There are 154 users in the forums

All22 Analysis - Coverages & Concepts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm for sure getting Game Pass this year...stopped my subscription the last few years cuz we sucked
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by communist:
What is a QB wristband good for if the playcall can be communicated to the QB via headset in the helmet?

It's to simplify what is said into the helmet. For example, a 12 word play call that describes the formation, routes, hot, protection can be simplified to four letters: EFTW where each letter represents 3 words on the wristband that describes those four things. The only words spoken over the mic is "eftw", but when the QB reads his wristband, 12 words are spoken in the huddle.
It would be hard to remember all 12 words over the helmet speaker.
Thank you.

What about Brady's wristband:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/tom-brady-play-call-wristband-nfl-new-england-patriots
How do they presumably communicate it to Brady? Just the number?

yeah, or a combination of numbers. Think about each play like a combination of ingredients.

Formation
secondary check out call
play call of run or pass
blocking scheme
For example - making up this play from Father Shanahan's playbook -

"Double wing Zebra right Exit to Tampa Bay 43 32 Scat Y stick Lion 43 Scat"

What that is is a formation with "21" Personnel with Juice starting in a 2nd TE position look to the left side, motioning across to to an off-set I position to the strong side, if the defense is giving a 2 safety look, it checks out of a pass to a weakside lead draw play, if single safety it continues through to a "stick" concept with the "Z" receiver running a streak, Juice running a quick, 4 step out and Kittle running a choice "stick" route where if it's man coverage he'll run a quick out, zone coverage he'll sit down. The RB will have a check release on the backside and the "X" receiver running a short post/deep slant.

Here's how it breaks down:
"double wing Zebra Right" is the initial formation and tells the "U" or "zebra" player to motion to the right side of the formation
"exit to Tampa bay 43" is the check-to call for a draw play with "43" being the Full back leading into the "3" hole.
"32 Scat Y Stick Lion" are the route combinations for all players
"43" scat" is the protection for the O-lineman with a singleback, weakside scat protection.

So, there's different ways teams do it. Some have all the plays fully written out on the wristband, some have all the different sections on the wristband so for that play, the coach could presumably give 4 numbers - which is still shorter than the whole thing.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
yeah, or a combination of numbers. Think about each play like a combination of ingredients.

Formation
secondary check out call
play call of run or pass
blocking scheme

What that is is a formation with "21" Personnel with Juice starting in a 2nd TE position look to the left side, motioning across to to an off-set I position to the strong side, if the defense is giving a 2 safety look, it checks out of a pass to a weakside lead draw play, if single safety it continues through to a "stick" concept with the "Z" receiver running a streak, Juice running a quick, 4 step out and Kittle running a choice "stick" route where if it's man coverage he'll run a quick out, zone coverage he'll sit down. The RB will have a check release on the backside and the "X" receiver running a short post/deep slant.

"double wing Zebra Right" is the initial formation and tells the "U" or "zebra" player to motion to the right side of the formation
"exit to Tampa bay 43" is the check-to call for a draw play with "43" being the Full back leading into the "3" hole.
"43" scat" is the protection for the O-lineman with a singleback, weakside scat protection.

So, there's different ways teams do it. Some have all the plays fully written out on the wristband, some have all the different sections on the wristband so for that play, the coach could presumably give 4 numbers - which is still shorter than the whole thing.

A zebra call is a 3 wide personnel grouping. Here's Elder shanny's Zebra based formations.
Originally posted by Niners816:

Formation
secondary check out call
play call of run or pass
blocking scheme

A zebra call is a 3 wide personnel grouping. Here's Elder shanny's Zebra based formations.
Yeah, but in there, if I remember right "zebra" was just a term used interchangeably where it was a piece on the field, like a "U" back as Walsh used to call it that could be filled by a TE, FB, or WR.

Formation
secondary check out call
play call of run or pass
blocking scheme

Yeah, but in there, if I remember right "zebra" was just a term used interchangeably where it was a piece on the field, like a "U" back as Walsh used to call it that could be filled by a TE, FB, or WR.
NM, i think i daw that in grudens or one of Holmgrens and confused them up. Same thing applies though for the overall message of the post.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I'm for sure getting Game Pass this year...stopped my subscription the last few years cuz we sucked

It's pretty cool. I got it when Kyle became the HC. Haven't been sorry ever since.
NM, i think i daw that in grudens or one of Holmgrens and confused them up. Same thing applies though for the overall message of the post.

I just remember it was Zebra when it was a 3rd WR in 11 personnel. 4 WR sets were Eagle where one of the receivers was called "eagle" and the other was "E". And then just to confuse things more when it was 20 personnel the 3rd WR was called "E"

Here's the groupings from I believe a Holmgren book? (I can't remenber where I got them)

I'm gonna try to go find that page. It was cool had it all laid out with the animal names and personnel groupings.

Also, I wasn't trying to confuse your original message. It was spot on. I just remember animals were personnel groupings and was usually tied to additional receivers.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 1, 2018 at 6:02 PM ]

I just remember it was Zebra when it was a 3rd WR in 11 personnel. 4 WR sets were Eagle where one of the receivers was called "eagle" and the other was "E". And then just to confuse things more when it was 20 personnel the 3rd WR was called "E"

Here's the groupings from I believe a Holmgren book? (I can't remenber where I got them)

I'm gonna try to go find that page. It was cool had it all laid out with the animal names and personnel groupings.

Also, I wasn't trying to confuse your original message. It was spot on. I just remember animals were personnel groupings and was usually tied to additional receivers.

Here are some cool examples from Shanny's 2004 book. Zebra is 11 personnel, Tiger is 12 personnel, Eagle is 10 personnel, U is 22 personnel and E is 20 personnel. I like these because it shows who's being replaced.

[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 1, 2018 at 6:20 PM ]
  • thl408
NFL GamePass Film Session: The Art of Run and Pass Blocking Broken Down by Joe Thomas:

Originally posted by thl408:
NFL GamePass Film Session: The Art of Run and Pass Blocking Broken Down by Joe Thomas:

Depressing to see the amount of football talent wasted in Cleveland

• thl408
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Depressing to see the amount of football talent wasted in Cleveland

Best tackle in football blocking for the crappiest QBs in football. Story of JThomas' career.
This week we saw some excitement over McKinnon's TD on the WCO famed Texas route/Texas Concept. That route has always been money and it's basically stealing when you have a back with speed running it. For those's not familiar I will post an example of the play from Elder Shanny's 04 playbook book. Here it is:

The boxed route is the famed "Texas" route or HB angle. This particular playart illustrates a play from 12 personnel that has the back motioning or shifting prior to the snap.

Now what I want to see is if we see McKinnon run the complimentary route to the Texas route. That route is an arrow route or sometimes referred to as a whip route. Here's an example:

Again this play shows 12 personnel with a back motioning/shifting prior to the snap. As you can see, this route sells a Texas and then breaks it to the outside.

Just for the hell of it here's and example of both from 1994:
This week we saw some excitement over McKinnon's TD on the WCO famed Texas route/Texas Concept. That route has always been money and it's basically stealing when you have a back with speed running it. For those's not familiar I will post an example of the play from Elder Shanny's 04 playbook book. Here it is:

The boxed route is the famed "Texas" route or HB angle. This particular playart illustrates a play from 12 personnel that has the back motioning or shifting prior to the snap.

Now what I want to see is if we see McKinnon run the complimentary route to the Texas route. That route is an arrow route or sometimes referred to as a whip route. Here's an example:

Again this play shows 12 personnel with a back motioning/shifting prior to the snap. As you can see, this route sells a Texas and then breaks it to the outside.

Just for the hell of it here's and example of both from 1994:

The bottom play is uncoverable if your RB can run routes, if your playing man with inside leverage they go out, other way if you shade outside.

If you're in zone you physically can't cover the routes of both HB and Y (TE). Cash money.

The only possible ways to win would be to practically knock the back over within 5 yards, or to put a nickel CB on him and hope for the best, we'd probably then just run it down their throat.

Our O is going to be devastating.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
The bottom play is uncoverable if your RB can run routes, if your playing man with inside leverage they go out, other way if you shade outside.

If you're in zone you physically can't cover the routes of both HB and Y (TE). Cash money.

The only possible ways to win would be to practically knock the back over within 5 yards, or to put a nickel CB on him and hope for the best, we'd probably then just run it down their throat.

Factor in Jimmy's quick release and there's all sorts of winning on a play like these. As I mention and you said, it's stealing. You can wrap this up anyway you want to as well. Hell, come out in 21 personnel in a strong I and let Juice take some of this also.

Personally, I'm gonna try to keep an eye out and see if we are in fact using that arrow route. I know we use the Texas quite a bit but I was never really looking for the arrow so I'm unsure if we used it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Factor in Jimmy's quick release and there's all sorts of winning on a play like these. As I mention and you said, it's stealing. You can wrap this up anyway you want to as well. Hell, come out in 21 personnel in a strong I and let Juice take some of this also.

Personally, I'm gonna try to keep an eye out and see if we are in fact using that arrow route. I know we use the Texas quite a bit but I was never really looking for the arrow so I'm unsure if we used it.

I'd like to see how the speed concepts work too. I mean McKinnon has serious speed to outrun the defense to the edge. It would be interesting how the OLine and the WR's/TE's block to the side McKinnon is heading to. Do they just shade, actually try to drive block, or do they decoy? Anyway, just props to this thread. This is serious high level stuff that I enjoy and hope you football nerds keep it up to educate us uneducated folkes.
Share 49ersWebzone