There are 209 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcs:
I think a lot of the issues the middle of the line was having were coming from our Center. Richburg changes all that.

I personally believe most of our issues came from Hoyer and Beathard.

Our line goes from pathetic to top 10 overnight as soon as a competent QB with pocket presence starts? Slightly convienent.

I said the same thing for years when Kap was starting and guys were blaming our Oline for pass protection problems. 50% if not more is on the QB when it comes to pass protection.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I personally believe most of our issues came from Hoyer and Beathard.

Our line goes from pathetic to top 10 overnight as soon as a competent QB with pocket presence starts? Slightly convienent.

Maybe if all you're looking at is sacks. Garoppolo was still getting leveled far too often. His highlights alone are full of moments where he gets the pass off right before he got mauled by a defensive lineman.

They still gave up far too much pressure. You don't have to be sacked to wind up getting injured. Getting driven into the ground after the ball has left your hand still hurts.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Maybe if all you're looking at is sacks. Garoppolo was still getting leveled far too often. His highlights alone are full of moments where he gets the pass off right before he got mauled by a defensive lineman.

They still gave up far too much pressure. You don't have to be sacked to wind up getting injured. Getting driven into the ground after the ball has left your hand still hurts.

+1
Originally posted by zeppfan1:

+1

Well he did have Beadles as his RT. Pretty sure getting Brown back over at RT will be a massive pass protection upgrade for Jimmy. Have already upgraded pass protection at the center position as well. That's 2 of 4 weak spots upgraded for Jimmy already.
Seems the FO is OK with this starting line. The weak link at OC is out, so the guards can get help from either side. With Kilgore traded, it is guaranteed that an OG will drafted at one point. Any vet signing would just make sure Beadles is not necessary to be kept.

Originally posted by mayo49:
My OL post Free Agency.

LT- Staley
LG - Garnett
C - Richburg
RG - Tomlinson
RT- Brown
My OL to start the season.

LT- Staley
LG- Garnett
C- Richburg
RG- Tomlinson
RT- Brown

If Tomlinson is still starting next season.....

This would be an epic fail. I don't trust Garnett one bit either.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
My OL post Free Agency.

LT- Staley
LG - Garnett
C - Richburg
RG - Tomlinson
RT- Brown

I could live with that. It beats what we had last season. I really am hoping Garnett lives up to his draft status. I'm also hoping we upgrade from Tomlinson either in the draft or a late FA cut.

How? Fusco was a solid and consistent starter every game. Tomlinson was as inconsistent as Kilgore and better suited for a power system. Same with Garnett, hence why he was asked to transform his body.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 16, 2018 at 7:43 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

+1

of course this is the truth. some people either deny this happened or think its just life and its no big deal

+1

Yup, QB pressures and hits were exactly the same. Sacks went down. I'm guessing Kyle had to game plan differently and add additional help via backs and tight ends in pass protection.

You do NOT want to count on your FQB masking your OL play for 16 games. He'll quickly develop all sorts of bad habits Kaepernick, Gabbert, Hoyer and BeatHard-style.
Originally posted by cciowa:
of course this is the truth. some people either deny this happened or think its just life and its no big deal

How many years in a row now have we seen terrible OL play?

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Giedi:
With respect to Kilgore and the guards, we have four guards on the team currently, not counting Kilgore. And I just took a quick look at the signed NFL free agent guard situation and there are a lot of lesser tier guards still available in free agency. I can see ShanaLynch bring in a tier 2 or tier 3 OT's or OG's later in the free agency after the market has died down a bit and these guys can be signed on the cheap. Guys that are young and can move, but maybe they have issues with injury, wrong scheme, or simply aren't appreciated by their respective teams. Most importantly I hope they bring in players that they can coach up in the ZBS. Now I mention this because we've just added a real fast RB1 in McKinnon, the thing about *fast* RB's is that you don't have to sustain the block too long in order to make these fast RB1 guys effective. If the O Lineman can just get in the way of the D Lineman, with the proper scheme, you really don't need Tier 1 O Linemen across the board. An example would be a draw play, O linemen would just let the D Linemen pass rush right by them and the scheme opens up the holes for McKinnon to shoot through. O Linemen don't need strength to make a draw play work, they just need enough quickness and agility to keep in front of the D Lineman as he blows past the O Line and tries to get back to tackle the RB.
you make some good points, imho.

with Jimmy G's quick release the o-line doesn't need to hold their blocks forever on passing downs either.

On tosses and sweeps, with McKinnon so dang fast - it makes the O Line blocking easier (in a sense) because the defense has to respect McKinnon's speed and cheat to the outside and that makes them vulnerable on the inside runs or reverses. I think McKinnon really changes the offensive line calculations - and in order to really make McKinnon's outrageous cap numbers work, they really need a Right Tackle that can move. As much as I love Trent Brown in the passing game, he has to improve his movement in this offense because if McKinnon is going to be featured as a all down back - I don't like him running too much off tackle plays on Brown's side - where he's running head to head with the Linebackers outweighing him by 50 pounds plugging the gap he's running into. I'd rather he run out of bounds if the defense cheats and guesses right when they run a toss. That means I really think they will draft a right tackle in the draft (if they don't get one in free agency) that fits Kyle's outside zone run better than Trent does. I think that's one reason why they didn't extend Brown.
Originally posted by NCommand:

+1

Yup, QB pressures and hits were exactly the same. Sacks went down. I'm guessing Kyle had to game plan differently and add additional help via backs and tight ends in pass protection.

You do NOT want to count on your FQB masking your OL play for 16 games. He'll quickly develop all sorts of bad habits Kaepernick, Gabbert, Hoyer and BeatHard-style.

True! I was thinking they brought him in too early last year and were going to get him killed! But even one new OLman can make a huge difference. Richburg is much better than Kilgore, which will help both guard spots raise their level of play. That said...if Nelson fell to them in the first round I'd be pretty excited. Other than that...fingers crossed now that most top FAs have signed. Mewhort? Pugh?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
True! I was thinking they brought him in too early last year and were going to get him killed! But even one new OLman can make a huge difference. Richburg is much better than Kilgore, which will help both guard spots raise their level of play. That said...if Nelson fell to them in the first round I'd be pretty excited. Other than that...fingers crossed now that most top FAs have signed. Mewhort? Pugh?

Oh heck yeah. If both Brown and Staley are at form and Richburg picks up this system quickly, those are 3 ELITE pass protectors. That alone could pay massive dividends.

But I'm with you...very worried about the two G spots at the moment.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 16, 2018 at 8:36 AM ]
Richburg is now the 2nd highest paid Center in the NFL. That's nuts. Only Linder (Jax) is making more.
And also think of it this way; he's only the 2nd-3rd "starter" Lynch has brought in for Kyle's O-Line. That's if you count Laken and Fusco as "starters".

My point is he's been stuck with the same guys overall. It will be interesting to see what he does early in the draft. I would love us to grab a LT at 9, even though I'm in the minority on that.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by cciowa:

How many years in a row now have we seen terrible OL play?

ok, in my opinion... going back to 2011. we have always been a bad pass blocking team .. better at run blocking but always bad at pass protection in my opinion... lets find a vet guard out there somewhere. draft an elite guard on day one or two. maybe grab one late to. do we need to find a guy who can also play back up center
Share 49ersWebzone