There are 163 users in the forums

Chris Borland's Early Retirement is a DISGRACE to the NFL and game of Football

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know this won't be a popular opinion, and I will likely get blasted for it-- I don't care. I have very strong opinions about this.

Getting the opportunity to play in the NFL is a dream to many, and even of those many, few have the talent and ability to be any good.

I am sick and tired of hearing people complain about post-career injuries... as if they are making a sacrifice for nothing in return. No, you are making millions, being able to give your family the best kind of life, doing what you love doing, gaining fame and a chance to create a legacy that will be around long after your life has ended.

It's the cost of doing business. Should U.S. soldiers just start quitting right after they start their term because they "thought about it... and it's just not safe" to be in the military? No, because THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE SIGNING UP FOR LONG BEFORE... just like NFL players do. If you're so stupid that it took you until after you made it to the NFL to realize it was dangerous, maybe you already had brain damage.

At the very least, make this decision BEFORE you declare for the NFL draft, BEFORE a team invests it's valuable resources and a draft pick into you.

The game of football is more than just entertainment to a fan like me, especially at the NFL level. This move is a slap in the face to every player who put their blood, sweat and tears into making and couldn't, it's a slap in the face to the guys like Marcus Lattimore who had the talent but were betrayed by their body.

It's a slap in the face to every player who left it all out on the field in their career. Guys like Steve Young who had to be torn away from the game they loved. Guys like Frank Gore.

It's a slap in the face to every young man out there who has their dreams of big time football deferred.

It's a slap in the face to your teammates, who sacrifice for each other and for the game.

I PRAY that Baalke drops every player off his draft board that isn't absolutely PASSIONATE and OBSESSED with football. It's clear to me that Borland just looked at the NFL as a means to an end.

**No, I do not feel the same way about Patrick Willis. Willis gave everything he had to the game, I respect his decision to want to walk away if he feels like he would just be a former shell of himself on the field. Much different than quitting on your team when they NEED you the most, you are perfectly capable and millions are depending on you... because you are paranoid of what might happen.

Personally, if that is his attitude, I'm GLAD he's gone, and don't f**king come back.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Calm down there buddy!!

Who cares if he retires.. we are not gonna miss him... so what if he led the team in tackle, his limited athletic ability was bound to be exposed anyways..

Trust me, he will be easily replaced... we have the young Skov and Moody in line... both are as good, and yet both are faster...

Don't forget that Borland gave up as many big plays as much as he made them...

The guy made a choice and retire, lets all wish him luck and go about our business...

He really has done nothing, in my opinion..
Share 49ersWebzone