interested in signing one it doesnt mean that the candidate will accept your offer. Think about that.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Seems likely they'll move Brooks inside and ask him to be the 2-down thumper.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I hear you, Afrikan. I'm not sold on Wilhoite either as the long term starter at that spot.

I think he's serviceable as a 2-down player, not all 3 downs like we were forced to do last year. Once Willis and Borland went down, you're in trouble if Wilhoite is your top ILB.

For this year, I expect Wilhoite to be off the field on 3rd downs and passing situations. Tartt will sub-in and be a hybrid LB/S.

Both of these, you don't replace a Willis, and there was none in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone