LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Offseason All22 Film Study

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Nice find. It even says TE outside release. It looked odd because it seemed like Vance went out of his way to run into the defender.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by thl408:
ARI #6

vs Cover1 Robber

It looks like a 5 man rush (blitz), but the LB manned up on Draughn only threatens to blitz and will hold up short of committing to the blitz to see if Draughn runs a route. Blue robber takes away Vance's Dig route. Gabbert looks towards Boldin on the pivot route. With the CB playing loose over the top on Boldin, the CB is able to attack downhill and make the tackle.

+7. Punt.

- Robber takes away Vance (Gabbert's first read). Patton's route is short of the marker. Torrey gets some separation but that's a long throw to the far sideline. CB positioning allows him to make a good tackle on Boldin. - Good defense.

This is a big issue I have with Gabbert. He's not in trouble here, and if he looks directly past Boldin, he'd see Torrey Smith with great leverage on his man for the comeback. If Gabbert holds for half a second, that's a first down. I like that he gets the ball out quickly, but it's too damn quick at times.

TBF, that is Patrick Peterson covering T. Smith while having one of his best seasons on a pretty long throw to the sideline. You know what they say, "don't poke the bear". I don't think I would've tried that throw either.

I'd throw it (I mean, not with my arm). PP is very good, but he's not the scariest DB on that team, imo. If we avoid the correct read because of personnel, we might have no one to throw to. PP and Honey Badger are better DBs than our guys are at WR, so that's 2 targets down. Buchanon is better at covering TEs than our TEs are at getting open, so now we better hope one of the remaining 2 guys is open.

I believe in scheme and leverage. If Gabbert sees PP running even with Smith and throws him open out of his break, I don't see PP making that play.
What game analysis is next thl? What's your cumulative break down so far of Gabbert on 3rd downs.
This is a big issue I have with Gabbert. He's not in trouble here, and if he looks directly past Boldin, he'd see Torrey Smith with great leverage on his man for the comeback.

I don't agree with this assessment. He easily made the right decision on that throw, IMO. He could have waited for more, but he had a wide-open guy for a 10+ yard chunk.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
This is a big issue I have with Gabbert. He's not in trouble here, and if he looks directly past Boldin, he'd see Torrey Smith with great leverage on his man for the comeback.

I don't agree with this assessment. He easily made the right decision on that throw, IMO. He could have waited for more, but he had a wide-open guy for a 10+ yard chunk.

Wide open guy for a ten yard play and that gets criticized? Sounds like he made the right play to me. It took an extra second for Torrey to get clear a so he took the sure thing instead of waiting on a maybe. And with the line he was playing behind?

Except we didn't get 10 yards, because the Nickel played the sticks and encourage the easy throw and tackle to Boldin. We punted on the next play, and it wasn't close. Boldin was tackled 3 yards short of the sticks on third down.

Except we didn't get 10 yards, because the Nickel played the sticks and encourage the easy throw and tackle to Boldin. We punted on the next play, and it wasn't close. Boldin was tackled 3 yards short of the sticks on third down.

Well, shucks!

Ah. Then if it was 3rd down, he should've held out for more. That is, unless they were planning on going for it, in which case I think the throw to Boldin was the right move. That's the part of the field where going for it on 4th down makes a lot of sense.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jul 24, 2016 at 5:26 PM ]

Ah. Then if it was 3rd down, he should've held out for more. That is, unless they were planning on going for it, in which case I think the throw to Boldin was the right move. That's the part of the field where going for it on 4th down makes a lot of sense.

Never know what he was told to do.

We must not have been planning to go for it on 4th, since we punted. 3 yards is a doable distance on 4th, if that was the plan. I just think he rushed the easy completion because he was seeing ghosts.

I really like Gabbert's tools, but I need to see him show confidence down the field, past the sticks on 3rd down, and in a dirty (not non-existent; I'm not unreasonable) pocket, before I feel good about him being the guy.

I really like Gabbert's tools, but I need to see him show confidence down the field, past the sticks on 3rd down, and in a dirty (not non-existent; I'm not unreasonable) pocket, before I feel good about him being the guy.

I seriously doubt he'll ever be "the guy." You never know though; some far less talented QBs have made unbelievable improvements over the course of 5-6 years just by virtue of hard work and repetitions (Jeff Garcia for example).

In Gabbert's defense, he's suffering from a little bit of Alex-Smith-itis. He began his career playing in some of the hot-poop-sandwich'est offenses in the league.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jul 24, 2016 at 8:46 PM ]

We must not have been planning to go for it on 4th, since we punted. 3 yards is a doable distance on 4th, if that was the plan. I just think he rushed the easy completion because he was seeing ghosts.

Well, if he gets a chance to start he should see lots of "dirty pockets" behind a newly formed line . should be able to get plenty of chances to judge him on that... If he starts.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
What game analysis is next thl? What's your cumulative break down so far of Gabbert on 3rd downs.

The Bears game. I have to speed this up because I wanted to finish the entire thing before TC starts.
Originally posted by NCommand:

The Bears game. I have to speed this up because I wanted to finish the entire thing before TC starts.

Just wanted to jump in and say thanks.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
Here's that play. I don't know why Vance seemed like he wanted to win an outside release. He should have just taken inside leverage off the LoS (defender was lined up with outside shade). It was as if he stemmed outside then realized he was running an inside breaking route.

Vance ran it like we used to in 1994. In fact here is a play that is eerily similar to this play (of course formation and personnel being totally different)

This is typical wrong DROP COUNT TO TARGET pattern...

Had the drop back came under center, Gabbert would have ended up a little deeper and giving him more time to find VANCE so wide open over the middle instead of just dumping the ball off a crossing short route that never had a chance..
Share 49ersWebzone