LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Based on this game, Gilliam solidified his swing-T job. Theus blows. Slow, no power at all, unathletic, etc. Interior, nobody stood out but Barnes was good at C. I'm watching for #75 Darrell Williams Jr. right now.

With Garnett most likely going on I.R. to start the year, it looks like the 8th OL battle will be between #62 Magnuson, Erik LG & #75 Williams Jr., Darrell LT.

PS: #75 Darrell Williams Jr. is legit. He has a little Trenton Brown to him. I can see now what MB was talking about. He started the 4Q but I imagine after this performance, he'll be running with the 2's against Denver.

I said back in May that Magnusson would make this team. He's a solid offensive lineman.

Williams Jr looked good too, it'll be a interesting battle between the two to see who makes the final cut.

Yeah, I'm really hoping both get moved up to 2's next week to see if they can elevate.
trent, Garnett, kilgore, zane, Joe S. ,fusco, Barnes, Magnuson, Derrell WIlliams...could we carry 9, and not include Gilliam with his million dollar contract? Early on it would be only 8 with josh on PUP.

Derrell Williams can play OT/OG. Gilliam can just play OT, i believe. And theus won't make the cut.
Magnuson C,OG, OT.
Barnes C, OG,
Fusco C, OG.

that group gives us plenty of cover at C, reinforces OT but at same time can play OG(WIlliams), and then Fusco and Barnes cover us at C and OG. Kyle and john are both big on playing more than one slot on OL. Will the Gilliam contract change their minds? I hope not.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
trent, Garnett, kilgore, zane, Joe S. ,fusco, Barnes, Magnuson, Derrell WIlliams...could we carry 9, and not include Gilliam with his million dollar contract? Early on it would be only 8 with josh on PUP.

Derrell Williams can play OT/OG. Gilliam can just play OT, i believe. And theus won't make the cut.
Magnuson C,OG, OT.
Barnes C, OG,
Fusco C, OG.

that group gives us plenty of cover at C, reinforces OT but at same time can play OG(WIlliams), and then Fusco and Barnes cover us at C and OG. Kyle and john are both big on playing more than one slot on OL. Will the Gilliam contract change their minds? I hope not.

Gilliam has experience and seemed to fare well...
Staley,Zane,Kilgore,Fusco,Brown,Barnes,Gilliam,Garnett, last spot to a young buck Magneson/Williams?
If josh isn't ready for season, then we could sign say magnuson, and question is could we possibly sign a 9th OL? I'd love to see a lot of both guys and give each a chance to earn a spot.

Actually like to see more of Gilliam to be sure he is a lock..and not just his contract. Odds are though, with the contract he'll make it even if one of the other two, or both even, are better than Gilliam.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 16, 2017 at 3:16 PM ]
If josh isn't ready for season, then we could sign say magnuson, and question is could we possibly sign a 9th OL? I'd love to see a lot of both guys and give each a chance to earn a spot.

Actually like to see more of Gilliam to be sure he is a lock..and not just his contract. Odds are though, with the contract he'll make it even if one of the other two, or both even, are better than Gilliam.

The next two games are gonna be huuuugeeeee.
Whatever, we are looking at Barnes, fusco and gilliam vs the former pears, devey and Martin. Nobody tell me we aren't way way better off than going into this yr than last with the amazing 3-some ...none of which were worth a lick.
this is the main unit on the offense that scares me, even with Garnett heathy they are questionable, Shanahan has to be the genius he is and call plays where Hoyer gets the ball out fast or like ive seen a lot of so far, move the pocket, play action roll outs with Goodwin going deep and put it up, sry I'm imagining madden in 2 weeks lol .
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Magnuson C,OG, OT.
Barnes C, OG,
Fusco C, OG.

Staley,Zane,Kilgore,Fusco,Brown,Barnes,Gilliam,Garnett, last spot to a young buck Magneson/Williams?

Sounds good if they don't wind up putting Garnett on the PUP or IR. Several of these guys can play center and most are versatile enough for week to week channges due to minor injuries.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
this is the main unit on the offense that scares me, even with Garnett heathy they are questionable, Shanahan has to be the genius he is and call plays where Hoyer gets the ball out fast or like ive seen a lot of so far, move the pocket, play action roll outs with Goodwin going deep and put it up, sry I'm imagining madden in 2 weeks lol .

Lol nah you're good cause Shanny plays REAL LIFE Madden. Im not putting Garnett on the PUP but our line low key has good versatility.

Got faith in Shanny to use pass to setup the run...always keeping other teams off balance to execute the run game or if you catch fire in pass then who knows.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Magnuson C,OG, OT.
Barnes C, OG,
Fusco C, OG.

Sounds good if they don't wind up putting Garnett on the PUP or IR. Several of these guys can play center and most are versatile enough for week to week channges due to minor injuries.

Sometimes it takes someone going down for another to emerge. If i had to choose now id go with a tackle like Williams over Magneson cause we have guys to play G/C. But until Garnett comes back Magneson is more valuable.

We need to see another game... Id be hard to trust Shanny incase were planning on doing something sneaky or simply dont wanna give any exposure to those guys.

Lol nah you're good cause Shanny plays REAL LIFE Madden. Im not putting Garnett on the PUP but our line low key has good versatility.

Got faith in Shanny to use pass to setup the run...always keeping other teams off balance to execute the run game or if you catch fire in pass then who knows.

Magnuson C,OG, OT.
Barnes C, OG,
Fusco C, OG.

Sometimes it takes someone going down for another to emerge. If i had to choose now id go with a tackle like Williams over Magneson cause we have guys to play G/C. But until Garnett comes back Magneson is more valuable.

We need to see another game... Id be hard to trust Shanny incase were planning on doing something sneaky or simply dont wanna give any exposure to those guys.

Good reasoning, good post. Magnus is more valuable until josh comes back and unfortunately I'd take williams over Gilliam. He was taken early as insurance, and given good contract (1yr). Then draft and
UDFAs, FAs yielded a lot more than Shan and John had anticipated. Not knocking signing Gilliam...just saying more real talent showed up once Gilliam was signed. Still it is real money...thing is neither williams nor magnuson make it day one on PS. The more i think about it, the more i think shalyn is going to do something sneaky....we don't want either of those two guys to go. Like the way you think Smokes.

The way we go thru OLs I would love to carry extra...but same goes for DBs, and that is hard to fit all that into 53.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 16, 2017 at 4:45 PM ]

Magnuson C,OG, OT.
Barnes C, OG,
Fusco C, OG.

Good reasoning, good post. Magnus is more valuable until josh comes back and unfortunately I'd take williams over Gilliam. He was taken early as insurance, and given good contract (1yr). Then draft and
UDFAs, FAs yielded a lot more than Shan and John had anticipated. Not knocking signing Gilliam...just saying more real talent showed up once Gilliam was signed. Still it is real money...thing is neither williams nor magnuson make it day one on PS. The more i think about it, the more i think shalyn is going to do something sneaky....we don't want either of those two guys to go. Like the way you think Smokes.

The way we go thru OLs I would love to carry extra...but same goes for DBs, and that is hard to fit all that into 53.

Appreciate it. Honestly next two games of Williams' play could decide Gilliams future. But it looks like theyre grooming Williams for LT.
Zane,Gilliam,Barnes,Williams&Magneson would be 10 OL that have potential and experience.

Gonna be very interesting.
Yup, question is, how do you do it? Like you said, some "sneakery" may be involved. Williams at LT IN 3 yrs, but great backup until? Luv it.
Yup, question is, how do you do it? Like you said, some "sneakery" may be involved. Williams at LT IN 3 yrs, but great backup until? Luv it.

So right now DJ Jones and Williams are two guys id like to stash on IR one way or another. They might take a lil time but could be push starters by next year. You just dont know but lineman are valueable and worth holding onto for potential purposes.

Magnuson C,OG, OT.
Barnes C, OG,
Fusco C, OG.

Dtg, thinking back to last two yrs, can you even imagine the difference in the caliber of talent? It just seems so way over the top better. Man, it makes baalke look like...well...umhhh. And it makes John and Shan look like wizards. Just the OL alone, not to mention front 7, both qbs, added RB, Juice, it just doesn't stop.. WRs 300% better than the guys just drawing a paycheck last yr. HC awesome . GM same. Only thing needed...healthy DBs who can cover.
Dtg, thinking back to last two yrs, can you even imagine the difference in the caliber of talent? It just seems so way over the top better. Man, it makes baalke look like...well...umhhh. And it makes John and Shan look like wizards. Just the OL alone, not to mention front 7, both qbs, added RB, Juice, it just doesn't stop.. WRs 300% better than the guys just drawing a paycheck last yr. HC awesome . GM same. Only thing needed...healthy DBs who can cover.

Yes, I believe Baalke painted himself into a corner and stuck with a plan rather than being flexible and creative. Doubling down on injury picks rather than trading up for better value now looks to be pretty bad judgement. John and Kyle came in with a clean slate and no past to defend, so that gives them freedom to move and create.

I always felt Baalke was a hard worker and did a good job keeping the team out of cap hell, but that he wasn't the global thinker a team needs at the helm. I believe we both wanted a Head of Football Operations guy long ago. That looks better and better in hindsight.
Share 49ersWebzone