LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Jacksonville Jaguar Arik Armstead-DT Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by mayo49:
AA = Comeback Player of the Year

As hilarious as that would be, it seems pretty much impossibly unlikely with guys like Rodgers, JJ Watt, Deshaun Watson, David Johnson, and OBJ as candidates.

Mentioned it before, and the Niners Wire just had a blurb on it....but this yr is the FIRST yr he will have had the same HC, the same game and D plans, same DC, everything the same. And nobody is expecting him to be Superman, but i think with this same program AA lights it up this yr. Sure i've Been just as disappointed as the next guy about ARik. But continuity...esp in the NFL? That is a BIG deal. Really big...so i expect some stuff from him that nobody is currently thinking about. We have to let the season come around but i just feel in it my bones, this Arik's big yr. This yr i think he not only busts thru the LOS but THEN he nails the QB. That's what i see. Other than that i see him spending a lot of time in the opponent's backfleld, and guys start looking for him every game as the guy who has to be stopped....but then, there is DeFo...oh, man...this could be such a fine season. Plus instead of no LBs, it is starting to look like it will be which of the best 3 of the 4....and 2 months ago, i couldn't name one guy who would start at LB. Good times.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by mayo49:
AA = Comeback Player of the Year

As hilarious as that would be, it seems pretty much impossibly unlikely with guys like Rodgers, JJ Watt, Deshaun Watson, David Johnson, and OBJ as candidates.

Mentioned it before, and the Niners Wire just had a blurb on it....but this yr is the FIRST yr he will have had the same HC, the same game and D plans, same DC, everything the same. And nobody is expecting him to be Superman, but i think with this same program AA lights it up this yr. Sure i've Been just as disappointed as the next guy about ARik. But continuity...esp in the NFL? That is a BIG deal. Really big...so i expect some stuff from him that nobody is currently thinking about. We have to let the season come around but i just feel in it my bones, this Arik's big yr. This yr i think he not only busts thru the LOS but THEN he nails the QB. That's what i see. Other than that i see him spending a lot of time in the opponent's backfleld, and guys start looking for him every game as the guy who has to be stopped....but then, there is DeFo...oh, man...this could be such a fine season. Plus instead of no LBs, it is starting to look like it will be which of the best 3 of the 4....and 2 months ago, i couldn't name one guy who would start at LB. Good times.

I think he'll be more of an impact than tank was and imo tank was solid in base last year.
Man, all I know is the draft capital we invested in these three...these guys alone should be blasting all offensive lines better than any trio in the league.

AA, DeFo, ST.

These dudes were beasts coming out of college. Would be disappointed if even one of them flames out.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Man, all I know is the draft capital we invested in these three...these guys alone should be blasting all offensive lines better than any trio in the league.

AA, DeFo, ST.

These dudes were beasts coming out of college. Would be disappointed if even one of them flames out.

lmao you're in for a doozy then. AA for sure is a bust.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by Joecool:

AA, DeFo, ST.

lmao you're in for a doozy then. AA for sure is a bust.

This couldn't be further from the truth.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
at what point was AA ever a beast? He even sucked in college.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

he has potential. in some worlds of some people, that is all that is needed to get excited and starting predicting a break out year. a monster year or whatever else. he is a underachiever that adds little to nothing on our team ever since he has been here and has NEVER justified his number one part of the twin towers justin replacement blather he brought with him when he was drafted. i believe he will ether get beat out or more likely get hurt again
If AA manages to stay healthy, I'm fully prepared to start hearing the snarky, cynical BS comments about how "it's about time he produced" or "took him long enough to do something" because that's just how the Zone works around here. "Big picture" thinking is sorely lacking here. There's no middle ground -- everyone's the worst until they're not.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

he has potential. in some worlds of some people, that is all that is needed to get excited and starting predicting a break out year. a monster year or whatever else. he is a underachiever that adds little to nothing on our team ever since he has been here and has NEVER justified his number one part of the twin towers justin replacement blather he brought with him when he was drafted. i believe he will ether get beat out or more likely get hurt again
guaranteed.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
If AA manages to stay healthy, I'm fully prepared to start hearing the snarky, cynical BS comments about how "it's about time he produced" or "took him long enough to do something" because that's just how the Zone works around here. "Big picture" thinking is sorely lacking here. There's no middle ground -- everyone's the worst until they're not.

your theory is totally based upon your very first word. at what point in time after four years do you just stop hoping and saying if when it comes to people like him. the team had the big picture in mind when they drafted him as a replacement for cowboy.. how has that worked out?

your theory is totally based upon your very first word. at what point in time after four years do you just stop hoping and saying if when it comes to people like him. the team had the big picture in mind when they drafted him as a replacement for cowboy.. how has that worked out?

Some folks have trouble discerning between bad luck and proneness to injury, as well as discerning between statistics and performance. While I wasn't a big-time fan of AA coming out, I don't see an injury prone player -- just one who had a couple unlucky instances the past couple years after playing all 16 games as a rookie. I see a guy who is good football player who makes a positive difference on the football in both the run and pass defense situations, despite not putting up huge sack numbers (like Buckner, who we don't criticize for the same reason mainly because he's been healthier AND the sack totals aren't at all indicative of the type of player he is).

You don't just give up on a player with obvious talent and strong play when they're on the field. Yes, he's missed the last half of the season the past couple of years, but that doesn't negate what he did when he wasn't hurt. I'll give up on a player that clearly can't cut it in terms of ability, or is a headache/locker room cancer, or has talent but is an idiot and makes too many mental mistakes to stay on the field. But none of these apply to AA. Call me a "three strikes" kind of guy I guess, but I'm not ready to call AA injury prone... yet. Don't get me wrong, if he gets another season ending injury this year, yeah, I'll say that's strike three for me.

Some around here have such savage negativity though, it's almost as if they want AA to get hurt again so the team gets rid of him, despite the fact that a healthy AA would be incredibly beneficial for our team. AA contributes well when he's out there, but obviously the talent does us no good if it's unable to see the field. Ultimately, my point is folks need to relax and try to be more reasonable when surveying the circumstances.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 31, 2018 at 9:48 AM ]

To be fair to AA, I've never once been on his bandwagon. I didn't like the pick when they made it, didn't like him his rookie or sophomore years and was hoping he would've been traded last year. However, as i've been going back and watching more film this off-season looking at some of our younger defensive players and overall scheme I came away quite satisfied with what AA did in the overall scheme. I think that's why they picked up his 5th year option. He's not going to be the wrecking ball terror cowboy was or be the slippery pass rusher Buckner is, but he's not a bad player and contributed a lot more than his stats show this past year. It's just like Harold, the stuff that AA and Harold were doing on our defense wasn't stuff that shows up on stat sheets but are integral parts of the defense. Can you name ATL SAM backer or SEA big end? No. Why? Because those aren't positions that get the flash others do in this system.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i guess we have groups of posters who always hold out hope some guy will finally stay healthy and get it and you got some who have four years of under performing.no matter the excuse or reason. have just seen enough and are ready to move on. guess there is nothing wrong in either case. my issue is even when he and ward are healthy. they do little for our team and are simply not worth the money they are being paid for
  • thl408
Some folks have trouble discerning between bad luck and proneness to injury, as well as discerning between statistics and performance. While I wasn't a big-time fan of AA coming out, I don't see an injury prone player -- just one who had a couple unlucky instances the past couple years after playing all 16 games as a rookie. I see a guy who is good football player who makes a positive difference on the football in both the run and pass defense situations, despite not putting up huge sack numbers (like Buckner, who we don't criticize for the same reason mainly because he's been healthier AND the sack totals aren't at all indicative of the type of player he is).

You don't just give up on a player with obvious talent and strong play when they're on the field. Yes, he's missed the last half of the season the past couple of years, but that doesn't negate what he did when he wasn't hurt. I'll give up on a player that clearly can't cut it in terms of ability, or is a headache/locker room cancer, or has talent but is an idiot and makes too many mental mistakes to stay on the field. But none of these apply to AA. Call me a "three strikes" kind of guy I guess, but I'm not ready to call AA injury prone... yet. Don't get me wrong, if he gets another season ending injury this year, yeah, I'll say that's strike three for me.

Some around here have such savage negativity though, it's almost as if they want AA to get hurt again so the team gets rid him, despite the fact that a healthy AA would be incredibly beneficial for our team. AA contributes well when he's out there, but obviously the talent does us no good if it's unable to see the field. Ultimately, my point is folks need to relax and try to be more reasonable when surveying the circumstances.
If you think all of AA's injuries are bad luck, then why would one more make you give up on him?
I compare that line of thinking to the Foster situation. Some have said, "one more time and I'm done with Foster". I'm kind of a three strikes guy too and I have not given one strike to Foster because all his troubles are BS and none of them I consider strikes. (Sorry, don't want to make this a Foster topic)
If you consider all of AA's injuries bad luck, then he should have zero strikes by your count.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
To be fair to AA, I've never once been on his bandwagon. I didn't like the pick when they made it, didn't like him his rookie or sophomore years and was hoping he would've been traded last year. However, as i've been going back and watching more film this off-season looking at some of our younger defensive players and overall scheme I came away quite satisfied with what AA did in the overall scheme. I think that's why they picked up his 5th year option. He's not going to be the wrecking ball terror cowboy was or be the slippery pass rusher Buckner is, but he's not a bad player and contributed a lot more than his stats show this past year. It's just like Harold, the stuff that AA and Harold were doing on our defense wasn't stuff that shows up on stat sheets but are integral parts of the defense. Can you name ATL SAM backer or SEA big end? No. Why? Because those aren't positions that get the flash others do in this system.

Thank you for the very unbiased breakdown. Refreshing
Share 49ersWebzone