LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

The Book of Eli Harold is closed!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9moon:
Well, maybe, just maybe, Tomsula can now implement his Giant version of Speed Four when it comes to those obvious passing downs or situations..

Remember how the Giants used to use 4 DE in order to rush the passer, and they were very successful against Brady and the Patriots..

LE - Aldon Smith

DT - Eli

DT - Lynch

DE - Brooks

I think Aldon or Brooks are more likely to move inside than Harold and his 245 pounds. Brooks and Aldon have rushed from DT spots in previous seasons. I wouldn't sleep on Tank, either. It's not a bad idea to have a bigger body on the field just in case, and he can still get after it. Aldon, Harols, Brooks, Lynch can rotate their spots while AA and Tank can rotate as the big body (don't sleep on AA's bulrush potential: length and pad level can work together to create impressive leverage). Lots of fresh pegs coming after that QB.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
There isn't a good chance of that happening...what's wrong with MW? He started all last year and took Bowman's role. He will go back to more of his natural spot this season which is up closer to the line. Tartt will come in during nickle/dime packages for him to cover TEs and RBs. We already have our 3-down pro-bowl ILB.

Eli is a OLB with pass rush skills, he doesn't shedding blockers well at this point. He get's after the QB and you can never have enough of that.

I agree that Willhoite is fine as a starter. He did very well alongside Bowman in 2013, and his weakness in coverage wasn't really exposed last year until Willis went down and he was playing next to the quitter. That said, he only has ever played the Strongside OLB position. When he played with Willis last year, Willis moved over to the weak side position that he played before Bowman became a starter, and Willhoite played strong side, just like he did when he paired with Bowman in 2013.

yup I agree he is best suited as a strong side LB. He is fine at shedding blockers and going after the RB....it will be interesting to see what they do with Tartt.
Well, maybe, just maybe, Tomsula can now implement his Giant version of Speed Four when it comes to those obvious passing downs or situations..

Remember how the Giants used to use 4 DE in order to rush the passer, and they were very successful against Brady and the Patriots..

LE - Aldon Smith

DT - Eli

DT - Lynch

DE - Brooks
That kid would get swallowed up as an interior pass rusher.

LE - Aldon Smith

DT - Eli

DT - Lynch

DE - Brooks

pretty sure all those DEs for the Giants were like 6-5 270 (Osi was 6-3 260 and Canty was 6-7 317)

Eli is a little light for a DT lol

LE - Aldon Smith

DT - Eli

DT - Lynch

DE - Brooks

pretty sure all those DEs for the Giants were like 6-5 270 (Osi was 6-3 260 and Canty was 6-7 317)

agreed, aldon would probably move in. Aldon has experience in the middle and can take on a G no problem. Harold would be better suited using his speed on the edge

LE - Aldon Smith

DT - Eli

DT - Lynch

DE - Brooks

Would replace him with the best DL, Justin/Dockett/Carradine in that setting, and I think that would be a very successful front.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 11, 2015 at 12:54 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Harold would be our version of Justin Tuck.. tho underweight, we want him inside (DT) so that he can use his speed to beat the OG or Center.

I think putting Aldon or even Tank inside would just slow them down because both likes rushing the passer when lined up wide..

LE - Aldon Smith

DT - Eli

DT - Lynch

DE - Brooks

Umm...Giants had guys like Osy and Tuck (in their prime) playing either DE or DT, not some 250 LB guys lol.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:

LE - Aldon Smith

DT - Eli

DT - Lynch

DE - Brooks

Umm...Giants had guys like Osy and Tuck (in their prime) playing either DE or DT, not some 250 LB guys lol.

The only person under 265 on that list is harold lol. aldon and brooks are 270, lynch bulked up quite a bit and is atleast 265.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

LE - Aldon Smith

DT - Eli

DT - Lynch

DE - Brooks

I think Aldon or Brooks are more likely to move inside than Harold and his 245 pounds. Brooks and Aldon have rushed from DT spots in previous seasons. I wouldn't sleep on Tank, either. It's not a bad idea to have a bigger body on the field just in case, and he can still get after it. Aldon, Harols, Brooks, Lynch can rotate their spots while AA and Tank can rotate as the big body (don't sleep on AA's bulrush potential: length and pad level can work together to create impressive leverage). Lots of fresh pegs coming after that QB.

I hope one or all of these guys can get a nice angle on wilson this year a couple times a game!

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Don't worry, I strongly feel that the one of the reason why Tartt was drafted is because we may be going to that special 4-2-5 defense where a SPY (Ward or Tartt) will be shadowing Wilson.

Lets just hope that those freakin zebras wont be calling stupid penalty like they did last year on Moody tho he hit Wilson nice and clean..
Don't worry, I strongly feel that the one of the reason why Tartt was drafted is because we may be going to that special 4-2-5 defense where a SPY (Ward or Tartt) will be shadowing Wilson.

Lets just hope that those freakin zebras wont be calling stupid penalty like they did last year on Moody tho he hit Wilson nice and clean..

Whose the NFL commissioner again , oh yeah pretty sure we'll get f**ked over.
Harold would be our version of Justin Tuck.. tho underweight, we want him inside (DT) so that he can use his speed to beat the OG or Center.

I think putting Aldon or even Tank inside would just slow them down because both likes rushing the passer when lined up wide..

Eli's narrow ass would get eaten up alive playing DT in any formation (tuck played at 270+).

Aldon played DT at Mizz when they played nickel and displayed great PR ability from that spot.

tank is an unfinished product but has displayed good up field burst, his strength is still developing and imo he shouldn't have too many problems moving forward.

Pass rush isnt just about speed or lining up wide
Word today in camp is that this kid is bossing people.

He beat Staley and the only rookie to ever beat staley was Aldon. He also made some other nice moves and was the best OLB out there over Brooks and Lemoncar.

But only cause Aldon and Lynch didn't practice.

Link on home page about the OTA.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 5, 2015 at 6:27 PM ]
Haha had to bring some levity to the zone...
Share 49ersWebzone