LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by jcs:
Not claiming I know but I wouldn't be surprised to see our first three picks all go to Defense with Passrush, LB and CB all needing bodies.

Agreed.

I've said it a thousand times but I don't see a rookie not named Quenton Nelson or Isaiah Wynn being better than who we have and I can't see us spending a premium 1st on a guard.

That said, rookies at DE and LB should be able to come in and start and make an impact.

Now that is an interesting comment. Unbelieveable, but interesting.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Where has our standards gone?

we know who Garnett is... we don't know s**t about Cooper, but that he hasn't played well enough to be kept on his original team..... and Tomlinson struggled early on, but played better as his season went on. I still don't fully trust him as a starter, but at least I trust him more than Garnett and Cooper.

we have a hell of a QB, and we couldn't bring ourselves to get of one those other guards available????

Jimmy has proven to be able to put up points without Garcon, and with inconsistent to horrible Oline play. Why role the dice again this year and rely on Jimmy's quick release?

Dang,. Way to go Afrikan. You're on a roll, man, keep it going. All we want is our FRANCHISE protected. And those who continue to maintain we are fine at OG, one has to wonder just exactly WTF they were watching last 5 games. We have a hell of a QB, and "couldn't we bring ourselves to get one of those other guards available.?" Right on Afrikan, right on. But we don't actually KNOW what Kyle is thinking so what is said here is just foo foo. Nobody here knows what Kyle is thinking but i dang well know he doesn't want to stake his chance, his one shot at HC, by getting that spectacular FRQB and then getting him injured because he didn't protect him. That just makes no sense. I think he gets Two OGs, and protects our FRANCHISE . Whatever, we will know starting on the 26 th of April and no matter what anyone posts here, nobody knows what Kyle will do. But my money is on him CYA, or covering his backside.. Can you imagine him explaining to Jedi Jed why he didn't get good OGs to protect Jed's $137 million purchase? I sure can't.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
We should not trade up for Nelson. Given our current situation and the lack of talent still existing in several key positions (G, LB without Foster and S), we should take BPA, whether its Roquan, Fitzpatrick or whoever can help us get over the hump.

Rams are SB or bust mode now, but there are also other good teams in the NFC, so we shouldnt get desperate and modify our draft and FA strategy just because they nailed it with the CBs and suh.

Agree here. They're positioning themselves for win-now. It could really backfire on them in a couple years. Teams that draft well, have a FQB and don't go crazy spending in FA are competitive year after year. The Pats haven't made it to the SB 8 times in 17 years because they won the off-season every year. They draft and develop and use FA to fill key holes with vets who bring a lot to the table.

Agree also. And i agree JD, that Rams have made a miscalculation. They are definitely going win now. This doesn't look like a team going for staying power. They are looking like go for it all this yr. As for Nelson, sure i'd Love him here...but not if we have to move up for him. That means we lose at least one other starter , maybe two . If he falls to us great. But if some teams surprise us and leave QBs unpicked, there could be not much value at that 9th spot. If Landry is there, fantastic. But if all our wants are gone because QBs were NOT picked early (i know, i doubt it but you never know) at #9, i wouldn't mind trading down and getting at least a pick somewhere between 21 and 30 and maybe even another. It all depends on exactly who Kyle wants, and may very well be someone we aren't even thinking about. Still and all, the best OLs...come in the first round. Sure there are examples of late rounders doing well, but on average, if you continue to draft starting OLs in rounds 3, 4, 5, you are going to end up with a 3rd, 4th or 5th rate OL. We've done that already. If a guy like NElson falls to us, that is even more fantastic. But NOT to move up for him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

we know who Garnett is... we don't know s**t about Cooper, but that he hasn't played well enough to be kept on his original team..... and Tomlinson struggled early on, but played better as his season went on. I still don't fully trust him as a starter, but at least I trust him more than Garnett and Cooper.

we have a hell of a QB, and we couldn't bring ourselves to get of one those other guards available????

Jimmy has proven to be able to put up points without Garcon, and with inconsistent to horrible Oline play. Why role the dice again this year and rely on Jimmy's quick release?

Dang,. Way to go Afrikan. You're on a roll, man, keep it going. All we want is our FRANCHISE protected. And those who continue to maintain we are fine at OG, one has to wonder just exactly WTF they were watching last 5 games. We have a hell of a QB, and "couldn't we bring ourselves to get one of those other guards available.?" Right on Afrikan, right on. But we don't actually KNOW what Kyle is thinking so what is said here is just foo foo. Nobody here knows what Kyle is thinking but i dang well know he doesn't want to stake his chance, his one shot at HC, by getting that spectacular FRQB and then getting him injured because he didn't protect him. That just makes no sense. I think he gets Two OGs, and protects our FRANCHISE . Whatever, we will know starting on the 26 th of April and no matter what anyone posts here, nobody knows what Kyle will do. But my money is on him CYA, or covering his backside.. Can you imagine him explaining to Jedi Jed why he didn't get good OGs to protect Jed's $137 million purchase? I sure can't.
these guys get it. i love steve young. the poster. i still say we should have traded the player to the chiefs for derick thomas but thats besides the point.. but steve i think that it is very realistic the team takes a guard in round one and four and both would be better than what we have now

What guards should have we got??

Grab Norwell and make him a square peg to fit in a round hole??

All this whining about not getting a guard just for the sake of it really shows some posters knowledge and how much they DON'T know about specific schemes and how important it is that we get guys who fit.

What guards should have we got??

Grab Norwell and make him a square peg to fit in a round hole??

All this whining about not getting a guard just for the sake of it really shows some posters knowledge and how much they DON'T know about specific schemes and how important it is that we get guys who fit.

Just for the sake of it? They need to upgrade the position because it was terrible last year.
I am hoping the 49ers FO has someone smart enough to figure out how to upgrade the position, someone better at talent eval than the posters on this board.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
So how do we fee about Connor Williams at G in our scheme? Seems like an ideal fit imo

Quite a few negatives on many of the top OL. NFL.com profile contains--
"I heard all about how good he was last year and then I turned on the tape and what I saw wasn't a first-rounder at all. I can go back to 2016, but who is he now? I have to know who he is and who he's going to be in three to five years. Scouting is projecting." -- NFL team personnel executive

Wynn sounds like a better player to move to OG but...hard to figure. Both are listed around the middle to bottom of the first round.

Agreed, Wynn for the win, will have to be creative to get him though, he's going late 1st-early 2nd.

Imagine the play flexibility with Staley-Wynn-Richburg!!!!!

No way Wynn gets past Seattle.

Seattle now has holes all over it's defense so...lot of really good defenders will fall around their pick.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Just for the sake of it? They need to upgrade the position because it was terrible last year.
I am hoping the 49ers FO has someone smart enough to figure out how to upgrade the position, someone better at talent eval than the posters on this board.

There wasn't any guards who were fits and didn't have huge question marks.

Scheme fit means everything so yes, spending 66 million on Norwell who isn't a fit would be signing him just for the sake of signing him.

Scheme fit means everything so yes, spending 66 million on Norwell who isn't a fit would be signing him just for the sake of signing him.

Do you think there are multiple guards in this draft who are can challenge Cooper Tomlinson and Garrett and fit into the scheme? Nelson, Hernandez or Winn maybe?
I am fine with upgrading via the draft.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Mar 27, 2018 at 8:14 PM ]

If they didn't want to spend $13M on a young all pro G, fine...get Sitton for $8.5M.

Like Kyle himself said, the interior is certainly going to be challenged now.

That said, they probably thought they were fine with Richburg on Donald...then later, the Rams signed Suh.

We'll see how the youth responds.

Do you think there are multiple guards in this draft who are can challenge Cooper Tomlinson and Garrett and fit into the scheme? Nelson, Hernandez or Winn maybe?
I am fine with upgrading via the draft.

Hernandez will struggle mightily in a zone and Nelson isn't a fit either.

Isaiah Wynn
James Daniels
Braden Smith
Scott Quessenberry
Frank Ragnow
Sean Welsh
Sam Jones
Brian Allen
Mason Cole
Austin Corbett

To name a few who are ideal zone linemen.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Mar 27, 2018 at 8:26 PM ]
If they didn't want to spend $13M on a young all pro G, fine...get Sitton for $8.5M.

That said, they probably thought they were fine with Richburg on Donald...then later, the Rams signed Suh.

Sitton isn't really a zone guard and has major injury concerns.

Sitton isn't really a zone guard and has major injury concerns.

I'm pretty sure Shanahan and Lynch know what they are doing. Let's not act like Baalke and Tomsula are running the show.

Have some damn faith.
Originally posted by rathman4481:
I'm pretty sure Shanahan and Lynch know what they are doing. Let's not act like Baalke and Tomsula are running the show.

Have some damn faith.

Overall, agreed. But they are new to this and to think they won't make mistakes along the way, would be blind fandom.
Share 49ersWebzone