LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 129 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Would be interesting if they took a LT in the first round. Have him ready to replace Staley and/or Brown this year? Might be a better investment than many of the top players in this draft. Orlando Brown, Kolton Miller or Connor Williams? Might even be able to trade back and take their guy.

If we traded back and did that I would be fine.
Would be interesting if they took a LT in the first round. Have him ready to replace Staley and/or Brown this year? Might be a better investment than many of the top players in this draft. Orlando Brown, Kolton Miller or Connor Williams? Might even be able to trade back and take their guy.

Originally posted by TheXFactor:

If we traded back and did that I would be fine.

Agree, that would be an interesting move. Unexpected, but we need a new joe sometime. I guess the only thing going against that is the fact we have NO inter OLs that can pass protect. None. And that is the #1 thing that has to be done this FA /draft ...protect our FRANCHISE. Jimmy IS the franchise. And to not protect him would be criminal. So whlle the idea is good, we best be getting the guys we HAVE TO HAVE to get our QB protected. I get the deal with Joe. Has a yr, maybe 2. But then we need a plug in and that is a tough nut. LT. Trent could slide over but then we need a RT. It is a good idea...but we gotta finish the QB job. We got the hard part right. We got him. NOw equally hard is protecting him on a team with OG to OG where they cannot pass protect him.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Naysayers: We are f**ked. Staley's an old fart, Brown recovering from injury. Gilliam, Fusco, Kilgore Garnett (nuff said)

Me: yeah, ya never know

Nice.

"It's too early to panic...but it is a major concern."
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Agree, that would be an interesting move. Unexpected, but we need a new joe sometime. I guess the only thing going against that is the fact we have NO inter OLs that can pass protect. None. And that is the #1 thing that has to be done this FA /draft ...protect our FRANCHISE. Jimmy IS the franchise. And to not protect him would be criminal. So whlle the idea is good, we best be getting the guys we HAVE TO HAVE to get our QB protected. I get the deal with Joe. Has a yr, maybe 2. But then we need a plug in and that is a tough nut. LT. Trent could slide over but then we need a RT. It is a good idea...but we gotta finish the QB job. We got the hard part right. We got him. NOw equally hard is protecting him on a team with OG to OG where they cannot pass protect him.

True Paso, but they may be able to find interior linemen in free agency. The only OG that looks logical in the top 10 is Nelson and he will likely be gone. Also not sure they will spend that high a pick on an interior guy. Another thing I'm curious about is--how will the guys currently on the team respond to another off season in this scheme? They may be better than we think. There are a couple of guys who might fall around the niners mid rounds--(according to CBS) Teller from Va Tech and Hearn from Clemson.

Brown does not seem mobile enough to be a LT. He struggles at times with speed rushers on the right, not sure he'd be better on the left. But Staley may have a few years left so this may be a problem solved down the road.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Naysayers: We are f**ked. Staley's an old fart, Brown recovering from injury. Gilliam, Fusco, Kilgore Garnett (nuff said)

Me: yeah, ya never know

Nice.

"It's too early to panic...but it is a major concern."

The good news is that it shouldn't be any worse than it was during the 5 game winning streak. That lineup from LG to RT abysmal and was decimated by guys injured but did just enough to win. I actually think Fusco stepped up once Brown went down.
Man I am starting to have a (bad) feeling we will basically have the same offensive line in 2018 as we did in 2017. Starting out at least.

LT- Joe Staley: He's a rock and still playing at a high level. We do have to start thinking about his replacement though. It may be Trent Brown or maybe a draft pick.

LG- This is the one spot where I do think we will most certainly have a new guy starting. I think we sign a solid veteran FA and draft a guy in the first 3rds to eventually start here. Joshua Garnett will probably also get a shot to start here or possibly RG. I also think Laken Tomlinson played pretty well down the stretch and I think he's worth keeping around. I think he still has some upside and I like him more than Fusco.

C- Daniel Kilgore: The worst center in football got an extension. I just don't see why they like this guy so much. He would make a heck of a back-up but I just don't think he is good enough to be a starter. Maybe if you had two pro-bowl guards around him then maybe you get by with him but that ain't happening anytime soon. I really hope we at least draft a center who can push him and take over in 2019. I love the kid Daniels from Iowa. He would be an absolute perfect fit here and in our system.

RG- Brandon Fusco: Another guy I just don't see why he is thought of so highly by PFF and some others. I mean he's not terrible or as bad as Kilgore but I don't think is a very good starter or should be a starter on a playoff team. I think though they bring him back and he opens up the year as a starter with a draft pick maybe pushing him down the road. Again, Joshua Garnett could also get a look here.

RT- Trent Brown: I thought we were doomed when he went down for the season with his shoulder injury but we not only survived but went 4-0. Still, I consider him very valuable and a really good player who still has room to get better. I really hope he can get in shape, stay focused and healthy and have a long career here. I think he can take over at LT when Staley is finished.

Depth: This is where I think we will certainly improve. I see us drafting a guard in the first 3 rounds and possibly the first round. We won't be able to get Quenton Nelson but I would look at a guy like Issiah Wynn if we trade down. I REALLY like him. I also think we will draft a center, again I love James Daniels and I also like the Cole kid from Michigan. Eric Mangurson should be back and adds good, versatile depth. Same for Gilliam and Joshua Garnett is a wild card.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
A thought:

In this era where quick passing (under 3 seconds) is controlling the league, should bookend Tackles be valued as high anymore? It seems as though protection up the middle to keep the space in front of the QB for the quicker throws seems more valuable. Defenses are rarely able to get around the edge because the ball gets out so quick in this era. Now, defenses are beginning to find more ways get pressure up the middle.

In a word? Yes.

The short passing game has been a staple of NFL offenses for Decades and the importance of Tackles has never been higher.

Edge defenders are getting faster and more athletic and teams will pay a premium for them. As long as that is true, teams will need tackles to keep their 25-30 million dollar men upright.

Amen Marvin, amen.

And nuts, Giedi, i saw that. Well there are 10-12 contenders from college, all with their own shortcomings, noted in some of the major mocks (kiper for one).
One or more of them may be the guy but nobody really has more than one consensus potential EDGE, and the rest are , well...you pick 'em. As for FA, teams are not known for shedding an all pro EDGE.
I think the addition of the new coach (Chris Kiffen?) Is a key addition here, because John played for Monte Kiffen before Dungey took them to the super bowl. I hope he will help ShanaLynch evaluate the draft edge rushers and pick the best one. I truly belive if we get an elite one, well be super bowl bound. If not, we'll still be in the playoffs but will fall short. Also there will still be trade opportunities up until the 7th week trade deadline, just like how we got Jimmy. Bellicheat didn't want to give Jimmy to us but he ended up giving him to us anyway. Same thing might happen to Ziggy or Demarcus too.
One way to solidify the OL at Guard is to draft an OT, have him play LG until Staley retires, then move him out to LT. It's been done many, many times before in the NFL to great success.
Why are Tyvis Powell and Zane Beadles still on the roster? Powell (39.5 PFF) was terrible when given a chance and Beadlejuice (32.9) couldn't block Stephen Hawking.
Seriously, what are the 49ers waiting for?
[ Edited by JimmyJesus on Mar 1, 2018 at 7:56 PM ]
Tyvis Powell is pretty cheap so I get it.

Zane Beadles is set to make $4M. Unless they like him for depth (which is possible because they used him when Brown was out) he could be gone.

Need someone to replace them first
User cciowa will explain this succinctly.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Tyvis Powell is pretty cheap so I get it.

Zane Beadles is set to make $4M. Unless they like him for depth (which is possible because they used him when Brown was out) he could be gone.

Cabana Fund took a hit with the Jimmy G contract.
whats the rush
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
whats the rush

Give them an opportunity to tryout for their local flag football team.
[ Edited by JimmyJesus on Mar 1, 2018 at 8:32 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone