49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Draft Price and Ragnow

And an OT
  • dj43
Originally posted by mojave45:
I hear Magnusson is playing today?

I was watching him after he replaced Gilliam. IMO, he played well enough to see more PT.

On PP he moved his feet well and stayed front of his man. Didn't get overpowered. Got out in front on a screen play where he got to the second level but the guard following him (think it was Tomlinson) couldn't get to the guy coming in behind so the play didn't gain very much. They didn't run much to his side so I couldn't say much about his run blocking.

There was one play where a pass rusher got through to his left but it looked like that side of the line was not in sync at all. Fusco went to help Kilgore with Cox and left a big hole that Magnuson could not get down to in time.
Would be amazing if Magnuson ends up turning into a rotational type piece with upside to be a starting RT. Perhaps holding onto Staley and having Brown at RT is best, and let Magnuson continue to grow. Brown is a FA after next season, and if the FO doesn't want to pay him top dollar, perhaps Magnuson takes over RT? Ideally Brown stays and slides to LT when Staley calls it quits.
Might as well:

Trenton Brown - Laken Tomlinson - Erik Magnuson - Brandon Fusco - Darrell Williams
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Would be amazing if Magnuson ends up turning into a rotational type piece with upside to be a starting RT. Perhaps holding onto Staley and having Brown at RT is best, and let Magnuson continue to grow. Brown is a FA after next season, and if the FO doesn't want to pay him top dollar, perhaps Magnuson takes over RT? Ideally Brown stays and slides to LT when Staley calls it quits.

Well i can't argue about most of that ,but Magnus....did you see him for the plays he was in? Man he got spun around like a top...thot it was fusco for awhile, but nope Magnus. So even tho i wanted to see him, now that i did, he looks to be a fusco clone. So i suggest:

Monday morning early have a second visit of the grim reaper.

Cuts for Mon morning.

Fusco

Kilgore

Beadles

Magnus.

Yep, can 'em all. What ? You cry out? Who would we have for an OL then?

Well, i would answer no worse than we have at present and that would put the heat on Lynch to get us some stiffs off the street. Why? Well because if we keep anyone of the gruesome foursome, somebody will undoubtedly use one or more of them, and we just saw for the 2nd week in a row...that doesn't work. So my suggestion is to cut all four of them Monday a.m earliest, and fill in with whoever lynch can. Guys out of football, guys on D....you really think any of them could play worse than that crew today? Impossible. So cut 'em all....Monday.

That leaves Joe S if able to play, Laken, Williams of PS, Trenton , and Armstead, cast and all. Try that crew. No idea who snaps the ball but somebody will. There just isnt any other ways to handle this OL. We've had problems , bad problems before, but never with 4 of the 5 OL starters. Kwame Harris was an all time awful. But these 4 guys today were equally as bad...except there were 4 of them. So cut 'em all. Let's do sometihing differetn. This was not working. Some good news was while in, Gilliam looked like he could actually play. I don't know if we have another OL on the squad, but if not, bring someone over from the DL....for. Center that may be a Wal mart parking lot job, or choose your own parking lot. Whatever, lynch has a lot To do between now and next week.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Oct 29, 2017 at 4:50 PM ]
Put a beast LG next to Joe and I think he gets much better. Might be doing too much too late in his career.
Staley--draft/fa--draft/fa--draft/fa--Brown
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Tag you're it!
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I really enjoyed watching Kilgore getting bench pressed by Fletcher Cox.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Draft Price and Ragnow

And an OT

Yes, it's beginning to look like they need an OT more than OGs. A really top center should help the guards.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
So what in the heck are they gonna do now at OT for next week? Man, Arizona looked like a good chance the 49ers get a W, but it's not looking good at all.

Staley - Should be out a few weeks, correct?

Brown - Out at least another week or two?

Gilliam - Did not look like he was coming back for a few weeks if at all.

Beadles - Needs to go back to Center and stay away from the OT position.

Magnuson - Will most likely start, but he can't start at both positions!!!

Darrell Williams Jr. - I guess?

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
So what in the heck are they gonna do now at OT for next week? Man, Arizona looked like a good chance the 49ers get a W, but it's not looking good at all.

I'm not worried, KS will sign one of those week 8 probowl F/A OT's.....
[ Edited by jcs on Oct 29, 2017 at 11:49 PM ]
Lol

I bet we bring back Gardner. He was here last year and this year in the preseason and has previous exp with the Hou teams that Benton coached. He also plays both guard spots.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

No excuses! They should have won all their games! LOL! I really want them to put Hoyer back in at QB so Beathard's career isn't destroyed!
  • dj43
Things were slow last night so I went back and watched Magnuson play. Some good. Some bad. He played 40 snaps after Gilliam was hurt. Overall one obvious flaw is that he tends to set up too high in pass protection. Anytime anyone does that, they are going to get beat. As the game went along, he did improve in that area. At one point he got low on Eagle NT and pancaked him on a run play. Nice. Staff should focus on pad level this week.

He has pretty good footwork and can keep up with speed guys when he recognizes that is what he needs to do. Was a bit slow on the uptake there but did improve. On two consecutive plays near the end of the game, he was toasted by a speed rush outside by #55 for a sack on Beathard on the first play. On the next play, #55 tried the same move and Magnuson kept up with him and defeated his rush. Unfortunately interior gave up a sack to Curry.

Over all, on 21 snaps, he had little to do with the play. Either it went away from him or a screen over his head or quick to the outside. Shanahan did not appear to want to put much of a load on him.

On 14 plays, he did a acceptable job.

On 5 plays, his failure to execute contributed solely or in part to the play failing.

Kid showed some promise but still raw. Let's hope the coaches can work some magic this week.
Share 49ersWebzone