There are 210 users in the forums

What are our core strengths?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just read this article: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/18/jed-york-49ers-got-away-from-core-strengths-under-jim-harbaugh/

Jed says that Harbaugh got away from our core strengths and that is why he's gone. It got me thinking... what are these core strengths that he's referring to. Here is what I came up with.

Strengths of our 2011 team (which Harbaugh inherited):

- Defense was amazing against the RUN and in the RED ZONE. Also good at preventing big plays.

- All around great special teams

- Great running offense

- Ball control / low turnover / low risk offense

- Take what the defense gives you philosophy on offense

How did later teams up to 2014 compare:

- Defense remained strong all around, but regressed against the RUN and in the RED ZONE almost every year.

- Special teams got worse every year

- Offense remained run oriented

- Offense tried to force big plays, took bigger chances, more turn-overs, less time-of-possesion

So IMO, Jed has a good point. Harbaugh did get away from our core strengths. What do you guys see as our core strengths and did Harbaugh move the team away from them?
Special Teams needs to become dominant once again.

Offense needs to be run first, but also have the big play element.

The defense needs to be great but we will see if that is possible after the departures of Willis/Borland/Culliver and potentially Smith.
Running the Ball and Gashing Playcation passes. And Stopping the Run and Getting Pressure with Front 4 without having to Blitz.
Sarcastic know it all's! Oh I thought you were talking about the zone.
The strength of this team has been the front 7 on defense. But now you subtract Willis, Smith, Borland, and Bowman is an unknown, Brooks has slid, McDonald is gone, so is it a dominant from 7? Our secondary is medicre, and the offense has talent, but was atrocious last year.
This is why Tank will have to step up big time. We are losing our two starters and he is supposed to be the future. Every year people say our secondary is mediocre, and our pass defense finishes in the top 10. I have faith in the guys we have and I'm sure we will add a CB in one of the first three rounds.
Stopping the run, top notch running game, good tackling, good coaching, good turnover ratio.2014 was a joke, too many obstacles to overcome, and it just looks like more of the same for 2015 with a less proven coaching staff.
[ Edited by prime21 on Mar 18, 2015 at 6:53 PM ]
nobody f**king knows anymore
Originally posted by prime21:
Stopping the run, top notch running game, good tackling, good coaching, good turnover ratio.2014 was a joke, too many obstacles to overcome, and it just looks like more of the same for 2015 with a less proven coaching staff.

Unwillingness to change the offense and use the tools available.

Poor discipline in the second half on offense and and unwillingness to change to adapt to the defense.

Poor Red Zone offense

Good defense

Poor special teams, no threat to take it all the way.

Now we have a new coaching system to see if they will improve on all of the weaknesses of our team last year.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
run defense, pass defense & run offense...
pass offense sucks, special teams is mediocre
coaching is now up in the air...only time will tell

Originally posted by blm7754:
Just read this article: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/18/jed-york-49ers-got-away-from-core-strengths-under-jim-harbaugh/

Jed says that Harbaugh got away from our core strengths and that is why he's gone. It got me thinking... what are these core strengths that he's referring to. Here is what I came up with.

- Defense was amazing against the RUN and in the RED ZONE. Also good at preventing big plays.

- Great running offense

- Defense remained strong all around, but regressed against the RUN and in the RED ZONE almost every year.

- Offense tried to force big plays, took bigger chances, more turn-overs, less time-of-possesion

So IMO, Jed has a good point. Harbaugh did get away from our core strengths. What do you guys see as our core strengths and did Harbaugh move the team away from them?
I agree n,I have seen the Offense get worse each year after 2012,and the clock management continude to be an issue as well as the Non-exsistence of Half-Time adjustments,Harbaugh was being Out-Coached by very bad teams the last two years,losing games they should have won,Barely winning games that should have been BLOWOUTS...But Jim Harbaugh was the Greatest thing that has EVER happen to the 9ers and the Media-Lynch MOB has called for the HEADS of JED and TRENT for committing such a HORRIBLE LOWDOWN CRIME...it just blows my mind How people are Harbaugh Nuthuggers,so freaking Blind to the TRUTH because all they can see is the success the team had in the Playoffs and they were in the Playoffs because of the DEFENSE and the talent of the players on Offense...JIM blew it @ the 5 Yard line in the SB,but Wisdom is correctHarbaugh chocked, not once did VD or Gore get a chance to touch the Ball but Mr.Mediocre did 3 times Chock Artist.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
I agree n,I have seen the Offense get worse each year after 2012,and the clock management continude to be an issue as well as the Non-exsistence of Half-Time adjustments,Harbaugh was being Out-Coached by very bad teams the last two years,losing games they should have won,Barely winning games that should have been BLOWOUTS...But Jim Harbaugh was the Greatest thing that has EVER happen to the 9ers and the Media-Lynch MOB has called for the HEADS of JED and TRENT for committing such a HORRIBLE LOWDOWN CRIME...it just blows my mind How people are Harbaugh Nuthuggers,so freaking Blind to the TRUTH because all they can see is the success the team had in the Playoffs and they were in the Playoffs because of the DEFENSE and the talent of the players on Offense...JIM blew it @ the 5 Yard line in the SB,but Wisdom is correctHarbaugh chocked, not once did VD or Gore get a chance to touch the Ball but Mr.Mediocre did 3 times Chock Artist.

VERY good call!

- Great running offense

Originally posted by prime21:

don`t underestimate this staff,there are 4 guys on this that have had HC expierence ,.I look for our offense to run a pure WCO and it will score and have a Killer-instinct,I look for our defense to surprise some people.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

- Great running offense

It figures i would disagree completely and i find jrouter agreeing.
To the original OP: you talk about core values and the 2011 team and throw in the old "which he inherited" line. The offense harbs and roman inherited ranked 24th out of 32 teams in 2010. Then harbs and co took them to 11th. The defense they inherited was better, it ranked 16th, so middle of the pack. And then harbs and fangio took them to 2nd in 2011. Before harbs came in our core strengths sucked. We had some good players but thats it. Harbs had his faults but the team was always competive and people viewed us as one of the best in the NFL. Last year did suck but there were too many things spiraling out of control. Injuries, rumors, suspensions, etc.
[ Edited by jacklegniner on Mar 18, 2015 at 9:44 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone