LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Retire #21 and #52?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Retire #21 and #52?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
2 HOFers gone in the same off season. THE SAME OFF SEASON
Absolutely both. Most prolific RB and LB in the history of the franchise. Were the faces of the team during the Harbaugh run
Originally posted by susweel:

In the off season before '91, they lost Ronnie Lott and Roger Craig to the Raiders. The next year, they lost Charles Haley to the Cowboys and the next one after that, Joe Montana.

It happens.
Originally posted by crake49:

In the off season before '91, they lost Ronnie Lott and Roger Craig to the Raiders. The next year, they lost Charles Haley to the Cowboys and the next one after that, Joe Montana.

It happens.

'99 offseason we lose Steve and then in the 2000 offseason we lose Jerry to the Raiders. Dynasty officially over...it's remembering the '90, '91, '92, '99 and '00 offseasons that lets me deal with this one.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Niners816:

It happens.

'99 offseason we lose Steve and then in the 2000 offseason we lose Jerry to the Raiders. Dynasty officially over...it's remembering the '90, '91, '92, '99 and '00 offseasons that lets me deal with this one.

Yes I remember those times clearly I just didnt see Pat hanging it up so quickly.

Totally agree. That's what makes this a little easier to deal with for me too.
Kap should change his number from 7 to 12 so he can rub it in the 1-2's faces after he kraps all over their upcoming season.
Yes I remember those times clearly I just didnt see Pat hanging it up so quickly.

I'm not gonna lie, pat retiring stings like a b***h. I was envisioning a Ray Lewis type career where he plays into his mid 30s.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Kap should change his number from 7 to 12 so he can rub it in the 1-2's faces after he kraps all over their upcoming season.

12 is retired...he would have to get John Brodie's permission like Dilfer did.

I wonder why kap doesn't go to his college number 10....kyle Williams is no longer here. Not that, that should have mattered.
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
i think forsure you got to retire 21, that shouldn't even been touched.

52 i thought by the end of it no question, but now that he's retired. i don know if its enough to retire the number.

They both have a strong case really but yeah I think gore has a better chance, how can a historic franchise not honor the all time leading rusher and great teammate like frank gore, he deserves it no question. Willis was my favorite 9er ever since his first game and you could make a case that he was the greatest defensive player we've ever had but did he do it long enough? Two more solid years I'd say no question about him either. f**kin sucks ass they're gone

Originally posted by beatintina49:
They both have a strong case really but yeah I think gore has a better chance, how can a historic franchise not honor the all time leading rusher and great teammate like frank gore, he deserves it no question. Willis was my favorite 9er ever since his first game and you could make a case that he was the greatest defensive player we've ever had but did he do it long enough? Two more solid years I'd say no question about him either. f**kin sucks ass they're gone

Ronnie Lott says hello. Hall of Fame, 6 times first team all-pro (from three different positions), 10 pro bowls, 1st team all-80's, 2nd team all-90's, led the league in interceptions twice, 4 ints returned for TD's in the same season ('86).
Originally posted by beatintina49:

Ronnie Lott says hello. Hall of Fame, 6 times first team all-pro (from three different positions), 10 pro bowls, 1st team all-80's, 2nd team all-90's, led the league in interceptions twice, 4 ints returned for TD's in the same season ('86).

Obviously, I love both players....but IMO Lott is on the short list of greatest DBs in the history of the sports. Willis wasn't at that point yet. I always laugh when they say how physical seattles secondary is, NONE of those guys come close to being in the same Galaxy as Lott....Lott was THE killer in a league of killers.

I say Gore gets uniform retired, willis gets induction into niners HOF.
Obviously, I love both players....but IMO Lott is on the short list of greatest DBs in the history of the sports. Willis wasn't at that point yet. I always laugh when they say how physical seattles secondary is, NONE of those guys come close to being in the same Galaxy as Lott....Lott was THE killer in a league of killers.

I say Gore gets uniform retired, willis gets induction into niners HOF.

I love them both too, but Lott is just on a level by himself. 7 first team all pro selections at three different positions? Are you kidding me?
Having your number retired is an even bigger deal than being in the hall of fame. It's like being in the hall of fame of hall-of-famers.

No friggn' way should he Niners retire 21 & 52.

BY was a great player too and HOF worthy IMO, but I wouldn't retire 97 either.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Mar 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM ]
My criteria is if you have to stop and think about it, than the answer is no. Montana...yes, Rice yes....Gore and P Willis....hmmm (then no).
Share 49ersWebzone