LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

We can't draft great WR's Curse!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am going to say that in the last regime, we couldn't find a place to play for 5 guys with 1000 yd seasons. Talk about mass chaos and confusion....that was disgusting, the worst performance of any HC in the NFL in a long, long time. Granted the NFL is full of crappy coaches, with maybe a handful of very good ones. But with the list of good hands guys we had last yr and having no idea where or when to play them, in what grouping, on what routes....jeez, the list goes on forever. So I would be a bit reluctant to say that in the last 4 yrs we have had the drafting a good WR curse. You also have to add in the acquired WRs, and HaRo did the same thing with acquired WRs...no frigging idea what to do or where to put them...not to mention, what the heck to do with them.

So yes we have had trouble drafting good WRs, but we have had a much worse problem with our HC and OC knowing what the H to do with them. The HaRo episode literally made me sick. Baalke did an yeoman's job and HaRo took a big dump on it. THAT was the problem, not drafting good ones. Note, I am not saying we are drafting great WRs. But utilization ,a la Bellichek , who takes nobodies and in 6 weeks, half of them look like all pros. True he has brady , but the real deal has been the HC. If you want, pray for drafting good WRs. Me? I am praying for a coaching staff that knows what to do with whatever WRs we draft....way more important than getting the best one. Coach one up the best....and THEN you have something.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
we can agree on that! And we can agree all we want to do is for our niners to win!

I guess what I didn't get from the original post was why are we mad as fans because late rounders are panning out?

other than the 1st rounders we are talking about:

3 3rd rounders
1 4th rounder
1 5th rounder
6 6th rounders
1 7th rounder

Every team misses on later picks.

Yes, Baalke has done well throughout the draft and has build great depth...thank heavens, because we need it this year! Dial, Williams and Jerod-Eddy all came cheap! Dorsey was an excellent pickup, as was Justin. Carradine might just be the real thing and who knows about Okoye and Ramsey. That's just the DL...DBs are the same and LB we are fortunate as well he found Moody and Lynch.

WR is the one area the team has had major difficulty with and with Boldin, T Smith, Patton and Ellington they may have finally filled the cupboard!
Again, dtg, our big problem will be using all these guys properly, calling good plays, Playing to their strengths...you know, all the things that HaRo didn't do, regardless of the capabilities of the WR. This team has been crying out for really good coaching for 2 1/2 yrs. Somehow, I just think JT is the answer, but that all remains to be seen.

There is nothing like calling good plays and a great game plan with adjustments at halftime...none of which we saw in the last 3 yrs...to make a team that looks just mediocre on paper, play like madmen. And that is where I think (ok hope) we are headed.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 9, 2015 at 7:02 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Again, dtg, our big problem will be using all these guys properly, calling good plays, Playing to their strengths...you know, all the things that HaRo didn't do, regardless of the capabilities of the WR. This team has been crying out for really good coaching for 2 1/2 yrs. Somehow, I just think JT is the answer, but that all remains to be seen.

There is nothing like calling good plays and a great game plan with adjustments at halftime...none of which we saw in the last 3 yrs...to make a team that looks just mediocre on paper, play like madmen. And that is where I think (ok hope) we are headed.

True, but I always feel bad for the coaches when a team has areas of over-valuation. The OL was really not as good as many thought. If you value pass protection on the same level as power run blocking, Iupati would not have been considered one of the best OGs in the NFL.

WRs were improved but there was still only one truely great WR on the team...Boldin. Kaepernick "complemented" Johnson by talking about how good he was once CK figured out that he wasn't running the routes as designed. Ouch! Lloyd? No thanks. Crabtree?

So, while the team had more talent, it wasn't really effective. Do I blame Roman and Harbaugh for not realizing they had to make changes? Sure, but I also blame Baalke for bringing in WRs who were just not plug and play starters. They needed to dump Crabtree and go after a top WR...whether that was by trading up in the draft or a top FA.

Gore? He's going to a great situation for him. A QB with good pocket awareness and FG can really help with his blocking; and he can get those tough yards when necessary. He didn't fit well with Kaepernick. As a matter of fact, I don't believe Kaepernick is a good fit for the power run scheme. He's a guy who can scare people when he's the only guy in the backfield...perfect for the spread or other receiver heavy schemes. They figured that out last year and were trying to put four and five guys in routes but it was too late by then.

Sadly, I predict injuries this year will limit CK's performance. Running QBs just take a pounding and it looks like the refs are giving the D the benefit of the doubt when they hit him. They protect guys like Brady and Brees because they so seldom run and it isn't a big part of their games. They won't/can't give Kaepernick the same treatment.
What ever hex/curse u think we have it will be broken this month

Book it We move up 12th spot & select Devante Parker instant impact player.

I'm not worried about drafting great WRs anymore. Because at the end of the day, WRs in this NFL, just aren't worth 10mil+++ anymore.
Devonte Parker needs to look like a 49er on April 24th.

Share 49ersWebzone