There are 278 users in the forums

We can't draft great WR's Curse!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Part of the problem could be poor scouting, a lack of coaching and subpar development after drafting these guys. Maybe they need to reconsider what attributes they're looking for in a WR prospect.

Over thinking and Trying to out do others , he just needs to take the bpa
A great QB makes average receivers look better than they are.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
A great QB makes average receivers look better than they are.

Post that in the Alex thread..I double dog dare you
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Arnaz Battle was basically Hines Ward, but we didn't use him that way. I don't think Ward was great, but he had a great career. WR is one of those positions that depends heavily upon other factors to achieve success. Coaching, game plan, play calling, QB performance/preference, OL blocking, respectable run game, and other passing options all greatly influence production for most WR. It's very rare to see a WR who will succeed no matter what.

Sorry but Arnaz Battle couldn't carry Hines Ward's jockstrap. He was a poor, poor man's Ward at best.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Baalke has drafted ONE WR in in the 1st (30th pick) and the rest have been developmental picks in the 4th or later. Also looks at all the vets Baalke brought in that have taken snaps away from these young players...no excuses for the AJ pick, but Trent hasn't really tackled the WR position in the draft since becoming the GM IMO.

He was in SB mode and thought seasoned (old) vets would contribute more than rookies....

I've always wondered if Baalke's philosophy is to avoid budget busting positions in the early rounds of the draft--NT, WR, CB. He seems to go for solid talent and depth over star potential unless he finds one at a reasonable price in FAcy. In five years he has avoided these positions in rounds 1 and 2 except for Jenkins at #30.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 31, 2015 at 7:48 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Arnaz Battle was basically Hines Ward, but we didn't use him that way. I don't think Ward was great, but he had a great career. WR is one of those positions that depends heavily upon other factors to achieve success. Coaching, game plan, play calling, QB performance/preference, OL blocking, respectable run game, and other passing options all greatly influence production for most WR. It's very rare to see a WR who will succeed no matter what.

Sorry but Arnaz Battle couldn't carry Hines Ward's jockstrap. He was a poor, poor man's Ward at best.

Why? Ward wasn't faster or tougher. He was used more and better. I don't think Battle was a great WR, but I don't think Ward was either. I think Ward played on a team that asked to do everything he was good at and Battle played on a team that asked him to be a cookie cutter WR. I really don't think Hines Ward was anything special, but he was tougher and smarter than most WRs and willing to get his jersey dirty. I think Battle was the same type of guy.
Why? Ward wasn't faster or tougher. He was used more and better. I don't think Battle was a great WR, but I don't think Ward was either. I think Ward played on a team that asked to do everything he was good at and Battle played on a team that asked him to be a cookie cutter WR. I really don't think Hines Ward was anything special, but he was tougher and smarter than most WRs and willing to get his jersey dirty. I think Battle was the same type of guy.

I always appreciated Battle for his toughness and professionalism. Guy was playing at peak capacity.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I always appreciated Battle for his toughness and professionalism. Guy was playing at peak capacity.

Razzle Dazzle was an overachiever with what we had at QB
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Just had to do it...
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Just had to do it...
C'mon ..we had no QBs worth a damn...it has nothing to do with today

Every since we got rid of Alex, we have had a 1000yrd WR every year.....things that make you go hummmm.....
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on Mar 31, 2015 at 9:03 PM ]
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Every since we got rid of Alex, we have had a 1000yrd WR every year.....things that make you go hummmm.....

And cue you know who...

i think patton and ellington will both be good. both of them showed some skills late last year when they were actually allowed to play. we should see them perform this year if geep is gonna spread things out for Kap and let the dude play in a system hes used to.
Maybe this year will be different
  • buck
  • Veteran
If you really want to stress the negative, you can not forget

Lance Alworth 1962

Share 49ersWebzone