LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Do you guys see the trend?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
AB, thanks for the reminder that we need to wait a couple yrs to really evaluate a draft. And altho i haven't given a grade yet, i am hoping for a B.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Not to bash Baalke, but 2010 wasn't all his draft, remember McCloughan was their up until 1 month before the draft.

And if you do want to give Baake credit for 2010, then thats when he drafted Kyle Williams, who was a terrible WR and Returner.

The draft is never all the property of one person, but Baalke was in charge of the 2010 draft. The person in charge bears the responsibility.

Baalke is responsible for each and every player, good or bad, taken in the 2010 draft, and his subsequent drafts.

The players taken in the 2010 draft were:

Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Taylor Mays
Navorro Bowman
Anthony Dixon
Nate Byham
Kyle Williams
Phillip Adams

Each and every one of those players was a Baalke pick.

No cherry picking allowed.

He also was the Head of Personnel which means he put the board together WITH McDrunk...so the transition was seamless and like you noted, 100% his responsibility and picks. And he did great.
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Butter:
Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest

I wanted Kevin Johnson as well but long-term, DE is a bigger need. It takes time to develop DL's, both Baalke and Tomsula have made that a point of emphasis. Justin Smith is either retired or retiring in a season, Dockett is 34, coming off an ACL tear, TJE will be a free agent, Dorsey will be a free agent, also coming off a season ending injury. I'm far more comfortable with the team going with Brock, Johnson, Acker, Reaser, Wright, Ward and Cook at CB this season than I would be with Dial and Carradine as potentially the only options at DE next season.

This year Armstead gets to develop, get some snaps, next year I'd expect him to be a starter. Long term, Carradine and Armstead as the DE's, Dial as a high quality backup with hopefully Dorsey or Williams sticking around at NT and a young player drafted to develop at that position.

Agreed. And something to always keep in mind is that a great front seven and a great pass rush can mask a lot of problems in the secondary. Even though the league has an emphasis on passing and scoring, I still believe that the best way to build a team is from the trenches out on both sides of the ball.

Outstanding perspectives. Even more funny that we were tied with NE for the most draft trades with 18 coming in (20 now) and right after we picked a P/PK the Patriots selected a long snapper. Any bets the NE fans didn't b***h like here in NT?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Outstanding perspectives. Even more funny that we were tied with NE for the most draft trades with 18 coming in (20 now) and right after we picked a P/PK the Patriots selected a long snapper. Any bets the NE fans didn't b***h like here in NT?

There are a few in their ranks that don't think BB is a very good draft guy. He coincidentally has also had difficulty drafting then developing wr's.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on May 3, 2015 at 8:27 PM ]
Originally posted by kray28:
The trend is that Trent Baalke is probably the worst GM in the NFL (when it comes to talent evaluation).

This is the only trend I see.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
The trend is that Trent Baalke is probably the worst GM in the NFL (when it comes to talent evaluation).

yes, you and all your draft experts at your draft party, lol, still getting over that one
Originally posted by cciowa:

yes, you and all your draft experts at your draft party, lol, still getting over that one

I'm not even lying about that. I saw guys in suits sitting at tables with laptops and papers in their hands, and most of the time when we selected they had to flip pages and even google these players. Us Niner fans couldn't even celebrate the picks.
Too many of the people here would rather see Baalke playing checkers with the scrub teams of the league than chess with the Belichicks.

Rather than shooting down every draft pick because it's not 100% evident that they'll be all-pros, take a second to realize that the draft is a crap shoot and even the best of the best GMs have about a 50% hit rate. Maybe I'm just a glass half full type of guy.

That being said, I think the team is going into camp with a TON of competition within each position. WR was a place I would have like then to address in round 1 or 2. However, with Justin and Dockett out the door after this season most likely, DL would be a glaring hole next year without Armstead.

I also think that had DGB been there, we would have got him in round 2. We're mainly in 2 wr sets, so it wasn't as big of a need in my eyes. Smelter and Anderson are our Boldin-to-be's so I can't complain about the wr projects of the year.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with our haul and can't wait to see them in action!
The trend is Baalke being too cute and reaching on early draft picks.
Originally posted by kwest49er:
Too many of the people here would rather see Baalke playing checkers with the scrub teams of the league than chess with the Belichicks.

Rather than shooting down every draft pick because it's not 100% evident that they'll be all-pros, take a second to realize that the draft is a crap shoot and even the best of the best GMs have about a 50% hit rate. Maybe I'm just a glass half full type of guy.

That being said, I think the team is going into camp with a TON of competition within each position. WR was a place I would have like then to address in round 1 or 2. However, with Justin and Dockett out the door after this season most likely, DL would be a glaring hole next year without Armstead.

I also think that had DGB been there, we would have got him in round 2. We're mainly in 2 wr sets, so it wasn't as big of a need in my eyes. Smelter and Anderson are our Boldin-to-be's so I can't complain about the wr projects of the year.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with our haul and can't wait to see them in action!

Well stated!

Originally posted by KingSol:
The trend is Baalke being too cute and reaching on early draft picks.

All depends on WHICH draft board you use, huh?
Originally posted by cciowa:

I'm not even lying about that. I saw guys in suits sitting at tables with laptops and papers in their hands, and most of the time when we selected they had to flip pages and even google these players. Us Niner fans couldn't even celebrate the picks.

LOL. The trend of SuicidePosters?

BTW: If they had to Google players, chances are they don't know ish.
Share 49ersWebzone