LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

The Book of Eli Harold is closed!

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think/hope that Eli Harold is going to be a pleasant surprise in this new regime and scheme. I think he is a perfect fit as an attacking SAM OLB in this 4-3 defense ala Bruce Irvin. Is he as good as Irvin? No, but I think he could be a very effective player and can get 5-8 sacks from that position. He is still a very young, raw player (just turned 23) and while he wasn't very good for most of the season last year as a starting 3-4 OLB, he did finish pretty decent as he had 3 sacks in the last 5 games and improved versus the run and was pretty solid in pass coverage all year. Now, I could be totally wrong and it wouldn't shock me if Harold is cut as well, but I think he has a future with this team and in this scheme.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I think/hope that Eli Harold is going to be a pleasant surprise in this new regime and scheme. I think he is a perfect fit as an attacking SAM OLB in this 4-3 defense ala Bruce Irvin. Is he as good as Irvin? No, but I think he could be a very effective player and can get 5-8 sacks from that position. He is still a very young, raw player (just turned 23) and while he wasn't very good for most of the season last year as a starting 3-4 OLB, he did finish pretty decent as he had 3 sacks in the last 5 games and improved versus the run and was pretty solid in pass coverage all year. Now, I could be totally wrong and it wouldn't shock me if Harold is cut as well, but I think he has a future with this team and in this scheme.

Agreed...very hopeful for him but also realistic. It took Irvin over half a year to fully transition from WILL to SAM but once he got the new role down, well...

Can the same happen for Eli?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agreed...very hopeful for him but also realistic. It took Irvin over half a year to fully transition from WILL to SAM but once he got the new role down, well...

Shades of Julian Peterson anyone? Was young and only remember him at our/his peak. From what I remember never a dominant player...the type of player on your team that seems to be a great Swiss Army knife and your team wins ball games with.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Shades of Julian Peterson anyone? Was young and only remember him at our/his peak. From what I remember never a dominant player...the type of player on your team that seems to be a great Swiss Army knife and your team wins ball games with.

Julian Peterson? Haha. No not at all! Julian was a motor and a leader. JP came to play every game.
Originally posted by titan:
Julian Peterson? Haha. No not at all! Julian was a motor and a leader. JP came to play every game.

More prayers! Lol.

I hope. HE seems to have a good work ethic and attitude and he does have ability so I really think he has a shot in this new scheme and regime
He's very young still..as the season went on he seemed to get better..hopefully this season he shows up more and continues to get after the passer..

Totally different player than JP but he does have talent and ability. He has shown he is pretty good in pass coverage and late in the year he showed some pass rush ability (3 sacks in last 5 games) and improved vs the run. I think he's a good fit as a SAM OLB in this D...

Totally different player than JP but he does have talent and ability. He has shown he is pretty good in pass coverage and late in the year he showed some pass rush ability (3 sacks in last 5 games) and improved vs the run. I think he's a good fit as a SAM OLB in this D...

It's a different book pun intended...lol. But I just looked up Petersons stats, he broke out his third year. Let's hope Eli can SHOW shades of Julian Peterson this year
  • titan
  • Veteran
I guess dude is staying and sounds like he is actually involved heavyin the new front 7 scheme. As much as I disliked his game he could easily be the most improved player since he sucked so bad. The good thing is he is a Niner and I always cheer for our players. I hope he doesn't make me hate him by sucking again.

I guess dude is staying and sounds like he is actually involved heavyin the new front 7 scheme. As much as I disliked his game he could easily be the most improved player since he sucked so bad. The good thing is he is a Niner and I always cheer for our players. I hope he doesn't make me hate him by sucking again.

Glad to hear Grandpa Eli got surgery on those bunions!

Harold's​ play has been largely underwhelming​ thus far, especially when you consider that he was supposed​ to be considered a first round talent "steal" where we got him in the draft.

With that said, his play improved at the tail end of last season. It was found out after the 2016 season, that he needed minor toe surgery to correct what had been a nagging injury. With a fresh bill of health this season and now two years of experience, including a season in which he started 13 games, it's not inconceivable that he could finally play to his potential this season.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Harold's​ play has been largely underwhelming​ thus far, especially when you consider that he was supposed​ to be considered a first round talent "steal" where we got him in the draft.

With that said, his play improved at the tail end of last season. It was found out after the 2016 season, that he needed minor toe surgery to correct what had been a nagging injury. With a fresh bill of health this season and now two years of experience, including a season in which he started 13 games, it's not inconceivable that he could finally play to his potential this season.

Yeah, TBF he said his toes have been eff'd up since high school and developed bad bunion due to wearing too small shores when he was young. With the extra growth on his toe, he ended up tearing a ligament requiring injections last year (painful). He finally got surgery in January and said for the first time, he's 100%.

Like Armstead, let's see what they've got now that they are healthy.

That big toe is vitally important in being able to turn the corner. He also validated his SAM position will be rushing and blitzing a lot. He's excited he'll get to show off his athleticism.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 6, 2017 at 6:48 AM ]

Yeah, TBF he said his toes have been eff'd up since high school and developed bad bunion due to wearing too small shores when he was young. With the extra growth on his toe, he ended up tearing a ligament requiring injections last year (painful). He finally got surgery in January and said for the first time, he's 100%.

That big toe is vitally important in being able to turn the corner. He also validated his SAM position will be rushing and blitzing a lot. He's excited he'll get to show off his athleticism.

Not too mention balance. Your big toe is the last part of your foot to push off the ground every new step you take. If it's not operating at full health, it naturally​ will zap your explosion.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jun 6, 2017 at 7:01 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Claims of being 100% and reality on the field are two different things. Toe injuries are serious and have taken HOF players out like Prime Time and Willis.
Share 49ersWebzone