LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Offseason All22 Film Study

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
I got lazy and left this unfinished. Now that the season is upon us, let's just wait and see how he does in a new offense. From what I saw in 2015, Gabbert seemed hesitant in throwing into tight windows. I can think of a few reasons for this. Maybe Geepsula seemed conservative in playcalling so I assume that carried over to them not asking Gabbert to aggressively throw the ball into tight windows. Perhaps Gabbert doesn't have confidence to make the throws.

One thing Chip does is ask his QB to make the tough throw. He keeps using the term "NFL open" meaning if there's just a little bit of separation, that's "NFL open". So throw it. Maybe this can translate into Gabbert pushing the ball downfield.

Now THIS is apparent to me. It seems like every highlight of Gabbert and Kaepernick are intermediate to deeper passes. It sounds like they finally worked on the underneath crossing routes (which run under these deeper clearing routes). I'm sure that's by design.

thl, no worries. Analyzing 3 games off the bench against 3 really good defenses is a decent sample size. I only wish you could do this for one game with an established QB to have a comparative sample.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 13, 2016 at 11:35 AM ]
  • thl408
Throughout the offseason I'll cut up pass plays from Shanahan's playbook that I think encompass the WCO and its traits, and other random plays. Nowadays, all NFL playbooks have variations of these timeless concepts so the plays I show will not be unique to Shanahan's playbook. At this time, I'm specifically interested in how he busts Cover3 and Cover1 coverage because that's what the 49ers will have to do to beat SEA and ARI. I believe Wade Phillips (LAR) will be mostly man coverage mixed with Quarters - at least that's what he did in DEN/HOU.

Let's first list some characteristics of a WCO offense as how Walsh ran it, although WCO includes how to practice, how to gameplan, etc. WCO is really a world view, not just an offense. But for the sake of the film study I'm just referring to the offensive aspects. The 49ers used WCO terminology with Harbaugh too, but because he had a run-first mentality, it may not have seemed like a WCO since WCO is normally associated with a pass-first mentality. Walsh didn't ask Monatana and Young to take snaps from shotgun, but times have changed and every QB will operate out of pistol/shotgun now. When in shotgun, add 2 steps to the timing. So a passing play with 5 step timing, out of shotgun, will be snap + 3 step drop.

- QB dropback in sync with WR routes
- ball control passing attack
- majority 3/5 step timing
- multiple personnel groupings that allow for a large variety of formations
- pre snap motion to help define QB reads, isolate matchups

WCO doesn't mean automatic championship, it's just that for those of us that grew up watching the 49ers of the 80s and 90s, it's nice to get back to the scheme that won the 5 rings.
Originally posted by thl408:
Throughout the offseason I'll cut up pass plays from Shanahan's playbook that I think encompass the WCO and its traits, and other random plays. Nowadays, all NFL playbooks have variations of these timeless concepts so the plays I show will not be unique to Shanahan's playbook. At this time, I'm specifically interested in how he busts Cover3 and Cover1 coverage because that's what the 49ers will have to do to beat SEA and ARI. I believe Wade Phillips (LAR) will be mostly man coverage mixed with Quarters - at least that's what he did in DEN/HOU.

Let's first list some characteristics of a WCO offense as how Walsh ran it, although WCO includes how to practice, how to gameplan, etc. WCO is really a world view, not just an offense. But for the sake of the film study I'm just referring to the offensive aspects. The 49ers used WCO terminology with Harbaugh too, but because he had a run-first mentality, it may not have seemed like a WCO since WCO is normally associated with a pass-first mentality. Walsh didn't ask Monatana and Young to take snaps from shotgun, but times have changed and every QB will operate out of pistol/shotgun now. When in shotgun, add 2 steps to the timing. So a passing play with 5 step timing, out of shotgun, will be snap + 3 step drop.

- QB dropback in sync with WR routes
- ball control passing attack
- majority 3/5 step timing
- multiple personnel groupings that allow for a large variety of formations
- pre snap motion to help define QB reads, isolate matchups

WCO doesn't mean automatic championship, it's just that for those of us that grew up watching the 49ers of the 80s and 90s, it's nice to get back to the scheme that won the 5 rings.

Yes!
  • thl408
The first game I'm watching is the Divisional playoff game between ATL/SEA. These are random plays so I'm not looking to tie it into gameplanning. For example, "Shanny called this play in the 1st quarter and it led to that play in the 3rd quarter". This would require taking notes as I watch the game and I'm not doing that.

ATL lines up with 3WRs to the right. SEA is in nickel personnel. When the #2 WR (Julio) motions over, Sherman follows across the formation. This confirms man coverage.

ATL: mirrored Slant-Flat concepts with a Snag over the middle (orange). 3 step timing.
vs Cover1 Robber. Orange defender is the robber. Blue lines show man coverage assignments.

The Snag route occupies two defenders which allows for the slant-flat combinations to be isolated. With the the robber being occupied, and the LB following the RB to the flat (blue), this gives a window to the slant.

Slant-Flat is about as old school Walsh as it gets and is how Jerry Rice got so much YAC.
  • thl408
This is a play we've seen many times over the past few years. It was in Geep's and Chip's playbook. The reason is because it can bust man and zone coverage and it all happens right in front of the QB's face.

ATL: red + orange = Mesh concept; yellow + red = Shallow Cross; 5 step timing
SEA: Cover3

Mesh concept is a man buster and won't work against Cover3 (zone), but what the two crossing routes does do is draw the attention of the two Hook defenders (blue). By doing that, it opens a passing window for the Curl route (yellow) that sits down in the soft spot between the two Hook zones.

One thing to notice here is how one of the crossing routes stop in the middle of the field (red route). This is a postsnap adjustment that is made when a WR that is running a shallow crossing route identifies zone coverage. There's no use to continue running across the field because if he is targeted with a pass, he'd get crushed by a LB (or worse, Kam Chancellor) attacking downhill. By stopping his route, he gives the QB a target and protects himself. This shows some flexibility in the play design for the WR to read and react to coverage. Not all offenses ask of this from their WRs.
Nice breakdown

I'm gonna do what I do and try to find playbook examples of these concepts. I like the notes that are contained in these PB.

1994 niners playbook

2002 Denver playbook

Note on these how the progression changed. The primary and secondary changed.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 25, 2017 at 3:07 PM ]

Dick Sherm was toasted on this play as well
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 25, 2017 at 3:40 PM ]

Originally posted by Niners816:

Dick Sherm was toasted on this play as well

Must have been that secret MCL injury that may cost them a 2nd rounder.
  • thl408
This play was broken down in a video segment by the ATL site, but there was one element to the play design left out that I thought was worth mentioning. From a high level, it's a flood concept using a Switch/Scissors concept, but SEA doesn't just play a landmark dropping Cover3, they will pattern match with their underneath defenders to help combat flood concepts. This play accounts for that.
From the ATL site (play breakdown at the 0:28 mark):
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-lounge/videos/Film-Session-Falcons-vs-Seahawks/fde816e1-006d-443a-ae7b-d3ef2ca09cf4

ATL: The video says this is a Scissors concept, and it is, but there's also a Switch element to it that is used to horizontally stretch the sideline 1/3 defender. A deep 1/3 defender is assigned to follow the outer most WR (#1) that goes vertical. The Switch concept will make it so there is a new #1 after the snap. If the deep 1/3 defender follows the original #1, he's toast.
*** #1, #2, #3 WR designation is just assigning a number to the route runners and how they are lined up. #1 is the outer most, next in is #2 (slotWR), next is #3 etc till it gets to the Center. It counts from each sideline inwards.

(not shown, presnap): The TE lines up wide. With a CB lined up across from the TE, this hints at zone coverage. When the TE motions in tight (orange), and no one follows him, that helps confirm zone coverage.
vs Cover3
Red is the #1 WR (outer most). The sideline deep 1/3 defender has his eyes on him.

Orange takes the flat defender with him. Red will break to the Post and take the deep 1/3 defender with him. The switch is about to happen and the deep 1/3 defender needs to be alert. What the video above doesn't mention is what the purple Hook defender (Kam) is facing. Normally, and I've seen this many times watching SFvsSEA, the Hook defender will pattern match any route coming his way to help out with flood concepts. This is where the purple crossing route comes into play.

Purple defender honors the crossing route and therefore doesn't match the yellow RB coming out of the backfield. The pic below is after the fact. The yellow RB already ran by purple.

Notice how the purple defender is influenced by the crossing route. 4 routes flooding one side of the field with each route designed to occupy a defender. Wide open in the red zone against a SEA defense doing what it does best (cover3)? That's great play design.
I LOVE that play ^

I just can't see Hyde running that route..making that catch.

is there a RB available in FA or mid to late rounds in the draft that might fill that role? Is McCaffrey in the 2nd unrealistic?

Is Droughn to slow to effective there? Heck he might not even be on the team next year.

Bruce Ellington lined up in the backfield? Would draw too much interest I would think.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jan 25, 2017 at 4:21 PM ]

I love the HB corner route on this play. It reminds me so much of how Walsh used to use the HB as the corner route. For example in this smash type play:

The particular Atlanta play reminds me of this play (doesn't have the drag though, but the scissor-flat combo is there)
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 25, 2017 at 4:36 PM ]
Notice how the purple defender is influenced by the crossing route. 4 routes flooding one side of the field with each route designed to occupy a defender. Wide open in the red zone against a SEA defense doing what it does best (cover3)? That's great play design.

That. Was. Sweet.
Share 49ersWebzone