LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Will our offense be better than our defense next season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The defense will regress most likely not for the players, but the coaches and the schemes. The offense, cant be any worse, so I think it'll be better. The amount that it will be better will depend on Kaep and GC. I dont know anything about GC to say how the schemes are going to be.
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
People talk about all the defensive turnover but forget about the replacements Baalke had ready to go.

Willis would be a huge loss but he's replaced by Bowman.
McDonald is easily replaced by Dockett.
The DL has Carradine, Dial, Dorsey, Jerod-Eddie, Williams returning, not to mention Ramsey and Okoye, who could well be a sleeper this season.
Willhoite was a full-time starter last season and the 49ers turned down requests from other teams about him. He's a solid "replacement" for Borland with Mood and Skov in the wings to replace Skuta.
Replacing Cox and Culliver is not a problem. Brock returns, along with Dontae Johnson, Acker and Reaser, two outstanding prospects, and Cook and Ward.
The safeties are solid with Bethea and Reid.
Tomsula called this DL the deepest he has had since coming here in 2007.
...and, Justin Smith is still hanging around camp...
What's this about a weakened defense?

This. I'd be surprised if we weren't a top 5 defense again.
Originally posted by deepniner:
The defense will regress most likely not for the players, but the coaches and the schemes. The offense, cant be any worse, so I think it'll be better. The amount that it will be better will depend on Kaep and GC. I dont know anything about GC to say how the schemes are going to be.

Agreed for the most part. Can't be worse than 25th in points. Defensively, we'll have to see if Mangini is more aggressive, more exotic, types of personnel he wants (i.e. 2-gap NT, etc.), consolidating the current 3 defensive schools of thoughts (3 former HC's with defensive backgrounds) and adding these strengths to what he already knows we do very well as a unit. I think we could actually be better of defense if the personnel continues to develop and compete and with the added time to install it and coach it up and the offense should have no excuse but to improve from 25th to 15th at least (which would instantly put us around the top of our division and a sure playoff team). And then anything goes...
Originally posted by NCommand:

Lol... What about Fangio
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
People talk about all the defensive turnover but forget about the replacements Baalke had ready to go.

Willis would be a huge loss but he's replaced by Bowman.
McDonald is easily replaced by Dockett.
The DL has Carradine, Dial, Dorsey, Jerod-Eddie, Williams returning, not to mention Ramsey and Okoye, who could well be a sleeper this season.
Willhoite was a full-time starter last season and the 49ers turned down requests from other teams about him. He's a solid "replacement" for Borland with Mood and Skov in the wings to replace Skuta.
Replacing Cox and Culliver is not a problem. Brock returns, along with Dontae Johnson, Acker and Reaser, two outstanding prospects, and Cook and Ward.
The safeties are solid with Bethea and Reid.
Tomsula called this DL the deepest he has had since coming here in 2007.
...and, Justin Smith is still hanging around camp...
What's this about a weakened defense?

Lol what about Fangio, like Command said id be supriced if we Top 5 defence.
Originally posted by Constantine:
Lol... What about Fangio

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Lol... What about Fangio

Ummmm?
We'll be just fine on defense.

You think Manusky was the reason we missed the playoffs in 2010??
Still expect us to be stronger on defense than offense. There is some uncertainty with Fangio gone and a more aggressive scheme put into place, but we're still highly talented on that side of the ball. Have a feeling Cowboy will decide to play, Aldon has a great year, and Bow is well rested after 18+ months removed from his surgery.

Offensively I expect us to improve, because it can't get any worse than last year. Torrey Smith is a nice signing, VD should be more effective, and I think Hyde will have a big year. But Chryst as a playcaller is still a major question mark for me, even more than Tomsula or Mangini. Have to see how he calls the games and if Kap has improved as a passer.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Still expect us to be stronger on defense than offense. There is some uncertainty with Fangio gone and a more aggressive scheme put into place, but we're still highly talented on that side of the ball. Have a feeling Cowboy will decide to play, Aldon has a great year, and Bow is well rested after 18+ months removed from his surgery.

Offensively I expect us to improve, because it can't get any worse than last year. Torrey Smith is a nice signing, VD should be more effective, and I think Hyde will have a big year. But Chryst as a playcaller is still a major question mark for me, even more than Tomsula or Mangini. Have to see how he calls the games and if Kap has improved as a passer.

Totally can see this perspective. Quality points here!

Right now I expect both units to make slight moves toward the middle (offense up, defense down). Not a major slide on defense, but some impact will be felt.

But I want to see what happens in the draft and get closer to the season before predicting major moves in the rankings.

Thanks! Also forgot to mention the o-line needs to learn how to pass protect, or else Kap's off-season work will go to waste.

Thanks! Also forgot to mention the o-line needs to learn how to pass protect, or else Kap's off-season work will go to waste.

Yeah, I don't think we'll see major, if any, changes on personnel. Clearly, Baalke has emphasized the "scheme" (i..e teaching/game planning) as THE biggest change of the year...and damnit...I'm excited to see those changes and hopefully see some of this potential realized.

Yeah, I don't think we'll see major, if any, changes on personnel. Clearly, Baalke has emphasized the "scheme" (i..e teaching/game planning) as THE biggest change of the year...and damnit...I'm excited to see those changes and hopefully see some of this potential realized.

Yup. Only personnel change we'll see is at LG. Would love to see B. Thomas win that spot. Excited to see what Foerster does with the group and if we implement more zone. I really just want to see some better pass pro while staying committed to the run.

Yup. Only personnel change we'll see is at LG. Would love to see B. Thomas win that spot. Excited to see what Foerster does with the group and if we implement more zone. I really just want to see some better pass pro while staying committed to the run.

No question. Only ones even remotely open is CB, ILB, NT and G. And like you said, there are going to be some huge battles at those spots too with current players and depth. The scheme and utilization of players for me is the most exciting shift for me.

For as much objective film as we watch in here thanks to thl408 and JD and others, I can only imagine all these position coaches with fresh eyes seeing the same things we are regarding strengths/weaknesses of each player. Hopefully that analysis alone means improvements in game planning and better personnel packages/designs towards our strengths.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 7, 2015 at 7:38 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone