LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Jacksonville Jaguar Arik Armstead-DT Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Pro: He played nearly similar position at Oregon, helping ensure a quicker transition
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think it's been talked about a lot on here regarding scheme and that being a reason why he "fired off the line" late. I don't know where the questions regarding his commitment are coming from though He played all season injured, which shows commitment. I think maybe the lack of "focus" on one sport would make more sense then commitment issues.

I agree though we don't have a ton of tape, but if he can clog up lanes and eat up multiple blockers then the pass rush will come. He has a lot of upside and we have the perfect coach

I thought that I read it some where.(commitment concerns)
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
I think it's been talked about a lot on here regarding scheme and that being a reason why he "fired off the line" late. I don't know where the questions regarding his commitment are coming from though He played all season injured, which shows commitment. I think maybe the lack of "focus" on one sport would make more sense then commitment issues.

I agree though we don't have a ton of tape, but if he can clog up lanes and eat up multiple blockers then the pass rush will come. He has a lot of upside and we have the perfect coach

I think is was to do with just playing football (this was he's first season not on the basketball team as well) I guess people might say commitment issue because of that

Maybe people thought he took plays off, but I didn't really see that and once he was fully healthy towards the end of the year, I saw a lot more production against some really good teams.

The great thing is we have a deep DL squad and he doesn't have to be a day one starter, but will have a chance to adapted and learn I kind of feel like that's how our GM and coaching staff work.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 26, 2015 at 10:45 AM ]

Yeah as of now in his rookie season, if he can clog multi blockers and allow our LB to do their jobs... great
I prefer trash lol, but hey sorry dude

we've all been called worse lol

No problems! Just disagree!
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

I think is was to do with just playing football (this was he's first season not on the basketball team as well) I guess people might say commitment issue because of that

Maybe people thought he took plays off, but I didn't really see that and once he was fully healthy towards the end of the year, I saw a lot more production against some really good teams.

The great thing is we have a deep DL squad and he doesn't have to be a day one starter, but will have a chance to adapted and learn I kind of feel like that's how our GM and coaching staff work.

This-people equate not playing football full time as a lack of commitment. Yet this year was the first time he didn't play basketball and he improved each game. Toward the end he really end his game. The other reason a lot of people hatting is because, one of the measures people like to use is sacks and tackles. Two answers he was to occupy blockers-just as JS did for us to allow Aldon to get sacks and Willis and Borland to make tackles. Although he had only 2.5 sacks, people negate the other stat that is often overlooked, QB hurries, he had a lot in his final year. Plus a big target like that can be disruptive to a QB's line of sight. Hoping he turns out to be a Ed "too tall Jones type player.

The only thing I really don't like is that he is from a school that because of NFL rules were not allowed to participate in the recent OTA and TC practices.
He's going to retire on the second day of training camp
But Armstead is confident he has the skills to quickly assimilate. He says he's met with Mangini and believes the 49ers' system is similar to the one he played in with the Ducks.

"As a 3-4 end, your responsibility is different, you're expected to take on bodies and keep guys off linebackers and also make plays yourself," he said recently on aSirius XM NFL radio interview. "I take pride in that. As a 3-4 end, we have to beat up offensive linemen, put our hands on them. My assets and my skills, with my length, it allows me to do that. I take pride in that."

Armstead says he's heard the critics (low stats) and aims to prove them wrong.

"It's fuel to the fire," he told Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. "It's a little extra motivation."

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Niners-Armstead-Ready-to-Play-Catch-up-in-Training-Camp-314595481.html

Is AA coming to the right system/team or what!? He's going to feel right at home here!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 13, 2015 at 12:35 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
so, do you all rather have a DL that puts pressure on the QB every single play, or a DL that registers about 10 sacks a year?
Originally posted by NCommand:
But Armstead is confident he has the skills to quickly assimilate. He says he's met with Mangini and believes the 49ers' system is similar to the one he played in with the Ducks.

"As a 3-4 end, your responsibility is different, you're expected to take on bodies and keep guys off linebackers and also make plays yourself," he said recently on aSirius XM NFL radio interview. "I take pride in that. As a 3-4 end, we have to beat up offensive linemen, put our hands on them. My assets and my skills, with my length, it allows me to do that. I take pride in that."

"It's fuel to the fire," he told Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. "It's a little extra motivation."

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Niners-Armstead-Ready-to-Play-Catch-up-in-Training-Camp-314595481.html

Is AA coming to the right system/team or what!? He's going to feel right at home here!

Looks like he views the position just like Justin Smith did. Nice. Let's hope he wows everyone.

Originally posted by 9moon:
so, do you all rather have a DL that puts pressure on the QB every single play, or a DL that registers about 10 sacks a year?

if a DL is putting pressure on the QB every play...then most likely he will end up with that many sacks

Are those the only two options?
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Looks like he views the position just like Justin Smith did. Nice. Let's hope he wows everyone.

Exactly. This is all you need to read...should be a smooth transition for him, no doubt: He says he's met with Mangini and believes the 49ers' system is similar to the one he played in with the Ducks.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

if a DL is putting pressure on the QB every play...then most likely he will end up with that many sacks

not necessarily..
Originally posted by crake49:

Are those the only two options?

A DE with 10 sacks? Did we move to a 4-3 overnight?
Share 49ersWebzone