There are 155 users in the forums

Are you happy with the draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with the draft?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I feel like there isn't much to add based on what previous posters have said. I preferred a NT that could command double teams in the first and am not on board with the Armstead pick, but I get the front office's perspective. The talent is clearly there. Tartt is possible insurance for Eric Reid and should definitely push Craig Dahl of the door. The 3rd and 4th round picks were home runs. The punter has to beat out Lee to justify that pick and save us the cap space we'd get from cutting/trading Lee. The 6th round guard (I'm assuming he will play guard) gives us some needed depth. Overall, I'd say an B+/A-.

i also think we have improved our special teams coverage with some of the kids we signed and the three free agent linebackers we have signed.. now if we can get the punt and kick return thing squared away, we are set
I've NEVER been happy until I learn more about the players after the draft.

The first impression has always been "Why?"

Then after a number of Zoners like Phoenix, NCommand, CCiowa and other write about elements of the players that I had no idea about - my opinion changes.

So until then - I'm not satisfied but patiently waiting.

BTW, almost everyone panned the Lynch pick last year and he turned out pretty go so far.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by cciowa:
The guy we just got from Florida is a monster OT with vines for arms but who's also surprisingly athletic.
staley is a war horse but you really have to like the youth we have on that line. our depth will be sooo much better than last year,

Definitely had to get younger and add depth to the line. I really like this Trenton Brown pick; there's a lot to work with there.
those first three picks added some much needed youth into the defense. at some point in time,, you MUST infuse youth into the defense,, we did not back in the mid 90's and it cost us
Offensive guard Trenton Brown (6-8 5/8, 353) had a 28-inch vertical jump and 8-foot-10 broad jump. Brown has 35 1/2-inch arms. He had a really good pro-day workout in front of those nine NFL offensive line coaches present in Gainesville. Brown moves well for a guy his size (he ran a 5.29-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine). Brown really helped his draft status. ~NFL.com
The draft wasn't amazing, but I don't really hate any of the picks like I have in years past. I can understand why everyone was taken where they were, and I like redshirting the WR.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I've NEVER been happy until I learn more about the players after the draft.

The first impression has always been "Why?"

Then after a number of Zoners like Phoenix, NCommand, CCiowa and other write about elements of the players that I had no idea about - my opinion changes.

So until then - I'm not satisfied but patiently waiting.

BTW, almost everyone panned the Lynch pick last year and he turned out pretty go so far.
first off wally,,,, DO NOT put me in the good smart company with nc and phoenix. i really know s**t about the x and o of football,, i know s**t about college football.. i just look at the player,, look at their history, try to see how they fit with us and the reasoning behind it. i may not know anything about our first three picks,, but i know they were taken for a reason either now or in the future. i like how this regime is forward thinking. i totally get the safety pick. erics head, betheas age , and dahl really make that a wise pick for this year and for the future. overall i just try to have a open mind about players and coaches new to our team. what they did before us means nothing to them and i will not hate till they give me a reason to. oh i said WHY about that safety pick and then in 15 minutes i totally understood..... i really said WHY about that punter pick and still am, but you know that is not going to keep me up nights and while it gives ammo to alleged niner fans who already hate the front office and team,,,, it is not a franchise killer and who knows,, maybe he will be out lee fair and square. if he does that is good for our team. someone said he could do kickoffs resting dawson but i do not know that for sure
i like our first round pick and i love kilgore at center,,, but overall your post is spot on. that damn multi tasker tight end guy may be a real gem for us!

Baalke seems to have always favored versatile players. I love the upside there.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xtm059:
The draft wasn't amazing, but I don't really hate any of the picks like I have in years past. I can understand why everyone was taken where they were, and I like redshirting the WR.

maybe the kid will play a bit in december and hopefully january? we did not have a glaring need there and this was a great pick. got boldins replacement and he can learn from one of the best. we got two solid starters, we got two kids we need to play,, thanks jh/roman,, and anything we get from simpson is just gravy. trent said early,,, where would you find room to play everyone if you got a wide out at number one.. that would just retard the development of the two kids we have whom we HAVE to find out what they can do. the former coaches did not or could not do that,, so its up to our new regime
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Offensive guard Trenton Brown (6-8 5/8, 353) had a 28-inch vertical jump and 8-foot-10 broad jump. Brown has 35 1/2-inch arms. He had a really good pro-day workout in front of those nine NFL offensive line coaches present in Gainesville. Brown moves well for a guy his size (he ran a 5.29-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine). Brown really helped his draft status. ~NFL.com

good. i like our current batch of o line guys but we needed to add someone, a wise pick and sounds like very very good value late., thank you fred for your knowledge, you are a tribute to the entire human race
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
i like our first round pick and i love kilgore at center,,, but overall your post is spot on. that damn multi tasker tight end guy may be a real gem for us!

Baalke seems to have always favored versatile players. I love the upside there.

me to. jesus the man could be the white verson of okoye actually a better verson of tebow i think. also of all the blather coming out of the haters mouths in the last 72 hours,, it is nice not to have to hear them froth at the mouth WIN WITH CLASS,, i think all these kids we drafted are good people and good workers. there have been some real horror stories of some guys that were drafted this year.. what did i hear about one guy maybe dallas took?? he is demanding he have body guards? maybe i did not read it right but the point is,,, we good a bunch of good kids, we addressed some l short term and long term needs and i just can not wait till we assemble everyone down the road.. how one can not be excited at this time of the year is beyond me

Originally posted by Crown:
generally like.
i can live with Armstead.
Puzzled by the P

other than than i am content

This.

I like the idea of a badass punter that'll flip the field every time and played two years at QB before converting to P for some ST trickery at the 5th. But this guy seems underwhelming..
we drafted 0 corners. why?
Originally posted by xtm059:

maybe the kid will play a bit in december and hopefully january? we did not have a glaring need there and this was a great pick. got boldins replacement and he can learn from one of the best. we got two solid starters, we got two kids we need to play,, thanks jh/roman,, and anything we get from simpson is just gravy. trent said early,,, where would you find room to play everyone if you got a wide out at number one.. that would just retard the development of the two kids we have whom we HAVE to find out what they can do. the former coaches did not or could not do that,, so its up to our new regime

yeah i agree completely, plus there's someone up to redeem #15
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
we drafted 0 corners. why?

thought we would to but maybe they are ok with who we got. i think brock will be a good starter for us. we got some kids and a couple of vets to mix it up plus ward. i am comforted by the fact we have a very very good defensive secondary coach and i think we have taken steps to have a good pass rush this year. the cornerback thing was sort of like the wide out thing for me. it was not a GLARING thing but sure did think they would have added a body. maybe that is to come with the un drafted players list they will put together in the next 24 hours?

good. i like our current batch of o line guys but we needed to add someone, a wise pick and sounds like very very good value late., thank you fred for your knowledge, you are a tribute to the entire human race

Share 49ersWebzone