LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

OL Erik Pears

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Don't like Pears starting at all out there. Would rather see Brown start & take his lumps early

would you rather have J.Martin?

Yes, I would rather have J Martin. Both suck but Pears is NOT NFL Material
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Don't like Pears starting at all out there. Would rather see Brown start & take his lumps early

would you rather have J.Martin?

Nope no Martin. Brown looks better than Martin
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

Uh, yeah no. Pears was actually pretty decent as a tackle, its guard that he sucked at. The guy was brought in to be a backup tackle, a role he was perfectly suited for, the idea was not for him to be a starter but that is the hand the 49ers were dealt and Baalke is a moron because he didnt have a third string Pro Bowl tackle stashed away just in case Davis retired.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 30, 2015 at 3:09 PM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
and yet Pears started way more NFL games than Martin in the NFL, and was a right tackle on a Bills line that always was pretty good at pass blocking. not to mention his years with the Broncos.
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Uh, yeah no. Pears was actually pretty decent as a tackle, its guard that he sucked at. The guy was brought in to be a backup tackle, a role he was perfectly suited for, the idea was not for him to be a starter but that is the hand the 49ers were dealt and Baalke is a moron because he didnt have a third string Pro Bowl tackle stashed away just in case Davis retired.

Wasn't Martin brought in to be a backup too? Why does Pears get a hall pass? I don't get it.

And I'm not picking on you, I read that on here SEVERAL times a day and it's starting to bug me.
Originally posted by Homer:
Wasn't Martin brought in to be a backup too? Why does Pears get a hall pass? I don't get it.

And I'm not picking on you, I read that on here SEVERAL times a day and it's starting to bug me.

Martin was the same thing, a backup tackle forced to be a starter. Your backups should be able to hold up for a few games but not guys you want starting game in and game out. I think Pears is a better fit for the new system and a better player overall but I'm not sure what people were expecting, he was brought in to be a backup, nobody expected him to become the fulltime starter. Davis was an All-Pro tackle, you don't just replace a guy like that on the fly normally.
Pears as a backup > J. Martin as a backup. And considering the latter's retirement I'd say Baalke made the right move here.

Unfortunately the starter Davis also retired, promoting Pears. But even then, the same logic holds: Pears as a starter > J. Martin as a starter. Especially a retired J. Martin.
Originally posted by captveg:
Pears as a starter > J. Martin as a starter. Especially a retired J. Martin.
Id say its not even close either. Martin had two years of crappy tackle play and is now retired (probably would've retired earlier if not for Harbs liking him @ stanford)
Still think Pears can step it up unless father time really getting to him. he wasnt a bad tackle in Buffalo.
so uh, is Pears still the worst tackle ever in history of football ?

or is that notion out of the window since we don't face Von Miller every week ?
is deserves an apology

Shocked, that's all I have. Applaud the man
The man deserves some credit
Originally posted by pdizo916:
The man deserves some credit

He played well.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
yes.,, thank you for bringing this back up,, god knows people ripped on him enough in pre season so even if its just a few comments,, the guy did well in all areas monday night. i was pissed at martin but overall he was fine, hell even joe got a flag but i note we were much better in the second half. the coaches probably told them in a calm way what to fix and they did. and good job to our OL coach. he and the guys deserve a big hand
PFF graded him negatively in both run and pass pro last night. Accounted for 5 QB pressures. In fact, they counted 14 QB pressures on Kaepernick for the game. I'm HIGHLY skeptical of that number. I thought that was the cleanest pocket Kap had in years. No way he was pressured on 14 dropbacks. Pears and the line did a great job. Just have to clean up the penalties.
Share 49ersWebzone