LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Has Baalke done a good job of getting some speed for this offense this offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has Baalke done a good job of getting some speed for this offense this offseason?

This team has lacked speed on offense for quite some time and IMO Baalke, who has done some questionable things this offseason, has done a nice job of signing Smith and Bush and adding a dimension we haven't had. Were gonna find out over the next year or 2 just how good Baalke really is.

So do you guys like the moves so far or is he failing to do his job well?
[ Edited by cmix23 on Mar 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM ]
I thin we've already known how good Ballke really is.
Speed isn't necessarily what we need either. Smith filled that void, now he's got other tasks.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Speed isn't necessarily what we need either. Smith filled that void, now he's got other tasks.

We absolutely needed more speed.

Yeah like finding another Patrick Willis and another Justin Smith.
We know Baalke is trying to add speed. Whether it will workout depends on the individual FA and the coaching staff going into the season. But Baalke seems to know what we've been lacking.

Our offense needs something..even the 3 straight NFC championship seasons our offense was never elite..I think it's a nice start
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I think he's addressed needs at WR, RB, and DL quite nicely so far. Still would like to see a quality vet CB brought in for a nice price. Not sure why we don't bring Cox back.

Yep. So glad we have Baalke, he's a great GM, dont care what others say.
He's done a good job in free agency so far. I'd still like to see him take a chance on Greg Hardy but that seems like pipe dreams. The draft will be huge because we need CB's and depth at G and WR
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cmix23:
This team has lacked speed on offense for quite some time and IMO Baalke, who has done some questionable things this offseason, has done a nice job of signing Smith and Bush and adding a dimension we haven't had. Were gonna find out over the next year or 2 just how good Baalke really is.

So do you guys like the moves so far or is he failing to do his job well?

Some may be frustrated Cox and Cully aren't coming back. But I think Baalke is doing just fine through the first week of the offseason. No doubt in my mind he's going to add even more talent on the Dline and CB through the draft.
Trent has us to the point where we can approach the draft and go BPA. Which is something we have not been able to do for YEARS. We always have needed this or needed that. At this point we can move up or down in the draft. Take almost any position and it would make sense.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

We absolutely needed more speed.

I disagree completely.
We aren't a vertical offense, this isn't Drew Brees's Saints team circa 2012.

We run the west coast offense, and like Baalke/Tomsula said, we are committed to the run game.
Torrey Smith on the outside, Vernon being utilized like he is supposed to, the addition of Bush, and Hunter coming back is more than enough speed for a team focused on the run game.
Still a work in progress bu if we play our guys we will be more explosive. My vision for this offense would be all about speed. Of course we need a tough OL and a possession guy or 2 but with a QB like Kap we need to be running teams out of the building whenever we get the chance. Baalke said we would run the football but we didn't say exactly how. Jed alluded to Kap being a part of it or at least using him in misdirection. We need to scare the living sh!t out of DC this upcoming season!
Originally posted by iLLEST209ER:

Yeah like finding another Patrick Willis and another Justin Smith.

Agreed. I think we are done making free agent moves for the offense. I also think it shows Baalkes mentality for what we are going to do in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see us wait until the 3-4th round to take an offensive player.
That's where you find replacemnts for those guys.

Originally posted by cmix23:

Our offense needs something..even the 3 straight NFC championship seasons our offense was never elite..I think it's a nice start

Yeah, a new offensive coordinator and a head coach who isn't stubborn enough to run the same plays every game or make halftime adjustments.
2012 was the perfect roster for our offense, and I think Baalke is trying to get back to those roots.
The new deep threat tandem of Smith and Davis is going to be deadly. Not only will it allow Kap to take some pressure off the box by slinging a couple down field, it's also gonna help our offensive line as well as Hyde.
Baalkes genius has yet to be recognized by some on these boards.
I disagree completely.
We aren't a vertical offense, this isn't Drew Brees's Saints team circa 2012.

We run the west coast offense, and like Baalke/Tomsula said, we are committed to the run game.
Torrey Smith on the outside, Vernon being utilized like he is supposed to, the addition of Bush, and Hunter coming back is more than enough speed for a team focused on the run game.

We need explosive plays to beat SEA unless you think Kap can be Tom Brady all of a sudden and dink and dunk his way to success. We will run the football but it won't always be a predictable power run shift and formation type thing. We will now use misdirection and put our QB on the move and in the option all over the backfield. We are going to open this thing wide open I feel. Of course I ain't in on any game planning sessions. I just feel it though. No one knows what's coming!
he has added some speed to the O, now lets see how the coaches use it.
Share 49ersWebzone