LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

Jacksonville Jaguar Arik Armstead-DT Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he flashes when no one blocks him and still misses the tackle 90% of the time.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he flashes when no one blocks him and still misses the tackle 90% of the time.

but we should keep him for depth
Originally posted by cciowa:

I forgot about his being on the team LOL. You know, I would rather keep him as a back-up then trade him for a 5th rd pick. I agree, he could make a really good, versatile back-up.
It's going to be interesting to see what we do with Carradine. If he's not re-signed, that puts AA or Buck in line to take his spot at Big End. If they truly want Solomon Thomas playing inside, I expect and they have him change his body a little and add perhaps 8-10 pounds to become a DT in the mold of something between an Aaron Donald (6-1 284) and Justin Smith (6-3 285).
The Bruce Ailington of Dline
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It's going to be interesting to see what we do with Carradine. If he's not re-signed, that puts AA or Buck in line to take his spot at Big End. If they truly want Solomon Thomas playing inside, I expect and they have him change his body a little and add perhaps 8-10 pounds to become a DT in the mold of something between an Aaron Donald (6-1 284) and Justin Smith (6-3 285).

I don't think it will be interesting. This is the same line every year with this guy. In my opinion, Carradine is on his way out. Armstead is most likely right behind him.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think it will be interesting. This is the same line every year with this guy. In my opinion, Carradine is on his way out. Armstead is most likely right behind him.

we can only hope. Carradine has shown nothing and AA has shown even less.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Is it just me or hes put on some weight? Lol.

We like those 290 pound LEO's.

Agreed. Thomas is 286+ right now so focusing more at 3T and adding 10 pounds this off season and changing his training regimen for the inside shouldn't be difficult at all for him.

Good call at BE. If we keep AA, he's one of those players you could use in rotation between BE and inside like Saleh likes. But moving Buckner there would be ideal.

Then, if Saleh needs a bigger personnel at LEO to help stuff the run, he could use natural edge run defenders like Tank, Blair or Douzable.

My guess is Saleh has been rotating active/inactive each week with Tank and Douzable for evaluation.

We'll probably only resign one of those two.

I mean, I'm interested to the extent of "will they or won't they" bring back the "near elite 6-tech" that Saleh thinks he is. Everyone's "eye test" is ultimately relative. A bad impression can lead to people seeing only what they expect to see and writing off all deviations to their expectations. Don't get me wrong though, we can definitely do better than Carradine when it comes to pass rushers. And I trust that we will make ultimately make whatever decisions we need to in order to shape the defense into something that maximizes and fulfills its full potential in the current system.

I do like AA, and I think he's actually a very valuable player, especially in rotation. While I never saw him as a true 1st rounder, he's a starter quality player when healthy. Problem is, he's likely more of a rotational player in this scheme. On passing downs, a fully-developed Thomas, who is an astronomically better athlete that can finish and make the sack, would always take priority over AA. Simply put, while AA is excellent inside on passing downs, he doesn't have the freak athleticism to make the plays Thomas could. All Thomas needs is to build a little more strength (no problem with a full NFL off-season entering next year).

This is false.

I mean, I'm interested to the extent of "will they or won't they" bring back the "near elite 6-tech" that Saleh thinks he is. Everyone's "eye test" is ultimately relative. A bad impression can lead to people seeing only what they expect to see and writing off all deviations to their expectations. Don't get me wrong though, we can definitely do better than Carradine when it comes to pass rushers. And I trust that we will make ultimately make whatever decisions we need to in order to shape the defense into something that maximizes and fulfills its full potential in the current system.

I do like AA, and I think he's actually a very valuable player, especially in rotation. While I never saw him as a true 1st rounder, he's a starter quality player when healthy. Problem is, he's likely more of a rotational player in this scheme. On passing downs, a fully-developed Thomas, who is an astronomically better athlete that can finish and make the sack, would always take priority over AA. Simply put, while AA is excellent inside on passing downs, he doesn't have the freak athleticism to make the plays Thomas could. All Thomas needs is to build a little more strength (no problem with a full NFL off-season entering next year).

This is false.

Only way we keep AA is if this stupid LEO project gets trashed. Give him his food and let's get him and Buckner as bookends on the interior DL with Mitchell in the middle. Nobody running on us then but AA has difficulty finding the ball a lot.
We saw Armstead up here in Eugene and almost all Duck fans felt he did not meet expectations. Five stars out of high school but never really showed the motor on defense. Most of us felt he was better suited to play tackle on offense but he wanted to play defense. He has the athleticism to play tackle( he played basketball for awhile) so maybe they should consider a switch. They could start grooming him to replace Staley when he retires. He will never be like Buckner who goes all out all the time.

Carradine is gone. He's not a bad player and a good fit at the big end spot but he just can't stay healthy. Time to get rid of this (these) guy(s)
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agreed. Thomas is 286+ right now so focusing more at 3T and adding 10 pounds this off season and changing his training regimen for the inside shouldn't be difficult at all for him.

Good call at BE. If we keep AA, he's one of those players you could use in rotation between BE and inside like Saleh likes. But moving Buckner there would be ideal.

Then, if Saleh needs a bigger personnel at LEO to help stuff the run, he could use natural edge run defenders like Tank, Blair or Douzable.

My guess is Saleh has been rotating active/inactive each week with Tank and Douzable for evaluation.

We'll probably only resign one of those two.

That's an intriguing observation. Their grades are probably very similar. One thing to note though: Douzable is 31, Tank is 28. If they had to choose, who do they bring back? Douzable has put more pressure on the QB from what I've witnessed, and has graded out as one of the top run defenders in the NFL, but still, neither has eye-popping stats.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 14, 2017 at 8:30 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Originally posted by cciowa:

I forgot about his being on the team LOL. You know, I would rather keep him as a back-up then trade him for a 5th rd pick. I agree, he could make a really good, versatile back-up.

i was being sarcastic.. we would never get a fifth round pick for this waste in my oipinion
Share 49ersWebzone