LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 137 users in the forums

Retire #21 and #52?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Retire #21 and #52?

Retire their numbers? How many championships did they win?

You retire number 16 and number 80 and perhaps a few others. They won rings.

As much as Willis and Gore contributed, they were very good players on a team that just wasn't quite good enough.

Those numbers should be recycled.
just Gore
Please stop using the R word.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

As much as Willis and Gore contributed, they were very good players on a team that just wasn't quite good enough.

Answer: the same number as Brodie, Joe Perry, Jimmy Johnson, Hugh McElhanney, Leo Nomelini, and Bob St. Clair.

Dwight Clark's number is retired. Would you seriously argue that Clark was a more accomplished and lauded player than Gore or Willis?

Go look at the retired jerseys for the 49ers then reread you post and realize how silly it is

http://www.49ers.com/team/history/retired-jerseys.html
21 deserves it.

52 does not. He bailed.
Retire both formally, but allow them to be used. Which I believe should be the case with many of our currently retired numbers that aren't 16, 80, 8, 42.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
21 deserves it.

52 does not. He bailed.

Willis was first team all pro 5 times. Even compared to Joe Montana, that's a solid career. Montana was first team all pro 3 times. Willis went to the pro bowl every year for his first 7 years. The guy is a first ballot Hall of Fame entry hands down.
Speaking of 21. Is anyone buying his jersey? or should I buy it since its discounted?
hell no, just because 52 retired doesnt mean his number should. we should not retire those numbers at all.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
21 deserves it.

52 does not. He bailed.

He bailed?? His feet were a mess. I would rather him go out now than limp around at 60% for 2 more years collecting a paycheck.

He went out honorably. He was honest with the team and himself. He didnt want to get paid like a pro bowl player if he wasnt going to be one. He saved the 49ers time and money.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:34 PM ]
Originally posted by prime21:
Retire both formally, but allow them to be used. Which I believe should be the case with many of our currently retired numbers that aren't 16, 80, 8, 42.

I dont think you understand what "retiring a number" means...

The whole point of the honor is that your number is actually retired...

That would be like winning a million dollars, but being told you wont actually receive any money. But at least you won, right?
Gore is the greatest rusher in franchise history so #21, for sure.

What do championships have to do with retired numbers? If Crabtree wasnt held in the endzone, and caught that TD against BAL, are we retiring 7, 15, 85, 99, and 94 too? Is that how it works?

Joe Perry
Hugh McElhenny
Jimmy Johnson
Bob St. Clair
Leo Nomellini
John Brodie
Charlie Krueger

Never won a championship with the 49ers. They all dont deserve their numbers retired for their greatness in the Niner uniform? Thats 7 of 12 guys without titles.

Its ridiculous to say Willis and Gore dont deserve it. They are 2 of the greatest players in 49ers history, and they gave us something great to watch during the dark years.

I cant believe the lack of knowledge and respect by some Niner fans.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
I dont think you understand what "retiring a number" means...

The whole point of the honor is that your number is actually retired...

That would be like winning a million dollars, but being told you wont actually receive any money. But at least you won, right?
I completely understand what retiring a number means, but there are several teams who retire numbers and honor them in the staium but still allow certain numbers to be worn.
Share 49ersWebzone