LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Offseason Film analysis thread - Passing concepts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Here's another example from another game: This is the 2nd time we ran a spot on the first play of the game.

St Louis comes out in a 2 zone soft look(the corner at the bottom is giving a big cushion). This is a great look versus the spot. It's going to nearly guarantee the flat route to be open on this play.

You see the two defenders retreat, it's opened up the flat route. Though, at the snap, CK moves straight to VD on the slant route. I really hate this decision because on the slant you have a 2-1 advantage to the defense. On the concept side, you have a 3-2 advantage for the offense.

You see the concept side actually has a couple options. If the corner does jump towards the flat route, CK has the arm to hit a rail shot to the streak to the sideline(there's another 5-10 yards of room towards the sideline away from the safety). But, he didn't even look that way - the corner, playing zone with no other receiving threat, is able to jump the slant and it falls incomplete.
AAAAAnd another example of the spot concept.

Here, it's 3rd and 2. We're going to run the spot off PA out of a 22 jumbo personnel set.

The run action brings the LB's up

You see the defense reacting to the flat and corner routes and the middle defender is in more of a "spy" look. With Boldin behind this defender, all CK has to do is look this guy off and wait just a bit for Boldin to work back towards the middle.

You see how Boldin will be open working back towards the middle(the spot route allows for the receive to work that area. If you look at it in the playart it's got that horizontal line showing an area to work).

With Boldin working to his right, I've highlited where CK should put the ball.

The yellow is where the ball should've been placed, insead, it's 3 ft to Boldin's left. He's unable to make a catch. The ball should've been put on his numbers as he was working the zone, instead, it's a fastball the opposite way he was working. He gets his hands on it, but that's way too tough of a catch. Technically, this goes down as a drop in the stat sheet - but it's really on CK.

This is a play that I graded out as "ok". He threw to the right guy, but wasn't a good throw.
Makes you wonder if Kaep, when he gets to the line. He looks left, right... ohh 1on1...will take that every time. Screw the concept, too confusing, and not enough time
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM ]
Yeah he absolutely butchered this play in the raider game. I think we may have been witnessing a severely rattled/pressing kap.

As for the concept, its self I find it interesting that gruden had the hook/spot/snag as the primary. We used to have the flat as primary target.

1994 niners
[ Edited by Niners816 on Apr 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone