LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Do you guys see the trend?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'd like to go on record saying I love this draft and the type of players they are drafting both physically and mentally. There is a huge leadership void coming up in the next few years. This draft is about the next generation Niners. It's a draft for the inevitable transition.

People don't realize but you pay a huge premium for nfl ready prospects. If you can develop talent, you are better drafting raw players you can develop. That's how you win.

Thank God Baalke has a vision for this team, this year and into the future. Time to reload.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on May 2, 2015 at 1:16 PM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by titan:
So the trend is Raw Future Leaders! Sounds like a terrible draft and we hope they turn out to be starters.

pay attention. Armstead will be on the field this year disrupting things.
Tartt will be on the field this year matched up with tight ends that think they're wide receivers
harold will be on the field this year in a nasty rotation of pass rushers.

they just don't need to start. maybe people aren't understanding that they feel good about our starters and don't think we need someone to come in and save us because we're pretty darn good across the board with what we have.

depth is the only reason we went 8-8 last year and not 2-14

Our backups playing starter and some of our starter playing like backups is the reason why we were 8-8. There is no way this is a 2-14 team. In the draft you need to look for the next big thing, not the next best backup. I know for a fact a lot of fans don't understand why they feel good and why they are satisfied with the starters across the board. I could definitely pick several positions that could improve.
I like how we're already going to fail when we haven't even see our new players take the friggin' field for minicamps yet. Come on, folks...
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I mean if they are tanking the next season, maybe Kap should ask for a trade right now before he gets killed. Sounds like he's being set up to fail by this s**t for brains front office.

Yeah I know right. Going out and getting him a legit deep threat WR, a good, versatile, game breaking RB he can dump the ball off to, drafting 2 highly touted OL and best RB in draft last year, going and grabbing another TE, RB and WR today...Setting him up to fail indeed.

Sorry, I don't live in this alternate reality you clearly inhabit.

So the FO didn't do any of those things i mentioned?
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on May 2, 2015 at 1:27 PM ]
Originally posted by pd24:
Each and every draft pick so far has been a very high character guy that is extremely athletic but kind of raw, except the running back Davis. Davis has high character but isn't raw.

I think this draft is about getting future leaders and tone setters in place with the loss of Gore, Willis, and possibly Justin Smith. We don't have many leaders and high character guys left outside of Staley, Kap, Bowman. Vernon is probably gone in a year. Reid is one but his health is a concern. I like the idea, get a leadership group in place and then later on you can take risks.

I feel like the draft strategy this year is "let's draft to have the best special teams units next year!"
Trend Baalke
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I mean if they are tanking the next season, maybe Kap should ask for a trade right now before he gets killed. Sounds like he's being set up to fail by this s**t for brains front office.

Yeah I know right. Going out and getting him a legit deep threat WR, a good, versatile, game breaking RB he can dump the ball off to, drafting 2 highly touted OL and best RB in draft last year, going and grabbing another TE, RB and WR today...Setting him up to fail indeed.

Sorry, I don't live in this alternate reality you clearly inhabit.

So the FO didn't do any of those things i mentioned?

In this draft, no they did not. Last draft, they didn't either. Who's the "game breaking RB"? Hyde? Okay, I think the jury's still out on that. He broke no games last year though. Who's the "legit deep threat WR"? Baalke is still trying to find one of those. So far...no luck. OL? LMAO....last year's line had Kap running for dear life.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Trends I see:

-None of the picks will contribute this season
-All seem to be developmental projects
-Baalke would rather address the back up punter situation that the ILB or CB situation

CB was addressed 3 times last year in the draft. Shareece Wright was brought in and Chris Cook resigned. Outside of drafting a "redshirt" CB, where is there an open spot at the position, especially with a day 2 or 3 pick?

ILB, though, is another story. This is a very thin class there though, with every one of the top guys having big question marks and limitations. We do have 2 solid starters (if Bow can return to form).
  • kray28
  • Veteran
LOL @ Shareece Wright. I'm an USC fan, and I will tell you that Wright is a bust.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Watching the front office effectively sabotage last season...and this one by extension...just to correct that makes me think otherwise. The collateral damage of their inability to work amicably with Harbaugh will be huge. The worst is yet to come.

I don't think the problem is Harbaugh...the problem is the out of control hubris in this front office.

Don't worry..it will all be exposed in due time.

kray let's just take a bet ... if the 49ers do well this coming season you don't post until after the bye. If they're terrible, I won't post until after the bye.

No bet. I post what I post...right or wrong. I'd love to be wrong in this case, but am pretty confident I am not. When or how I post will never be up for you to decide.

LOL @ Shareece Wright. I'm an USC fan, and I will tell you that Wright is a bust.

Well fortunately guys like Dontae Johnson and Chris Cook are there as well as Reiser and Acker. If he is a bust then surely one of these guys will beat him out for a starting spot.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'd like to go on record saying I love this draft and the type of players they are drafting both physically and mentally. There is a huge leadership void coming up in the next few years. This draft is about the next generation Niners. It's a draft for the inevitable transition.

People don't realize but you pay a huge premium for nfl ready prospects. If you can develop talent, you are better drafting raw players you can develop. That's how you win.

Thank God Baalke has a vision for this team, this year and into the future. Time to reload.

This is the "art" part of the draft. Getting a player and making them better as a result of your coaching, how you play them in your system, etc. Quite honestly, I think what you described is the one of the few ways to get ahead in today's NFL.

Maybe so. I don't consider Wright one of the guys I am counting on at CN this season, but I am looking forward to what the guys we drafted last year can contribute in year two (Johnson) or their redshirt rookie season (Acker and Reaser).

I think the only real criticism I have for Baalke's draft/FA moves is that we still need someone else at ILB (draft isn't over yet) and I can't wrap my mind around drafting a punter in the 5th.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Trends I see:

-None of the picks will contribute this season
-All seem to be developmental projects
-Baalke would rather address the back up punter situation that the ILB or CB situation

Problem is you should never draft a project in rd 1, and especially at 17, he should be ready to compete and help from day 1.

This draft is so confusing, I just don't get it.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is the "art" part of the draft. Getting a player and making them better as a result of your coaching, how you play them in your system, etc. Quite honestly, I think what you described is the one of the few ways to get ahead in today's NFL.

Maybe so. I don't consider Wright one of the guys I am counting on at CN this season, but I am looking forward to what the guys we drafted last year can contribute in year two (Johnson) or their redshirt rookie season (Acker and Reaser).

I think the only real criticism I have for Baalke's draft/FA moves is that we still need someone else at ILB (draft isn't over yet) and I can't wrap my mind around drafting a punter in the 5th.

maybe Lance Briggs is the option after May 12 and just wait until next year to spend a high pick on ILB since class wasn't great this year.
The hyperbole in this thread is amazing! Ask yourself two questions :

1. Who could we should we have drafted that would start THIS season?

2. Looking down the road, who will we be / could be losing and will need to replace?
Share 49ersWebzone