LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

The Jaquiski "Pop" Tartt Gonna Rip Your Face Off Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
It is clear the team views him as the starter in waiting...I think the question becomes can they move Bathea at the draft and for what?

your theory can not be discounted but at the same time i would really hope the team keeps bethea for another year so the kids can learn from him plus he still has something to give us on the field... however if the team does what you think they may do,. i have no problem giving the keys to tartt. now philly do we assume that if they do trade bethea they will draft a rookie at safety? erics concussion history should taken into account?
ya keep bethea another year. ward and tartt can play corner as well to get better at man to man coverage before theyre trusted full time as the last line of defense i think.
It is clear the team views him as the starter in waiting...I think the question becomes can they move Bathea at the draft and for what?

your theory can not be discounted but at the same time i would really hope the team keeps bethea for another year so the kids can learn from him plus he still has something to give us on the field... however if the team does what you think they may do,. i have no problem giving the keys to tartt. now philly do we assume that if they do trade bethea they will draft a rookie at safety? erics concussion history should taken into account?

I would imagine they take a kid late and view Ward as the primary backup to both. Just theorizing though...I mean there are definitely rumors floating that Bathea is being shopped.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Apr 21, 2016 at 8:11 AM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

ya keep bethea another year. ward and tartt can play corner as well to get better at man to man coverage before theyre trusted full time as the last line of defense i think.

Makes sense...but it doesn't sound like that is the way they are going.
I've written a lot of articles on the 49ers, many of which focused on the defensive side of the ball. A topic which I've touched on included the thought of young safety Jaquiski Tartt at the LB spot, which is something a lot of fans have seemed interested in. So I figured, why not cover the entire 49er projected defense? Even though everything I'm about to say is completely hypothetical, I think this would be a cool thing to see on the field.

Alrighty. Let's begin with a base 3-4 defense which has been drawn against your basic 22 personnel.

READ MORE
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
He's not a inside lb on base defense

He can play inside lb in the nickel
yeah he will likely replace an ILB in sub packages, but won't actually be an ILB. Sort of a linebacker/saftey hybrid.
NFL Guru is here!!!

• thl408
22 personnel is 2rb/2te/1wr. Nice upbeat article.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
NFL Guru is here!!!

49er forum refugee?
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:
yeah he will likely replace an ILB in sub packages, but won't actually be an ILB. Sort of a linebacker/saftey hybrid.

Yeah I don't see Tartt as a traditional ILB or a traditional SS, more of the hybrid ILB/S position, which is fine by me, he's a hard hitter, and a solid tackler, give him time to develop even more, and we have a great player in the making.

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:

Yeah I don't see Tartt as a traditional ILB or a traditional SS, more of the hybrid ILB/S position, which is fine by me, he's a hard hitter, and a solid tackler, give him time to develop even more, and we have a great player in the making.

I feel the same. I think at some point, he can grow into the SS role but he needs more development there and another reason we opted for Reid's 5th year.

Thanks to the OP.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we should really consider moving Vance to DB. He's really good at batting down balls
base 3/4 D is the rub here. We are in the Nickel what, 60% of the time? So are you sort of suggesting really our base D being the Nickle and Tartt in the Kam Chancellor type role? I can see it.
Originally posted by nflcraving:
I've written a lot of articles on the 49ers, many of which focused on the defensive side of the ball. A topic which I've touched on included the thought of young safety Jaquiski Tartt at the LB spot, which is something a lot of fans have seemed interested in. So I figured, why not cover the entire 49er projected defense? Even though everything I'm about to say is completely hypothetical, I think this would be a cool thing to see on the field.

Alrighty. Let's begin with a base 3-4 defense which has been drawn against your basic 22 personnel.

READ MORE

I'm of the mind that O'Neil will be looking for sticky man-coverage CB's outside and in saying that, it would not surprise me if Robinson wins the LCB opposite of Johnson who's now ahead of Acker and primed to start at RCB. In addition, I think Ward will be our base FS but like with the robber 'assignment' he too may drop down in the slot or even outside at CB in certain designs to help disguise coverages and give the offense even more to think about. Ward played in 66% of the snaps last year in the slot (nickel/dime) and getting him primed for FS ensures he gets over a 1,100 snaps a year (i.e. Reid #1 @ 1,113 snaps in 2015).

Because we'll be in nickel/dime, etc. 66% of the time, this means O'Neil can sub either Hodges or Bowman out and give Tartt that robber assignment or play standard ILB which offers potentially, better coverage, an enforcer to the middle of the field and not lose too much in run defense once he settles in.

Keep in mind too that O'Neil switches between 3 and 4-man DL as well which means Carradine and Blaire are going to get a large number of snaps in nickel/dime as well (66%) and they should be allowed to pin their ears back and just get after the QB (Blair from the inside and Carradine from the edge).

Arik Armstead (Demetrius Cherry) --- Quinton Dial (Mike Purcell & Ian Williams) --- DeForest Buckner

Aaron Lynch (Ahmad Brooks) ------ Gerald Hodges ------ Navarro Bowman ------ Eli Harold/Tank Carradine

Rashard Robinson ----------------------------- Keith Reaser SLOT (Will Redmond) ------ Dontae Johnson

Eric Reid --------------- Jimmie Ward

Front 7 Pass Rush/Coverage (66%): Ronald Blair (inside) & Tank Carradine (edge) + Jaquiski Tartt (ILB/FS)
Backend Coverage (66%): Tramaine Brock, Kenneth Acker & Jimmie Ward (slide over to slot or outside CB)
ILB/S Backups & ST's: Michael Wilhoite, Shayne Skov & L.J. McCray
[ Edited by NCommand on May 24, 2016 at 7:08 AM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
we should really consider moving Vance to DB. He's really good at batting down balls

Yeah, if VD was here, we could have moved him to SS as well.
Share 49ersWebzone