There are 208 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I thought about the possibility of moving Boone for a mid rd pick as well. Especially if we got our guy at 15 and don't have to trade down. Then we can move Boone to nab a pick to give us more leveraging in landing the ILB prospect we are bound to select rd two or three. Our first four picks would ideally be WR DL ILB OL IMO

This may be a possibility if they really like Thomas, but it might still leave them short unless the draft a G in the first few rounds. That would be OK with me. Once a guy has held out I'm a bit less trusting...unless it's a solid veteran. I think your list is pretty good...except for IMO...what position is that? Sorry...couldn't resist!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Kilgore was our best lineman in the beginning of last season and played very well until he got injured. I think he comes back as the starter and will dominate his position.

Boone could easily fit in as the swing tackle and play well when doing so.

I think Thomas and Martin will be much improved.

I don't think taking an OL in the first three rounds of the draft is necessary unless a stud falls into our laps.

It will come down to coaching AND I hope JT & coaches go into the vault and study what Bill put together.

Unlike JH, who did not do that when he said he would.

Boone should be our starting RT. We should try Davis inside. Davis always has issues in protection. Not issues you can't work around, but issues none the less. He is a bull at the point of attack though and just blows up whoever he engages. It will be easier to engage for him as a guard, and he's got a build much more suited to a guard than Boone does.

If we really want to get our best players on the field in a position to excel this is what we would do IMO.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Panthers claimed OT Jonathan Martin off waivers from the 49ers.

The 42nd overall pick in the 2012 draft, Martin's name has long been bigger than his game. He's struggled mightily in stints with the Dolphins and 49ers, and generated negative publicity for "outing" Richie Incognito as a "bully" during the 2013 BullyGate Scandal in Miami. The Panthers are searching at tackle, claiming Martin and signing Michael Oher to a cheap two-year deal. They'll continue to add talent in the draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/309223/stevan-ridley-will-begin-fa-visits-this-week

49ers waived OT Jonathan Martin.

The "Bullygate" victim lasted only one season in San Francisco. Reunited with his college coach Jim Harbaugh, Martin played 661 snaps across 15 appearances (nine starts), but was among the least-effective tackles in the league. With his mentor in Harbaugh now gone, the 49ers apparently didn't see the point in keeping Martin around. Martin is still only 26 (in August), but has never been an effective NFLer.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7434/jonathan-martin

Is among least-effective tackles in the league just a nice way to say among the worst tackles in the league?
Originally posted by tondiman:
Draft OL with first 2 picks.....unless there is a shutdown corner available. Our number one need is OL, then CB, then ILB.

Don't argue, just say yes.

No.
Originally posted by buck:

Is among least-effective tackles in the league just a nice way to say among the worst tackles in the league?

They have to be nice, or they'll be labeled as bullies.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Kilgore was our best lineman in the beginning of last season and played very well until he got injured. I think he comes back as the starter and will dominate his position.

I don't think taking an OL in the first three rounds of the draft is necessary unless a stud falls into our laps.

It will come down to coaching AND I hope JT & coaches go into the vault and study what Bill put together.

Boone should be our starting RT. We should try Davis inside. Davis always has issues in protection. Not issues you can't work around, but issues none the less. He is a bull at the point of attack though and just blows up whoever he engages. It will be easier to engage for him as a guard, and he's got a build much more suited to a guard than Boone does.

If we really want to get our best players on the field in a position to excel this is what we would do IMO.

Agree
Originally posted by Evilgenius:

Will never happen. Boone is getting paid to be a G. After last years hold out I can't imagine the Niners are inclined to do s**t to encourage another one.
Get rid of Boone
Originally posted by wailers15:
Get rid of Boone

And Just who would be the backup OT???
Get rid of Boone

Maybe Pears? Thomas could do in a pinch. I wouldn't be in favor of dumping Boone unless we can get better than a third for him. We're probably getting a 3rd or 4th comp for him when he leaves in FA, anyway. If Pears shows in PS that he can get the job done at tackle, and MMart/Kilgore/Thomas/Looney are getting it done inside, then I have no issues letting him go for the right deal. I wouldn't deal him before the draft, though. Too many unanswered questions, imo.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I actually think we're pretty well set at the interior line positions. I question Boone's foot speed and lateral agility, and he REALLY struggles to maintain his pad level when he has to move laterally, as is required during a zone run. I think he's ideal in the swing tackle role, at least for the year (I think he gets paid by someone else in 2016). I think Kilgore, Thomas, MMartin are our best bets at the interior line positions, and I'd actually put Thomas at RG to help Davis in pass pro, and to take the majority of the snaps agains a 3-tech. I will be surprised if this happens, though, since Boone is making A LOT more money than MMartin or Thomas. If Boone really does get benched, he could be a decent backup for both G and T positions, but a mid-round backup interior lineman wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Never thoight about Boone as a OT, but Center would be perfect for him if we become a WCO type agian
Get rid of Boone

well first off who says Boone is the backup OT. they do have chris martin. but I'd say it will be a rookie or Pears.

I'm not sure if you have watched any 49ers games over the last 2 years but he is crap as a pass blocker. the run game is about it where he is effective.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Get rid of Boone

Why get rid of Boone?

We already have to replace one of our starting guards.

Originally posted by Constantine:
I actually think we're pretty well set at the interior line positions. I question Boone's foot speed and lateral agility, and he REALLY struggles to maintain his pad level when he has to move laterally, as is required during a zone run. I think he's ideal in the swing tackle role, at least for the year (I think he gets paid by someone else in 2016). I think Kilgore, Thomas, MMartin are our best bets at the interior line positions, and I'd actually put Thomas at RG to help Davis in pass pro, and to take the majority of the snaps agains a 3-tech. I will be surprised if this happens, though, since Boone is making A LOT more money than MMartin or Thomas. If Boone really does get benched, he could be a decent backup for both G and T positions, but a mid-round backup interior lineman wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Never thoight about Boone as a OT, but Center would be perfect for him if we become a WCO type agian

Boone started out as an OT for a few years. I don't think I'd want him at C. I have terrible images of him accidentally tripping Kap and his 6'8" height resulting in him taking several passes to the back of the head.
Boone started out as an OT for a few years. I don't think I'd want him at C. I have terrible images of him accidentally tripping Kap and his 6'8" height resulting in him taking several passes to the back of the head.

Lol
Share 49ersWebzone