LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

We may have a Salary Cap issue

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We have an issue coming to us, we have to have a little over $8.3M in cap room to pay back 12 players' roster bonuses, and the potential for Aldon Smith's roster bonuses, and Incentives. And right now we have about $5.9M in cap room, and still would have to sign our draft class.

So I've pinpointed 9 players who could restructure their deals, with each deal adding on enough years, as 5 years is max to prorate bonus

Those 9 are(Savings inside), Kap($7.724M), Bowman($3.164M), Staley($2.904M), VDavis($2.784M), Boldin($3.624M), ADavis($884K), Bethea($1.704M), Brock($884K), & Lee($864K)

How much gtd money would be added, Kap($9.655M), Bowman($3.955M0, Staley($3.63M), VDavis($3.48M), Boldin($4.53M), ADavis($1.105M), Bethea($2.13M), Brock($1.105M), & Lee($1.08M)

Amount added yearly, Kap($1.931M), Bowman($791K), Staley($726K), VDavis($696K), Boldin($906K), ADavis($221K), Bethea($426K), Brock($221K), & Lee($216K)

Now how long the new deals would run through, Kap(2020), Bowman(2019), Staley(2019), VDavis(2019), Boldin(2019), ADavis(2019), Bethea(2019), Brock(2019), & Lee(2019)

Now I don't see Dawson, JSmith, or Brooks as liable options, as neither of those 3 should be expected to be here past 2015.

If JSmith retires, that clears $4.25M, if we cut Brooks and Dawson, that clears $4,706,250 for Brooks, and $2.634M for Dawson.

Although Brooks does have a $100K workout bonus, which he would likely earn if they keep him right before the start of the 2015 season.

So as you can tell, and as I have said during the offseason, there was no way we could afford to add a player like Adrian Peterson.
Pile it on.
We don't have a problem. Paraag is on the job.
we can never catch a fkn break. Cut Vernon-solves everything.
This is why I think the VD trade rumors have some legs. AB how much cap space do we clear if VD is traded?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
We don't have a problem. Paraag is on the job.

It's an issue. The team is over budget by $2.4m and needs to solve it. Would be even worse if Willis and Borland didn't retire.

I have a feeling something "big" is gonna happen on draft day.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
This is why I think the VD trade rumors have some legs. AB how much cap space do we clear if VD is traded?

would be the smartest move of the offseason. he's no where near the player he use to be, but still holds trade value. in a year or two, we'd be lucky to get a 8th rd draft pick for him. Right now we can probably get a 3rd.
I hope that the FO has a master plan. I don't want to relive the "Good Old Days" of Salary Cap Hell.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Luckycharms:

would be the smartest move of the offseason. he's no where near the player he use to be, but still holds trade value. in a year or two, we'd be lucky to get a 8th rd draft pick for him. Right now we can probably get a 3rd.

This ain't 1991 Chaz the 8th round no longer exist.

That's pretty BS that all you guys are giving up on VD already.

Don't forget he wasn't fully healthy last season,and on top of it because of his Hold out he missed some offseason days to come in and practice

His attitude since the departure of Willis, he's come in and shown he wants to win and has put all that BS aside, so i feel like he's preparing himself to have a great year.

This is VD were talking about, we've seen what he can do.

I understand we have a Cap issue, but i don't see how cutting him makes that a good move.

Let's just give up all our talent and jus have a bunch of money.

I know right. This is the guy that has 13 plus tds 2 years and we don't pass often at all. He is probably the best blocking te, the best deep threat and fastest te in the league.

Big deal, he had an injury filled year and did not get targeted in the redzone except the Dallas game and he lit them up. Bottom line, throw him the ball and good results will come, especially in the redzone or burning lbs safeties and even CBS. He will be fine when kap has more than 3 seconds to throw to him and now VD is healthy and pretty dam motivated.
  • thl408
There has got to be better ways to clear cap that doesn't involve cutting/trading VD. How much can an over 30 TE, with one year left on his deal, fetch on the trade market anyways? 49ers finally get a speed threat on the outside (Torrey). Makes little sense to trade away the other speed threat. Then they'll be back in the same boat they've been in the past couple years - only 1 deep threat. He's also now in a leadership role.

I think Baalke/Paraag know what's up and will massage some contracts.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
That's pretty BS that all you guys are giving up on VD already.

Don't forget he wasn't fully healthy last season,and on top of it because of his Hold out he missed some offseason days to come in and practice

His attitude since the departure of Willis, he's come in and shown he wants to win and has put all that BS aside, so i feel like he's preparing himself to have a great year.

This is VD were talking about, we've seen what he can do.

I understand we have a Cap issue, but i don't see how cutting him makes that a good move.

Let's just give up all our talent and jus have a bunch of money.

lol

I liked the old VD but the dude who held out last year and would rather be painting can gtfo

No reason for him to hold out, wasn't even his contract year lol, the team called his bluff and he was clearly pissed.

Dude jumps for every pass when he doesn't have to.
Lines up in the wrong spot at least a few times a game.
Sign heem!

Oh wait...
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by thl408:
There has got to be better ways to clear cap that doesn't involve cutting/trading VD. How much can an over 30 TE, with one year left on his deal, fetch on the trade market anyways? 49ers finally get a speed threat on the outside (Torrey). Makes little sense to trade away the other speed threat. Then they'll be back in the same boat they've been in the past couple years - only 1 deep threat. He's also now in a leadership role.

I think Baalke/Paraag know what's up and will massage some contracts.

massage contracts as you say doesn't fix the issue it just puts it off so you can sign all the players per the current rules

the reason they are over budget is because they are now paying for contract perks of the past few years
Share 49ersWebzone