LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 182 users in the forums

Where do you expect our defense to be Ranked this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Where do you expect our defense to be Ranked this season?

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by cciowa:
With Fangio, we would've been around the top 5 again. If Mangini coaches the defense like he's done in years past, we'll be lucky to be a top 15 defense.

Such a lame argument. Have you checked out Fangio's track record before coming here and working with OUR personnel?

why check facts when it is much easier to spit out bile?

Have you checked Manginis track record?

All I know is that we were a top 5 defense every year under Fangio, that track record should say enough.

He had one year as a DC under a NE that was absolutely devastated by injuries back in 2005? Sort of a small, unfair sample size to draw totally negative conclusions while crediting Fangio w/o first looking at HIS track record as well? Could it be...possible...just possible that BOTH Mangini and Fangio could be successful with our personnel? I guess we'll find out with Mangini here and Fangio in Chicago although 1 year is still, to me, not a fair assessment period.
This is the truth, 45 different players rotated in his only defensive cord. job and they were ranked 17th in scoring defense lol pretty confident if we can stay relativity healthy this year we will be good on D.

"Two weeks after earning a victory in Super Bowl XXXIX, linebacker Tedy Bruschi suffered a stroke and initially planned on missing the entire season; Bruschi returned to the field against the Buffalo Bills on October 30. Cornerback Ty Law was released in the offseason, and injuries at cornerback, as well as a season-ending injury to safety Rodney Harrison in Week 3, forced the Patriots to start a number of players in the secondary early in the season. Overall, injuries caused the Patriots to start 45 different players at one point or another during the season, an NFL record for a division champion (breaking the record of 42 set by the Patriots in 2003)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_New_England_Patriots_season
[ Edited by Jesu80ncleats on Apr 24, 2015 at 10:59 AM ]
My personal expectations for everything 9ers this year is very low. Anything good this season will be a pleasant surprise. If our offense avoids turnovers our defense could be very good, we still have some great players and young guys with talent but if our offense is constantly going 3 and out and turning the ball over this defense will be near the bottom of the league along with our offense. Having said that go 9ers!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I don't think he will be either BUT, I could see Mangini wanting to go the way of the old Patriots defense: 2-gap NT like Danny Shelton/Eddie Goldman/Carl Davis (ala Vince Wilfork) and Arik Armstead (ala Richard Seymour who was 6'6" 310 himself). But you know me...I'm in favor of trading back a bit and picking up another 2nd or 3rd while also grabbing Goldman as well. Win-win. Unless Shelton falls
Comment of the day. I think the 49ers need picks and not one big impact player who won't crack the starting lineup. I know (some) people hate this but again expect a couple of injured drafted players. This will be a buck-shot draft or even picks will be traded to grab better picks next year with Davis in his final year and Boldin getting even longer in the tooth. Staley is no longer a spring chicken so we will certgainly need quality NEXT season versus this one from the draft. MIKE is where I think we are looking for a starter to compete with Wilhoite. It won't be given to him.

Fans need to know that Baalke has traded the most in the NFL (tied with Bill Belichick) with 18 during the same span. 18. Baalke is NOT going to sit there at all 9 picks. That we do know. So your mock drafts better have at least 1 trade in place.

Baalke will do what he can to balance immediate needs with next year needs and beyond.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
This is the truth, 46 different players rotated in his only defensive cord. job and they were ranked 17th in scoring defense lol pretty confident if we can stay relativity healthy this year we will be good on D.

Jesus Christ. 45 different players? I had no idea it was THAT high. I think Fangio worked magic last year for all the injuries we had as well to remain top 5 but 45 different players is insane! To rank 17th in points, that's pretty damn good to say the least, right?

Either way, the point is to avoid these SuicidePosters, recognize the TALENT on this team that you all could see with your own two eyes last year (unless you're D.Smith ) and give these Coordinators a chance to do nothing more than maximize the talent and strengths of our players. I'm not saying they will or won't but talent is talent...it can usually be successful in any system and often times, overcome poor coordinating. We've seen that before here.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 24, 2015 at 11:17 AM ]
Without Willis, Borlan, Culliver, and RayMac, and possibly Justin Smith.......wouldn't surprise if we're middle of the pack.

#realist
  • 909er
  • Veteran
Jesus Christ. 46 different players? I had no idea it was THAT high. I think Fangio worked magic last year for all the injuries we had as well to remain top 5 but 46 different players is insane! To rank 17th in points, that's pretty damn good to say the least, right?

Either way, the point is to avoid these SuicidePosters, recognize the TALENT on this team that you all could see with your own two eyes last year (unless you're D.Smith ) and give these Coordinators a chance to do nothing more than maximize the talent and strengths of our players. I'm not saying they will or won't but talent is talent...it can usually be successful in any system and often times, overcome poor coordinating. We've seen that before here.

Agree 100%,i cannot wait to see the new guys step up this year. I have a strong feeling that if he can stay healthy, that Ramsey is going to light it up and open some eyes this year. The last time I felt that way about a player was with aldon Smith. Not saying he will, just have that feeling
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 909er:
I agree. Without our players, I don't think fangio would have done so well. I think our players will have something to prove this year with all the coaching turnover, and all mangini has to do is put them in position to let them play to their strengths. And if he doesn't then I can see coach Tomsula stepping in and changing some things to make it work. He's been here long enough to know what fits best for our team, offence and defense, jmho

i think our whole team has something to prove. unlike last year, we are not a divided house and unlike some regimes,, i have full confidence this regime will, as 909 said,, do what is best for the team instead of trying to be cute and clever in their play calling which often times leads to disaster , to know how to manage a nfl game clock, time outs and challenge flags and to conduct themselves with class on the sidelines instead of ranting , raving and spitting like a f**king lunatic. our defense will be more than solid and it will be fun to see the final product on the field
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
sorry, i'll make sure to be a bigger homer next time i post in niner talk.

you make a statement, people take issue with it and now you pout, lol
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
Without Willis, Borlan, Culliver, and RayMac, and possibly Justin Smith.......wouldn't surprise if we're middle of the pack.

#realist
those things, cept for borland, are problems, and problems are meant to be solved. i think they will because i think the guys are there, plus the draft, to help solve those issues.

#realist

Realist approach:
Borland - ended the year on I.R. but was on pace to accumulate around 180 tackles. Bowman has provided similar results several times with us. He will need to be 100% healthy but anywhere from 120+ tackles is about all we need
Willis/Wilhoite - Willis played 5 games last year and we finished top 5. Now Michael is fully prepared to be a "starter" and will be playing next to Bowman most likely. Can we "realistically" expect slightly better production from him coming off a very solid year last year? I think so.
Culliver/Cox - very good year per PFF. Do any of these guys have equal or better talent? Johnson, Cook, Wright, Reaser, Acker. McFadden, etc. I'd say realistically, most in this group can at least match the talent. Will they match the production? Realistically, we could see a slight drop here but we should see better front 7 play with Lynch/Brooks + Aldon all year plus Williams/Dorsey healthy and Dockett added for additional pass rush. Quality pass rush = better secondary play, right?
RayMac - he played with us last year? Did anyone notice? Dial, now that he can finally play his natural position (LDE) is going to outperform his production IMHO and with additional help from Dockett, no question.
Justin - Tank already out-produced Justin in his late-season consistent snaps at the end of the season and appears ready to take off. Justin is contemplating retirement while Tank is just getting started. Production should be equal at worse. Loss in leadership but we also added Bowman back and added Dockett.

Realistically, did we REALLY lose that much (if any) on the field re: production? In leadership? Realistically, I don't think we did...
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 24, 2015 at 11:31 AM ]

Originally posted by cciowa:

#realist
those things, cept for borland, are problems, and problems are meant to be solved. i think they will because i think the guys are there, plus the draft, to help solve those issues.

It's going to take more than just hoping in the draft picks. I think the loss of Tomsula coaching the dline is going to have a bigger impact than most expect.
[ Edited by verb1der on Apr 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM ]
It's going to take more than just hoping in the draft picks. I think the loss of Tomsula coaching the dline is going to have a bigger impact than most expect.

I actually think this is a fair point. Tomsula is going to be very much focused on ALL positions and will literally, have his hands (on approach) in every position now. That said, almost all of the guys have already been developed: Justin, Dockett, Dial (LDE), Tank (RDE), Williams/Dorsey, TJE, etc. The only guys right now who need ANY development is Ramsey and Okoye. You'd think Scott Brown & Aubrayo Franklin would make for a fine tandem though and you KNOW Tomsula will still be popping in to monitor development in an area of expertise.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 24, 2015 at 11:35 AM ]

I actually think this is a fair point. Tomsula is going to be very much focused on ALL positions and will literally, have his hands (on approach) in every position now. That said, almost all of the guys have already been developed: Justin, Dockett, Dial (LDE), Tank (RDE), Williams/Dorsey, TJE, etc. The only guys right now who need ANY development is Ramsey and Okoye. You'd think Scott Brown & Aubrayo Franklin would make for a fine tandem though and you KNOW Tomsula will still be popping in to monitor development in an area of expertise.

Not enough bludgeon ^
Are we making predictions without knowing who we draft? Is Smith coming back? A little early.
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
I'm having a really hard time predicting our defense this season.

With all the changes, plus no more Vic Fangio, I can't seem to place it.

We got Bowman hopefully returning as his powerful self, still waiting on that big ? on Justin Smith.

I'm not worried to much about our Dline with the guys we're getting back, plus what we added makes feel like we'll be ok.

Corners, they're young, but can they produce. Safety's i'm confident in, as long as Reid can avoid concussions.

But our strongest point was our Linebackers, and for once in the last 8 years, it's no longer our strong spot.

I have a lot of confidence in Wilhoite, i just think he may lack speed than what we are used to. Aldon, please keep out of trouble this year, and i expect a bigger year with Aaron Lynch.

With Mangini having experience at being DC, i can't imagine him making this defense more worse.

I do BELIEVE that Arik Armstead is the guy we need to get at 15 if he is available, to me it makes a lot of sense.

As of right now, i'm predicting our defense to be in the Top 15

Your Predictions?

i would bet a grand that all the analyst are wrong about 49ers picking Armstead. Baalke mainly drafts players with production, not potential. Armstead should be a second rounder if anything.
Share 49ersWebzone