LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

The Book of Eli Harold is closed!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by 9moon:
he's a pass rusher by nature.. he can't be a LB under the 4-3... the only reason why he made the team is that he can be an UP (OLB) and rush the passer..

other than that, he's just not a LB who can even drop down and cover..

Your statement can be true. Maybe he does have enough athleticism to be able ask him to,cover sometimes or perhaps,we mostly do rush him from the SAM or simply have him in on run downs.

I think Eli should be re-converted back to DE. He was a 4-3 DE in college asked to bulk up and learn how to drop back to cover as a 3-4olb for Mangini/JoN. Get him to whatever weight he's comfortable with which I don't think is 260. Get his hand back in the dirt and focus all his energy and practice time into pass rushing.

This. we need to find pass rushers. Gotta at least see if he could be effective and a rotational pass rusher at DE.

Most likely true but think he COULD have a shot at SAM as well. Eli weighed 247 when he was at the combine. 49ers.com has him at 265.
  • titan
  • Veteran
As long as we are not rolling into the season with him as a starter. If he shows BIG TIME improvements and takes the job I'm all for it, but i don't want to waste another football season watching him and his other clowns friends play tag with the opposing QB.
  • thl408
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 9moon:
he's a pass rusher by nature.. he can't be a LB under the 4-3... the only reason why he made the team is that he can be an UP (OLB) and rush the passer..

other than that, he's just not a LB who can even drop down and cover..

Your statement can be true. Maybe he does have enough athleticism to be able ask him to,cover sometimes or perhaps,we mostly do rush him from the SAM or simply have him in on run downs.

I think Eli should be re-converted back to DE. He was a 4-3 DE in college asked to bulk up and learn how to drop back to cover as a 3-4olb for Mangini/JoN. Get him to whatever weight he's comfortable with which I don't think is 260. Get his hand back in the dirt and focus all his energy and practice time into pass rushing.

This. we need to find pass rushers. Gotta at least see if he could be effective and a rotational pass rusher at DE.

Most likely true but think he COULD have a shot at SAM as well. Eli weighed 247 when he was at the combine. 49ers.com has him at 265.

It's not just the size/weight issue. Everything he did regarding dropping back into coverage was new to him when he came into the NFL. I believe he was purely a DE in college. From the looks of his performance last season, it's very much a work in progress - him in coverage. As a Sam he has to learn zone drops and man techniques. Scrap all that and just focus on pass rushing and edge setting as a DE.
In most of the base packages, the Sam does set the edge on the front side.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

I could be wrong but I think he came into camp last year at 270.
Originally posted by jcs:

He did. He bulked up a lot. I'm more in favor of him now going back to his normal playing weight around 247-255 and learning the SAM where he ran a 4.48 to 4.58 (he's no edge rusher in a 3-4 or a 4-3 IMHO). The experience he gained playing the WILL in the 3-4 will go a long long ways to helping him transition.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
oh,. i hate this guy to
Originally posted by cciowa:
oh,. i hate this guy to

Understandable.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:

He did. He bulked up a lot. I'm more in favor of him now going back to his normal playing weight around 247-255 and learning the SAM where he ran a 4.48 to 4.58 (he's no edge rusher in a 3-4 or a 4-3 IMHO). The experience he gained playing the WILL in the 3-4 will go a long long ways to helping him transition.

This! The only way he stays in the NFL, IMHO, is to transition to a traditional LB spot.

BTW: Do you think Harold can transition over to the SAM or WILL?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by cciowa:
oh,. i hate this guy to

Understandable.

cc's blunt truth is refreshing.

• jcs
  • Veteran

Im reading that he's always been a pass rusher with very limited experience in coverage. Played the same way here. I think he's a good athlete with a very limited skill set. I don't see him transitioning over very well.

Im reading that he's always been a pass rusher with very limited experience in coverage. Played the same way here. I think he's a good athlete with a very limited skill set. I don't see him transitioning over very well.

That's certainly possible and I could see it going that way as well.

That's certainly possible and I could see it going that way as well.

I think the only way he plays WILL is if he's specifically rushing or the other team is running a 2-3 TE package if not goal line... so they want a stronger run defender on the weak side too out of the LB spot.
So can this kid play the SAM?
In a 4-3 I think he's purely a DE.
Share 49ersWebzone